F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP ZF8HP70 Transmission Tuning (TCU)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamal302
I believe I received a version of 1, but have not been able to really wring out the car since getting it back Friday.
The shop said the tune may have compromised burps (related from their conversations with VAP), but that they were still there.
I added sports cats to the valvetronic exhaust with this trip, and the burp is enough to irritate my neighbors from blocks away.
So for me the "compromised" burps are entirely satisfactory. If work allows in the next few days I will try to get some video.
This is promising news! Apart from the sports cats what other mods have you done (ECU tune, pulley)? Looking forward to a video when you get a chance.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pezza
This is promising news! Apart from the sports cats what other mods have you done (ECU tune, pulley)? Looking forward to a video when you get a chance.
Right now the only mods are valvetronic exhaust and sports cats, a no power tune is applied to eliminate CEL with the sports cats, and to raise the rpm limit to work with the TCU tune.
If I hit my lap time goal on the 1st day of a NASA weekend in Feb at the track I will go stage 1 tune for the second day, with stage 3 to follow once I get the pulleys installed.
Fair warning valvetronic + Sports cats is LOUD! I love it when pressing on, but am researching adding an electronic vacuum pump to quiet the cold start a bit.
With the combo of sports cats and VAP Valvetronic, I was looking for a sound level where loud mode was no longer the default and arose when I am pressing on or wanted to be raucous, and it has delivered in spades.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:31 PM

Popped out a lunch to get a bit of footage.
Video should start just before a couple of the modified burps.
The duration of burps does seem to be a bit shorter, and the burps seem to largely be gone when shifting at wide open throttle and high rpm.
Overall I remain pleased. I don't think I noticed they were shorter before because my car is louder than it was prior to the cats.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Popped out a lunch to get a bit of footage.
Video should start just before a couple of the modified burps.
The duration of burps does seem to be a bit shorter, and the burps seem to largely be gone when shifting at wide open throttle and high rpm.
Overall I remain pleased. I don't think I noticed they were shorter before because my car is louder than it was prior to the cats.

https://youtu.be/BvC5Y1dEuuE?t=767
Thanks for taking the time to post the video. A couple of observations...

1. Your exhaust sounds evil! It's loud even at idle, significantly louder than a stock V8 SVR that I test drove
2. You have the V8, I have the V6s. Missed this on your sig line before so I don't think we can directly compare VAP tunes. I don't hear any upshift burps in your video but I think that the V8s don't do this even as stock. I hear sufficient crackles, bangs and pops on the overrun when keeping the revs up to keep anybody happy. To me they actually sound better than the stock "machine gun"-like pops that are overkill and annoying IMHO.

I think your car sounds awesome, like an F-type on steroids! I expect you will notice a step-wise improvement in your track times with the TCU tune, Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes in the future.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if someone with the V6 + tunes can get VAP to write them one to maintain the upshifts burps successfully. Your Dad maybe??? :-)

Old 01-31-2023, 04:40 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post the video. A couple of observations...

1. Your exhaust sounds evil! It's loud even at idle, significantly louder than a stock V8 SVR that I test drove
2. You have the V8, I have the V6s. Missed this on your sig line before so I don't think we can directly compare VAP tunes. I don't hear any upshift burps in your video but I think that the V8s don't do this even as stock. I hear sufficient crackles, bangs and pops on the overrun when keeping the revs up to keep anybody happy. To me they actually sound better than the stock "machine gun"-like pops that are overkill and annoying IMHO.

I think your car sounds awesome, like an F-type on steroids! I expect you will notice a step-wise improvement in your track times with the TCU tune, Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes in the future.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if someone with the V6 + tunes can get VAP to write them one to maintain the upshifts burps successfully. Your Dad maybe??? :-)
Lol, I've been working on my Dad. His warranty is up in September. I think I will be able to convince him to do the tunes.
Sports cats is probably going to be a hard "no" from him now lol.
Thanks I am super happy with the exhaust set up, I may try to find a way to tone down the cold start though. I did ask that they keep the stock pops, I didn't want for it to be too obnoxious.
The burps sound a bit different between the 8 and the 6. I played with the paddles to make sure there were burps in my Dad's car.
In the Feb track day, my dad is sitting it out so naturally I will be trying to track both cars lol.
I should be able to get some in car audio from both cars when I do so.

Linked video below has some examples of the v8 burps stock. My burps now occur under part throttle, but not so much at WOT.
They also are a bit shorter than they were stock. With more seat time I am sure I'll be able to get them on demand (like exhaust crackles).

Old 02-20-2023, 06:58 PM
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
Most of the clients applying our TCU tune's are aimed at the next step in improving something like a 1/4mile time and/or trap speed. If I made a file meeting your requests to meet "both worlds", this would not do much to improve track performance. Out of +50+ edited inside a TCU file, I might only be leaving something in range of 3-4 maps edited...
Does the TCU tune get rid of the car’s tendency to upshift and get lazy in Sport if you’re not driving spiritedly? I notice most times when I drop it into Sport it revs to ~3500 and after a while it drops to ~2500. I’d like to be able to drop it in Sport and capture a higher rev to be able to roll race without having to shift manually. Most times when I drop it into Sport and hit the pedal’s kick-down switch, it won’t downshift to capture a higher rev for the pull. If I aggressively tap the throttle a couple times, sometimes I can trick the car into downshifting but it’s inconvenient and inconsistent.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:20 PM

Not to discourage the trans tune as I am very much enjoying it, But if you shift to manual in D rather than sport the car will still upshift for you (at least with the 16s and 18s.)

Old 02-20-2023, 07:42 PM

Not to discourage the trans tune as I am very much enjoying it, But if you shift to manual in D rather than sport the car will still upshift for you (at least with the 16s and 18s.)
Good to know, thanks! I usually live in Sport when I engage paddles so hopefully a non-issue for me.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:10 PM
Default It’s the Real Deal

I just installed the TCU tune on my VAP Stage 2 ‘17 R and wow! Much faster shifts, more pull after each, and it just keeps going when you rip it! I went out today and ran into an Audi R8 (~2022 but couldn’t tell if he was a “Plus”). We pull up to a light and I compliment his exhaust (straight piped), tell him I’m putting out about 650hp and he tells me outside of the exhaust he’s also got a tune (about 650hp, too). I laugh and say, “so same power but you’re A LOT lighter…but let’s see what you’ve got”. We come around a bend (desolate, desert road in CO) and I drop it into 2nd, then hear him drop a gear, too. We both punch it. I shift to 3rd but hold the paddle to get back into auto and let the car do its thing. A few seconds in and I’m absolutely shocked that we’re neck and neck. At this point, my pull is so strong I’m actually starting to creep away from him. Did he botch a shift? Maybe. TCS kicked on in his car? Maybe, but he was also AWD. Regardless, the fact that my F-Type with $3k in mods left an R8 driver asking himself “what the hell just happened” really makes my day. Kudos to Chris and Stuart for putting out another amazing product…wouldn’t have matched this guy without it.

Old 04-25-2023, 01:11 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I can only agree with you. I myself have Stage 3 but as R AWD MY 2017. The cat is clearly more fun than OEM. Also the TCU update provides more steam and fun. I am now at around 650 hp, with Stage 2 I was at 620 hp. What is not yet so clear to me, with which stup the car is fastest. S, D or Race Mode, Automatic or Manual? Could not yet try so much. I feel that the Race Mode does not really bring anything! Also the late shift to 7,000 rpm is not optimal in some gears! I continue to test and will report. Times: 0-330 ft in 4.77 sec. ,1/4 mile in 11.11 sec. (with 1-Foot Rollout) and 100-200 km/h I am now at about 7 sec.
And yes, I love VAP Stage3 and TCU update :-)

Old 04-25-2023, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ftype_rick
I just installed the TCU tune on my VAP Stage 2 ‘17 R and wow! Much faster shifts, more pull after each, and it just keeps going when you rip it! I went out today and ran into an Audi R8 (~2022 but couldn’t tell if he was a “Plus”). We pull up to a light and I compliment his exhaust (straight piped), tell him I’m putting out about 650hp and he tells me outside of the exhaust he’s also got a tune (about 650hp, too). I laugh and say, “so same power but you’re A LOT lighter…but let’s see what you’ve got”. We come around a bend (desolate, desert road in CO) and I drop it into 2nd, then hear him drop a gear, too. We both punch it. I shift to 3rd but hold the paddle to get back into auto and let the car do its thing. A few seconds in and I’m absolutely shocked that we’re neck and neck. At this essay point, my pull is so strong I’m actually starting to creep away from him. Did he botch a shift? Maybe. TCS kicked on in his car? Maybe, but he was also AWD. Regardless, the fact that my F-Type with $3k in mods left an R8 driver asking himself “what the hell just happened” really makes my day. Kudos to Chris and Stuart for putting out another amazing product…wouldn’t have matched this guy without it.
It's hard to say for sure why the R8 driver was struggling to keep up - maybe he missed a shift or had his TCS kick in, but either way, it's clear that your F-Type with the mods was performing impressively.
Big props to Chris and Stuart for creating such a killer product! Keep pushing your car to its limits )

Old 04-25-2023, 02:35 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. The whole team here is pretty passionate about what we do and we love hearing about the results.

Originally Posted by Jennyjzl
It's hard to say for sure why the R8 driver was struggling to keep up
If I had to speculate I would say in a word, Torque. Even with the maximum output Huracan calibration, you're talking 440-something ft/lbs, versus our dual pulley setup making 630. And, with the supercharger assisting I'd expect the delta to be greater than that when you've shifted and dropped a little out of the power band. nearly 200 ft/lbs difference, you're going to notice that in the higher gears especially.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following users liked this post:
ftype_rick (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 07:03 PM
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. If I had to speculate I would say in a word, Torque. ... And, with the supercharger assisting I'd expect the delta to be greater than that when you've shifted and dropped a little out of the power band. nearly 200 ft/lbs difference, you're going to notice that in the higher gears especially.
Concur wholeheartedly! I enjoy my tune every time I drive my F type!

Old 04-25-2023, 10:30 PM
Default What’s Next

Not to change the topic but Chris/Stuart, let me know when those rotors are ready. It seems power is more or less maxed at this point so onto weight savings.

Old 12-25-2023, 04:43 PM
Received 257 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Stuart, considering that we seen many reports of differential failures with a stock tune, especially with V6S LSD differential, what are you doing to ensure that increasing rev limiter (which is also dictates launch rpm) will not make this problem worse? My understanding that more RPM means higher peak moments at the time of engagement. Are you also making first gear engagement slower to compensate?
Haven't heard of any V6S transfer case issues. HAVE heard of V8 e-diff issues.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-06-2024, 12:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColinX1
I ordered the pulley and tune along with the transmission tune during the Black Friday sale and just got around to installing it now that the warranty is up on my 2016 R. I did the pulley and tune last week, and to be honest I wasn't totally blown away like I was expecting. I think I may have just overhyped myself due to how dramatic of a difference some people have described here. I don't doubt the numbers VAP is quoting though. I installed the transmission tune last night and took it for a test drive and the two of them together definitely made a difference though. It really pulls hard, and after you get on it, if you let off it's ready to slam you back in your seat right away when you put it on the floor.

It still does have the lag downshifting when you first floor it after cruising steady for a while, which has always annoyed me. Sometimes it takes over a second to do anything, and when I asked the dealer about it they said that's just how it is. Once the transmission is aware you're ready to have fun it seems to be pretty good about dropping a gear quickly though. My solution for that is to pull the shifter over into sport mode before I floor it so it's ready. That said, sport mode or not the VAP transmission tune feels really good when it's going through the gears. I definitely saw it hitting 7K before shifting too, which was cool.

Anyway, I don't have any numbers to post (I did order a Dragy today), but I figured I'd post for anyone on the fence, as a satisfied customer.
Hello
Happy New Year!
How long have you had the Pulley and Tune on your car? How many miles? Where are you seeing the biggest positive benefit? How much has your gas mileage decrease? Any issues at all?
I have an XJ with a Flash Tune. It made a fantastic benefit from stock to the ECU Flash Tune. I'm curious where the pulley adds the benefits.
Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to your thoughts.
Have a wonderful day!
-XJ

Old 01-06-2024, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
What does "shows up fine for them" mean?
Am assuming they can "see" the changed code, etc. ?

TIA - am interested in this thread....
Hello there : )
Happy New Year!
I noticed that you have a VAP Stage 4.
How long have you have the Crank Pulley on the car for. how much time, how many miles? Any issues? Where did you see the biggest value-add? How much has your gas mileage suffer?
Thank you for your time. I look forward to your thoughts.
-XJ

Old 01-06-2024, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
You can run the ECU Tune alone, or the TCU Tune, but you CANNOT run the Lower Pulley alone without an ECU tune, so that is not an option. Likely best bang for the buck is ECU tune alone, if you are looking at minimalist solution. I would think the TCU tune would be least likely to push the car to engineering limits ….Just an opinion. Depends a lot on your goals. Safest bet is to do nothing...then it is a continuum of performance and risk trade-offs.

I have them all, and I am happy with the setup. I do not spend time worrying about warranty or repair costs...I just mod and enjoy the cars. If something breaks, I can always throw enough money/time/effort to fix it.

DC
@Therock88
Happy New Year!
I noticed that you have a VAP Stage 2.
How long have you have the Crank Pulley on the car for, how much time, how many miles? Any issues? Where did you see the biggest value-add? How much has your gas mileage suffer?
-XJ

Old 01-06-2024, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by EdG
Posting to this tread but there might be a better one. I have a 2016 V6S with TCU tune along with crank pulley and ECU tune after the TCU tune (burble/pop checked). No issues in Dynamic mode, sport setting with paddle shifts, very fast and crisp with occasional burbles on up shifts, down shifts also fast (near perfect).

My issue is when in Dynamic mode, S setting allowing the car to shift itself, burbles more dramatic but seems like too much after the first gear or two. The shifts and burbles seem to take too long. Particularly around 75 MPH can be slow, too many burbles. Passing a truck earlier this week, the shift around 75 had several seconds of burbles, enough that I needed to let off the gas because it wouldn't shift. It makes me reluctant to push the car in this setting. I assume that the I can get a different tune. Just curious if my experience is unique. Not sure if I would need a new TCU or just a modified ECU tune.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
@EdG
Happy New Year!
I noticed that you have a VAP Stage 2.
How long have you have the Crank Pulley on the car for. how much time, how many miles? Any issues? Where did you see the biggest value-add? How much has your gas mileage suffer?
-XJ

Old 01-06-2024, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Hi,

Pully installed in 2020. About 7,500 miles on it with many other mods/upgrades. No issues at all. Tune and pulley are by far biggest impact of anything you can do for performance/speed.

I honestly do not check the gas mileage. Did not buy a SC V-8 and add all the mods and Water/Methanol etc. for gas mileage It seems to get much better mileage than my Ford Raptor that holds 36 gallons!...Plus I do not drive it much.
It does not appear to have had much if any effect that I can tell though (again, I do not monitor the gas mileage).

Quick Reply: VelocityAP ZF8HP70 Transmission Tuning (TCU)