Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Verify Navigation Update ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Verify Navigation Update ?

So I plunked down my $199 for a thumb drive with the maps update for my 2016MY and read the red ink instruction doc that they emailed me with dire warnings for not following the sequence. After a couple of days driving to get the transfer to 100% (who really leaves their engine idling for three hours!) I got the prompt to restart the navigation and then I left the car locked as prescribed for 30 minutes.

It all looks okay starting back up but is there a version number somewhere in one of the menus that might indicate it worked or should I just take the lack of problems as "we're all good". I can't immediately drive to a road I know isn't on the previous map to see if it now shows up....of course they may still have missed that on the update as they don't publish a change log ;-)

It was much quicker on the XFR - disk comes out, disk goes in....done.

I know I know, I should just have spent the $199 on beer....

Old 05-31-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Yup!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

This should work for you:

The following users liked this post:
stmcknig (06-01-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Well just installed my Map update yesterday. After running around all day it finally finished but not without giving me some moments of terror. The dire warnings on the box I normally ignore as I know it's more for the lawyer pay check benefit program than reality. But...it kinda sinks into your subconscious.

My wife and I loaded the thumb drive as instructed and began the download. All is well while making a couple of stops for breakfast etc. The process is very slow and watching the progress percentage kept reminding me about watched pots...until we were heading on the highway and suddenly the warning comes up on the screen that he download is failing and the disk has been removed....wa wa wa what?? Well I quickly get off the highway and open the compartment and it's still there, still inserted, not loose. What nonsense is this?

I look back to the screen note and there is a cancel button, so I push it..well wouldn't you? Next thing I know the download seem to be continuing. At least I keep seeing three little progressive dots moving on the screen. But it hovers at 40% and doesn't change. Its taunting me I know it. I stop again at a furniture store my wife wanted to go into and shut the car off. I bring the paper instructions with me and I read them again. Well now I start to worry..have I screwed something up..has JLR screwed me..what's also the nonsense in writing that a bad load fries your unit...I'm not paying for that replacement, no f'ing way.

I get back in the car and for the next 20 minutes 40% continues to taunt me and those infernal moving dots. We stop at another store..did I mention that I'm trapped going to furniture stores? Yo yah I did sorry...damn dots. Get back in and restart the car and suddenly see 50%! What magic is this? Ok I'll stick it out despite the still present pit in my stomach. Then it happens again at 65%..."failing to load". Oh crap here we go again. This time I don't stop I just hit cancel on each of the two "your screwed fella" warning screens. Sure enough it keeps on going...dot dot dot, 75-80-85-90............

It hovers at 90 for another 20 minutes then finally after a full day of start and stop driving, freaking furniture stores and acid stomach feeling it hits 100. I'm on the highway and I say to my wife read me the final instructions again as I'm not going to screw this part up. The instruction sign on the screen has a big "ok" button on it just waiting there, begging me to push it. I almost did until my wife starts reading..." when you push the ok button you have 3 minutes for the Nav system to reset then you need to stop the car, shut off the engine and lock it and don't restart it for 15 minutes". What is this, Mission Impossible!? I'm on the freaking highway for goodness sakes.

So what does "the stubborn *** that I am do"? I push the button and get off at the next exit and pull into a wand self serve car wash. Might as well be productive. At exactly 3 minutes I shut off the car, kick my wife out to go sit on the sidelines with a stop watch and lock the car. She hates going with me when I wash the car. I wash it while getting time hacks from "she who must be obeyed" and the minutes click by. 15 minutes! Finally! I spend a few minutes more drying the car off...what could possibly be wrong with that, it's off isn't it? What could go wrong? But again I started to worry so I jumped in and started it. Nav system starts up, all looks normal, my past trips are still there despite warnings I might have to re-enter them. It all seems quite fine.

I take the car out today and use the Nav to find a small airport having an air show. Seems a little faster...a little more precise...nah just my imagination right? It appears to have loaded, it appears to be up to date...but how do I really know? I guess it don't, I likely won't, and I just have to hope the $200 with tax,magic beans I bought, have actually done something positive to the maps and are not going to suddenly start my dash smoking as the system self destructs because I actually agreed to take this mission.

Oh and make no mistake...I love my wife very much and just "adore" furniture shopping! Got that!

Last edited by Mbourne; 08-27-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

I would gladly pay for the update if it magically included apple CarPlay

Old 08-28-2017, 01:47 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Think I'll pass... I got stressed out just reading Mbourne's post! Phew... Great write up though

Mbourne (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 02:27 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Sometimes I feel like we are in 2007 instead of 2017 with the electronics in this car. Crap.. now that I say that, I think my 2006 Infinity GPS *was* better. Thank goodness I only wanted it to be an updated AC Cobra with airbags and ABS. Better than 1962 is good enough. Lol...

Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I got half way through that post without seeing who wrote it and finally dawned on me...eh, I know this guy. Marko's got a real Zen thing going on.

Mbourne (08-29-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I got half way through that post without seeing who wrote it and finally dawned on me...eh, I know this guy. Marko's got a real Zen thing going on.
And more importantly Ive achieved "Total Consciousness".....

Old 08-31-2017, 11:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I believe there's a version or info screen somewhere - should tell you what version of map you have. I'm not quite ready for my 2nd map update, maybe next year.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too went through the angst. I have a 2015 F Type and decided to update to the 2017 Map version. Real all the instructions and it took almost 3 hours to load, leaving my car running. When it finished I hit the ok button, removed the usb stick, and waited. The navigation system restarted immediately, so now I’m confused. Do I wait the 3 minutes for it to restart, which it did almost immediately and shut off the car, or do I wait 3 minutes after it restarted and shut off the car? Well I chose the wait for 3 minutes.

Now, thanks to this forum I check the nav version, and it looks like 2016 and not 2017. So I assume it didn’t update. I’ve called the Nav people but their phones are down. Go figure.

What to do now?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I didn't fancy leaving the car running for three hours so found out that the upgrade took three hours total, not necessarily in one block. So I carried on using the car as normal and after a total elapsed of about three hours everything completed....

Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this update help with the traffic alert. I just took a trip to Long Island and the traffic alert prompt was driving me nuts. If would come up asking if I wanted to seek an alternative route every two minutes. I kept hitting cancel but it kept reoccurring. This was not for the whole trip but it did it quite often. Any way to change this.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by offers1
I too went through the angst. I have a 2015 F Type and decided to update to the 2017 Map version. Real all the instructions and it took almost 3 hours to load, leaving my car running. When it finished I hit the ok button, removed the usb stick, and waited. The navigation system restarted immediately, so now I’m confused. Do I wait the 3 minutes for it to restart, which it did almost immediately and shut off the car, or do I wait 3 minutes after it restarted and shut off the car? Well I chose the wait for 3 minutes.

Now, thanks to this forum I check the nav version, and it looks like 2016 and not 2017. So I assume it didn’t update. I’ve called the Nav people but their phones are down. Go figure.

What to do now?

The actual map version is typically a year behind what it's sold as. So "2017 maps" are dated 2016 when you check the version using the hidden menu.