F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP ZF8HP70 Transmission Tuning (TCU)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Got my MPV12 Device and instructions today! Captured the Info from my car and created the tuner file and uploaded it to VAP as instructed. Hopefully (as outlined in the instructions) I will have my tuned file back in 1-2 business days!

The process is pretty straight forward so far:
  1. Download HPTuner editor software from their site
  2. Connect MPV12 to your Laptop and allow drivers to update
  3. Connect OBDII end to the car and turn the ignition to ON (Make sure you have a charger connected - if battery drops between 11.5 Volts, your ECU becomes a handy brick)
  4. Select the "Gather Information" button
  5. Verify info is correct
  6. VERY IMPORTANT - Only select to read the TCU, not the ECU also. If you do, it will use up your credits reading/writing to the ECU and you will have to buy more
  7. Click the READ button and let it finish ( ~ 2 minutes)
  8. When the "SAVE FILE" dialogue window appears, save the file with your complete VIN + First and Last Name
  9. Log back on to the Velocity AP website, go to the Upload ECU section, fill out the form completely, and upload your file.
  10. Wait 1-2 Days for updated/tuned file.
  11. When the file arrives you repeat the steps above, only you "WRITE" the file (you received) rather than "READING" the file from the cars TCU
No idea what the weather will be like, or when I will get to test it out!

After recently installing Stage II Tune, Lower/Crank Pulley, Mina Gallery Upper Intake, Yellow Wolf Lower Intake, Water-Methanol Injection, and VAP 200 Cell Cats/Downpipes I am not sure why my 0-60 times are not improved? Probably not launching properly or I am wondering if perhaps the colder weather is making traction difficult? The car runs great...Just keep getting about the same 3.5 seconds 0-60. I got an 11.6 sec 1/4 mile yesterday as well in ~40 degrees. I did also just put All-Season Ultra High-Performance tires on it as I HATED the P Zeros...So maybe they do not grip as well. I will get it figured out at some point I know it is faster than that...

DC

The following 5 users liked this post by Therock88:
ferrral (11-29-2020), FLRRS (12-03-2020), jcb-memphis (05-21-2022), Panthro (06-19-2024), Ryu (05-13-2022)
Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Got my MPV12 Device and instructions today! Captured the Info from my car and created the tuner file and uploaded it to VAP as instructed. Hopefully (as outlined in the instructions) I will have my tuned file back in 1-2 business days!

3. Connect OBDII end to the car and turn the ignition to ON (Make sure you have a charger connected - if battery drops between 11.5 Volts, your ECU becomes a handy brick)
  6. VERY IMPORTANT - Only select to read the TCU, not the ECU also. If you do, it will use up your credits reading/writing to the ECU and you will have to buy more
  8. When the "SAVE FILE" dialogue window appears, save the file with your complete VIN + First and Last Name
  9. Log back on to the Velocity AP website, go to the Upload ECU section, fill out the form completely, and upload your file.
  11. When the file arrives you repeat the steps above, only you "WRITE" the file (you received) rather than "READING" the file from the cars TCU

After recently installing Stage II Tune, Lower/Crank Pulley, Mina Gallery Upper Intake, Yellow Wolf Lower Intake, Water-Methanol Injection, and VAP 200 Cell Cats/Downpipes I am not sure why my 0-60 times are not improved? Probably not launching properly or I am wondering if perhaps the colder weather is making traction difficult? The car runs great...Just keep getting about the same 3.5 seconds 0-60. I got an 11.6 sec 1/4 mile yesterday as well in ~40 degrees. I did also just put All-Season Ultra High-Performance tires on it as I HATED the P Zeros...So maybe they do not grip as well. I will get it figured out at some point I know it is faster than that...

DC
Tyres!
Stick something grippy on and you will slice tenths off your 0-60.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Sponsor
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

DC
Just a note - the ECU Tuning file needs to be updated when the TCU is being tuned, or it will not allow the 200RPM increase.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 11-29-2020, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Just a note - the ECU Tuning file needs to be updated when the TCU is being tuned, or it will not allow the 200RPM increase.
OK...Thanks. I just uploaded the TCU file earlier today, and also flashed the new ECU to get the O2 Sensor error off. I guess I will need to send Chris another email to get a 3rd ECU update to address the TCU tune that I am receiving.

DC

Old 11-29-2020, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Tyres!
Stick something grippy on and you will slice tenths off your 0-60.
Thanks! I will wait a bit, or maybe find a second set of wheels, as I was just reviewing my "updates/mods" list for this car and realized I have spent ~$14,546.00 USD on mods in 10 months Better pace myself...haha

DC

Old 11-30-2020, 05:58 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

DC
I wouldn't be testing performance mods based on 0-60mph times. As you know the lack of launch control and proper traction on a non-prepped surface will give you variable results. Michlin 4S tires or stickier are required. 60-130 mph or 100km/h-200km/h times are the best way to see where you car is compared with others.
You should be runnning an 11 sec flat quarter mile. Maybe with the trans tune 10.9 with great DA!
Thank you for pushing this car and posting about it! The meth kit is next for me!
Happy Holidays!

Old 11-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by supersportmtl
I wouldn't be testing performance mods based on 0-60mph times. As you know the lack of launch control and proper traction on a non-prepped surface will give you variable results. Michlin 4S tires or stickier are required. 60-130 mph or 100km/h-200km/h times are the best way to see where you car is compared with others.
You should be runnning an 11 sec flat quarter mile. Maybe with the trans tune 10.9 with great DA!
Thank you for pushing this car and posting about it! The meth kit is next for me!
Happy Holidays!
Thanks! And I agree...Just happen to be a 0-60 junkie My 997 TT (with $30K in upgrades) is like a rocket, so always trying to get that same acceleration. The car is definitely running great! My TCU tune and updated ECU tune should be here soon from Velocity AP...Then if the weather holds I may try what you suggested!

Good luck with your Water-Methanol install. Hopefully, the DIY will help. It took a lot of research to figure it out, but now, you just need to follow the instructions It is not that bad at all, and actually quite fun and rewarding when you are done, and see that little spray light come on while you are accelerating!

What a fun and expensive hobby to have...haha.

Take care,
DC

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
ferrral (11-30-2020), FLRRS (12-03-2020), supersportmtl (11-30-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Got my tune file last night and installed it. It shifts great now (though only minimal "testing" so far). I like that it holds the gear and added 200 RPMs (ECU Tune update) on the top!

I feel it was worth it, especially with all of the other mods I have done.

If you are attempting this, a couple of points that may help you, as the instructions can be a bit confusing (maybe I am just too dumb??).

1. When you get your new file...Download to your PC
2. Attach the cable/MPV12 to your car and launch the tuner app. I never see where it says the car has to be in position 1 (on, but not started)...But I got fails until the car was ON. Also reviewed on HPTuner sight, and that is the case.
3. Instructions next say to click "write". I found I needed to go to the "File - Open" menu, and open the file...Then the icon for "Write" highlights and is available.
4. When you choose to "write" the file it tells you that you do not have a license to write this file?? But you do! You have to click the button that says something like Licensing options from that pop-up window...Then choose the bottom radio button about specific XXXX...And it works.
5. The MPV12 does come loaded with exactly 4 credits, which is exactly what you need to flash....At that point, all goes well and it takes ~1 minute to write the calibration. NOTE: While writing all sorts of crazy SH@T happens - Wipers come on, fan, A/C, Radio, like Christine! All normal.
6. When it is done writing, you click on the "Close" button, disconnect your cable, cycle the car Off and On again...And you are all set

The car started right up, with no errors!

DC

The following 3 users liked this post by Therock88:
DJS (12-04-2020), FLRRS (12-04-2020), RichardCranium (12-15-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Got my tune file last night and installed it. It shifts great now (though only minimal "testing" so far). I like that it holds the gear and added 200 RPMs (ECU Tune update) on the top!

I feel it was worth it, especially with all of the other mods I have done.

If you are attempting this, a couple of points that may help you, as the instructions can be a bit confusing (maybe I am just too dumb??).

1. When you get your new file...Download to your PC
2. Attach the cable/MPV12 to your car and launch the tuner app. I never see where it says the car has to be in position 1 (on, but not started)...But I got fails until the car was ON. Also reviewed on HPTuner sight, and that is the case.
3. Instructions next say to click "write". I found I needed to go to the "File - Open" menu, and open the file...Then the icon for "Write" highlights and is available.
4. When you choose to "write" the file it tells you that you do not have a license to write this file?? But you do! You have to click the button that says something like Licensing options from that pop-up window...Then choose the bottom radio button about specific XXXX...And it works.
5. The MPV12 does come loaded with exactly 4 credits, which is exactly what you need to flash....At that point, all goes well and it takes ~1 minute to write the calibration. NOTE: While writing all sorts of crazy SH@T happens - Wipers come on, fan, A/C, Radio, like Christine! All normal.
6. When it is done writing, you click on the "Close" button, disconnect your cable, cycle the car Off and On again...And you are all set

The car started right up, with no errors!

DC
Thanks for the follow up and clarification. Mine should be here next week. This will be helpful.

Looking forward to your thoughts once you get a chance to test it out more thoroughly.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FLRRS
Thanks for the follow up and clarification. Mine should be here next week. This will be helpful.

Looking forward to your thoughts once you get a chance to test it out more thoroughly.
Sure...And will do. Going to try to get it out today as the sun is out and it is all the way up to 46 degrees

DC

Old 12-04-2020, 02:12 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

is it possible to tune/code the paddles to go into N when both are pulled?

The following users liked this post:
Ryu (05-13-2022)
Old 12-04-2020, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
is it possible to tune/code the paddles to go into N when both are pulled?
Unlikely but man would that be a good selling point!

Old 12-05-2020, 04:39 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Do I need a USB port on my laptop for the tune? I have a MacBook Air that has no USB

Old 12-05-2020, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
Do I need a USB port on my laptop for the tune? I have a MacBook Air that has no USB
I don't think any of the VAP tuning tools work with MacOS. At least they didn't several years ago when I bought a tune from them.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yes...The MPV12 Flash tool uses a USB - USB C cable to connect to a PC with Windows. I know Macs have Windows Emulators software, but not sure how you get around the USB issue (I am not a Mac user).

DC

Last edited by Therock88; 12-05-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Yes...The MPV12 Flash tool uses a USD - USB C cable to connect to a PC with Windows. I know Macs have Windows Emulators software, but not sure how you get around the USB issue (I am not a Mac user).

DC
Heaps of USB to Mac adaptors out there for cheap, see here for example:
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-06-2020, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Most of the reliable windows emulators for Macs (Parallels or VMWare Fusion) require you to buy the emulation software plus a copy of Windows. Both will cost at least several hundred bucks. The USB adapters will work but do no good if the flashers won't work with MacOS.

I simply borrowed a Windows laptop to do mine.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FLRRS

I had a chance to get out some Friday and push it hard with some ~launches (or fast acceleration) and I must say it feels much better and faster. Shifts are great, crisp, and smooth (and at the optimal shift points).

It ran great....BUT. I did a few 0-60 sprints, where I simply stopped, let off the brake, and pressed the pedal to the floor (not paddles...just let the car work)... and on about my 3rd one, it seemed to hit the limiter/or not shift? And I got a transmission failure of some sort (going to pull up SDD and see what the actual code was). So no biggie I figured, I LIMPED into a parking lot and turned off the car to restart it and clear limp mode...But no luck....It would not go into Park, and would not start...no matter what I did.

Thankfully, I had my laptop in the car and was using the MPV12 Flash tool to check out the data logging feature (I know I bought the VAP Datalogger...but wanted to see what HPTuner did also ). So I finally used the HPTuner Scan, and ran the DTC reader, and cleared the transmission (TCU) error...And it started right up and drove normally. I will see what is stored via SDD and add that here as well. It felt like, under hard acceleration, all was going fine, then it went into LIMP mode?

When this happened, I was in Dynamic mode, and Sport shift (Lever over to the left) and just accelerating...No paddles.

More to come. Other than that hiccup, it is a great addition and worth the money IMO. The calibration is how the car should have come from the factory.

DC

The following users liked this post:
FLRRS (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
I don't think any of the VAP tuning tools work with MacOS. At least they didn't several years ago when I bought a tune from them.
Yes...The MPV12 Flash tool uses a USB - USB C cable to connect to a PC with Windows. I know Macs have Windows Emulators software, but not sure how you get around the USB issue (I am not a Mac user).

DC
Originally Posted by OzXFR
Heaps of USB to Mac adaptors out there for cheap, see here for example: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+to+ma...ss_ts-a-p_1_15
Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Most of the reliable windows emulators for Macs (Parallels or VMWare Fusion) require you to buy the emulation software plus a copy of Windows. Both will cost at least several hundred bucks. The USB adapters will work but do no good if the flashers won't work with MacOS.

I simply borrowed a Windows laptop to do mine.
thanks for the replies. Glad I asked. Ugh one of the downfalls of being an Apple user. Hmm

Old 12-06-2020, 12:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

thanks for the replies. Glad I asked. Ugh one of the downfalls of being an Apple user. Hmm
It's not much better being a Linux user ...

Quick Reply: VelocityAP ZF8HP70 Transmission Tuning (TCU)