F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VelocityAP ZF8HP70 Transmission Tuning (TCU)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
I had a chance to get out some Friday and push it hard with some ~launches (or fast acceleration) and I must say it feels much better and faster. Shifts are great, crisp, and smooth (and at the optimal shift points).

It ran great....BUT. I did a few 0-60 sprints, where I simply stopped, let off the brake, and pressed the pedal to the floor (not paddles...just let the car work)... and on about my 3rd one, it seemed to hit the limiter/or not shift? And I got a transmission failure of some sort (going to pull up SDD and see what the actual code was). So no biggie I figured, I LIMPED into a parking lot and turned off the car to restart it and clear limp mode...But no luck....It would not go into Park, and would not start...no matter what I did.

Thankfully, I had my laptop in the car and was using the MPV12 Flash tool to check out the data logging feature (I know I bought the VAP Datalogger...but wanted to see what HPTuner did also ). So I finally used the HPTuner Scan, and ran the DTC reader, and cleared the transmission (TCU) error...And it started right up and drove normally. I will see what is stored via SDD and add that here as well. It felt like, under hard acceleration, all was going fine, then it went into LIMP mode?

When this happened, I was in Dynamic mode, and Sport shift (Lever over to the left) and just accelerating...No paddles.

More to come. Other than that hiccup, it is a great addition and worth the money IMO. The calibration is how the car should have come from the factory.

DC
Thanks for the feed back. On my GTR if I get to aggressive with the tune on the trans it’ll cause faults from it trying to conduct an action before the previous one is completed. Same thing, just clear the fault and it’s fine.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Loving the VAP transmission tune so far. I’ll be posting 1/4 mile before and after results soon using Dragy. It is definitely faster with the TCU tune. Better shift points, quicker upshift/downshift, and raised RPM limiter.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Not going to blame this on the TCU tune, as I have no empirical data...But mine is still at the dealership with what I believe is a shredded Transfer Case after I added the TCU tune and did some 0-60 pulls.

And for the record, as soon as the dealer hooks up their software (SDD/IDS/Etc.), they can tell immediately that it has exceeded limits and has shift strategy changes, etc...That I can attest to.

Waiting for the bad news still, as it has been at the dealer all week. I was able to test drive with the level 5 technician who finally heard the grinding sounds and is checking in to it. They have been very gracious so far and trying to help which I appreciate...

Not sure what the refund situation may look like, but going to look into that, and doubtful I will re-install the TCU tune, as the change was marginal relative to the current potential $7,600 Transfer case (+ labor)!

I will update as I have more...

Enjoy your cars.
DC

Old 01-15-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Not going to blame this on the TCU tune, as I have no empirical data...But mine is still at the dealership with what I believe is a shredded Transfer Case after I added the TCU tune and did some 0-60 pulls.

And for the record, as soon as the dealer hooks up their software (SDD/IDS/Etc.), they can tell immediately that it has exceeded limits and has shift strategy changes, etc...That I can attest to.

Waiting for the bad news still, as it has been at the dealer all week. I was able to test drive with the level 5 technician who finally heard the grinding sounds and is checking in to it. They have been very gracious so far and trying to help which I appreciate...

Not sure what the refund situation may look like, but going to look into that, and doubtful I will re-install the TCU tune, as the change was marginal relative to the current potential $7,600 Transfer case (+ labor)!

I will update as I have more...

Enjoy your cars.
DC
So sorry you have to go through this headache. I hope you can get the car fixed soon. You definitely should get a refund from VAP at least.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:13 PM
Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

unfortunately this is the risk we all take once we start modifying our cars. I'm not sure where you are located but if around Atlanta, let me know as I'd help you with the TC swap if you go that route.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:31 PM
Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I noticed that for the data VAP shared regarding the TCU tune and decreased trap times they tested using an RWD R. Since the AWD can leverage much more torque at launch, I wonder if DC found the weak spot in the system. A RWD can take only a fraction at launch before its melting tires.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by sparayno1
So sorry you have to go through this headache. I hope you can get the car fixed soon. You definitely should get a refund from VAP at least.
Originally Posted by Craaaazzy
unfortunately this is the risk we all take once we start modifying our cars. I'm not sure where you are located but if around Atlanta, let me know as I'd help you with the TC swap if you go that route.
Originally Posted by ferrral
I noticed that for the data VAP shared regarding the TCU tune and decreased trap times they tested using an RWD R. Since the AWD can leverage much more torque at launch, I wonder if DC found the weak spot in the system. A RWD can take only a fraction at launch before its melting tires.
Hey, Thanks a bunch for the support guys. Still waiting to see what the Dealer says...And appreciate the offer to help(I currently live in IL..Yeay From New Orleans/Baton Rouge). I just bought another lift for ME for Christmas...so hope to get it set up when it warms a bit...MaxJax 2 post...

You may be on to something with the AWD vs RWD? Sucks, unfortunately...

Will keep you posted.

Take care,
DC

Old 01-15-2021, 10:47 PM

I can confirm that the VAP TCU tune is 2/10ths of a second quicker in the quarter mile. The car is definitely more enjoyable to drive now.

Just be careful when manually shifting, if you try to bounce of the rev limiter at 7.5k rpms, the car shifts back to D mode on its own and makes a huge bang sound. Scary the first time I experienced that, but I guess the engine is just trying to protect itself. Normally you can bounce off the rev limiter all day if you wanted. Not anymore with the TCU tune.

The following 2 users liked this post by sparayno1:
djyankees31 (01-16-2021), RichardCranium (01-16-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 429 Likes on 313 Posts

Isn't going into decline dangerous for the engine ,just curious

Old 01-17-2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by dennis black
Isn't going into decline dangerous for the engine ,just curious
I have been driving it hard every time I am in the car since it is not my daily. It’s held up great. No issues or misfires as of yet. VAP claims the increased rev limit is no harm to the engine or transmission. I did do fresh transmission fluid, new plugs gapped to .025, and regular maintenance. My car is 69k miles.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:15 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Did anyone do a tune on a Type R RWD? If so, Did it dyno with more power/torque?

Old 01-20-2021, 06:18 PM

Unhingd makes a guest appearance in my latest video 😆

Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Thanks for the shout-out.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

At 7.5K RPM on stock engine you are likely floating valves. To safely increase RPMs like this you would have to both blueprint (i.e. balance crankshaft and pistons) and put stiffer valve springs/titanium valves.

Last edited by SinF; 01-20-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Unhingd makes a guest appearance in my latest video 😆
I hate to say it but I don't think that calculator you used in the video is correct. Your terminal speed of 109.74mph seems lower than I would expect for a car with 483hp at the crank.

My old 4.2 XKR was heavier than your F Type (curb of 3671lb v 3514lb) and in stock form with 420hp had an almost identical best terminal speed of 109.89mph so it stands to reason that your car must have less than 420hp as it is lighter.

My current 5 litre XKR in standard form achieved 115.73mph but after tuning, supercharger pulley and exhaust mods has done a best of 126.04mph.

I did calculations with your calculator based on a weight of 4215lb for my car (curb is 3865lb) and 126.04mph and that reckons my car has 790hp which is silly.

I normally use this calculator which looks the same as yours but produces quite different results. It makes my car 650hp which is far more likely.

ET-MPH-HP Calculator

If I put your numbers in to it I get 397hp which ties in with what I said earlier about my 4.2 XKR.

As mentioned, the best I got in stock form with my 5 litre was 115.73mph which with a weight of 4215lb gives 503hp which is close to manufacturer specs so the numbers it spits out seem about right.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
I hate to say it but I don't think that calculator you used in the video is correct. Your terminal speed of 109.74mph seems lower than I would expect for a car with 483hp at the crank.

My old 4.2 XKR was heavier than your F Type (curb of 3671lb v 3514lb) and in stock form with 420hp had an almost identical best terminal speed of 109.89mph so it stands to reason that your car must have less than 420hp as it is lighter.

My current 5 litre XKR in standard form achieved 115.73mph but after tuning, supercharger pulley and exhaust mods has done a best of 126.04mph.

I did calculations with your calculator based on a weight of 4215lb for my car (curb is 3865lb) and 126.04mph and that reckons my car has 790hp which is silly.

I normally use this calculator which looks the same as yours but produces quite different results. It makes my car 650hp which is far more likely.

ET-MPH-HP Calculator

If I put your numbers in to it I get 397hp which ties in with what I said earlier about my 4.2 XKR.

As mentioned, the best I got in stock form with my 5 litre was 115.73mph which with a weight of 4215lb gives 503hp which is close to manufacturer specs so the numbers it spits out seem about right.
Thanks for sharing your results. I understand the numbers put out are just estimates and they can vary wildly. Still, 400 wheel horsepower is quite impressive for the V6. My main purpose in my 1/4 mile video was to compare the times between stock transmission tune and VAP transmission tune. I’ll also take the car in for some dyno testing to get true numbers soon.

Last edited by sparayno1; 01-21-2021 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
u102768 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Still, 400 wheel horsepower is quite impressive for the V6.
It is indeed but VAP claim 450bhp for the pulley and tune so with the other changes you have made I would expect you to be near the 480 you quoted so I wonder if you need to get the tune adjusted to take in to account your other mods. Your ET should be over 115mph then and sub 12 secs standing quarter.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by u102768
It is indeed but VAP claim 450bhp for the pulley and tune so with the other changes you have made I would expect you to be near the 480 you quoted so I wonder if you need to get the tune adjusted to take in to account your other mods. Your ET should be over 115mph then and sub 12 secs standing quarter.
I am pretty sure VAP means 450 horsepower to the crank, not the wheel. BHP and WHP are quite different.

Here is what VAP themselves got on their 1/4 mile run with pulley, tune, downpipes and intake. They did not have the VAP transmission tune like I did so my time is slightly quicker. rank, not the

BHP and WHP are quite different

VAP testing their V6 S F Type with crank pulley, stage 2 tune, 200 cell downpipes, and intake.

. Here is what VAP themselves got on their 1/4 mile run with pulley, tune, and intake. They did not have the VAP transmission tune.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure VAP means 450 horsepower to the crank, not the wheel. BHP and WHP are quite different.
I know and that is what manufacturers also quote.

Here is what VAP themselves got on their 1/4 mile run with pulley, tune, downpipes and intake. They did not have the VAP transmission tune like I did so my time is slightly quicker.
This German magazine tested their standard V6 S and got similar figures so those look pretty close to stock:

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...anuary-update/

And the ET calculator says this:

Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3900 pounds and HP of 385 is 12.60 seconds and MPH of 107.23 MPH

If it was truly putting out 450hp it should supposedly be more like this:

Your
ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3900 pounds and HP of 450 is 11.96 seconds and MPH of 112.95 MPH

I shall shut up now though as this thread is about the VAP TCU tuning

Old 01-25-2021, 02:19 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Here is what VAP themselves got on their 1/4 mile run with pulley, tune, downpipes and intake. They did not have the VAP transmission tune like I did so my time is slightly quicker. rank, not the

https://youtu.be/e784mZ-nWC4BHP and WHP are quite different

VAP testing their V6 S F Type with crank pulley, stage 2 tune, 200 cell downpipes, and intake.

. Here is what VAP themselves got on their 1/4 mile run with pulley, tune, and intake. They did not have the VAP transmission tune.
That test car was a RWD F-Type S with auto trans in Mexico, 20C and 5000DA
The best mod dragy run, for that day = 12.70@110.2mph, with more wheel slippage we averaged 107-108mph. The video was near end of our tests and sc was getting hot, wouldn't be surprised if we had large amounts of spark correction.
The best stock dragy run = 13.21@106.71mph, with more wheel slippage we averaged 103-104mph.

At that time we did not have adequate datalogging, therefore we don't have any data recorded for IAT after intercoolers + spark correction per cyl.
Both of the runs would generate wheel spin, mainly because DSC/TC was turned off to avoid any type of manipulation/handicap.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following users liked this post:
u102768 (01-25-2021)

Quick Reply: VelocityAP ZF8HP70 Transmission Tuning (TCU)