F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The very attractive looking Jaguar X Type.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021 | 03:40 AM
|
Default The very attractive looking Jaguar X Type.

I saw a F Type today and I though it was a very attractive looking car, and to me it was undoubtably a jaguar. Now I have never been a big fan of modern Jaguars even though my very first car was a Jaguar and so was my second. I fell in love with Jaguars in the 60's and they were always my first choice of a car, not only because of the gorgeous shapes but the luxurious and unique interiors that surpassed so many cars.. I only wish that the F Type had an interior that was not like many other cars today. Now my point is this. Could the average person tell you they were sitting in a modern Jaguar, if they could not see any name or badges inside the car? I have always been drawn to luxury car and by that I mean luxurious cars and not just luxury by price. I am not alone. Many people feel like me but we don't seem to be able to find cars anymore that really suite our needs. All the car makers around the world are just copying one another and so we are just getting more of the same from most car makers. Very few car makers today are prepared to stand alone and produce real unique cars for the individual. Jaguar did this in the days of the William Lyons reign but since then Jaguar under the likes of Tata has just wanted to produce most of car models to compete with the BMW brand name. They openly admit it and it shows when one looks inside the car. It's no all the car makers fault because the modern motorist has become obsessed with performance and speed. I was obsessed with speed and performance in the 60's when I was living in England without speed limits on the motorways. But today the cars go faster and faster and the speed limits are more restricted by the decade, and they keep becoming more restrictive as we buy faster and faster cars. So I do like the the F Type and it is probably the best looking car they make today., however I would be very happy with a two litre four cylinder engine with a more Jaguar comfortable traditional looking interior at least in the style of the 1999 XK8.

Old 08-19-2021 | 04:09 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by back in the seat
... So I do like the the F Type and it is probably the best looking car they make today., however I would be very happy with a two litre four cylinder engine with a more Jaguar comfortable traditional looking interior at least in the style of the 1999 XK8.
So you want Jaguar to stay stuck in the past? If they did that back in the day they wouldn't have produced the E-Type! You have to let a modern car maker be modern, like it always has been, first to dump drum brakes for discs, etc.

Old 08-19-2021 | 07:18 AM
|

Originally Posted by scm
So you want Jaguar to stay stuck in the past? If they did that back in the day they wouldn't have produced the E-Type! You have to let a modern car maker be modern, like it always has been, first to dump drum brakes for discs, etc.
No I don't want to stay in the past and yes I do agree with everything you say because it is logical, and it makes sence and yes that is how the motor industry has evolved.
However, fortunately not everything old is bad or we wouldn't have analog watches with old ancient Roman numerals. All watches would be the modern digital type. Fortunately with watches we have a choice. With the car industry the gap in our choices has narrowed even though there are more car makers than ever before in history. I think most people have recognised how much so many cars look alike today. Take away the badges and many of us would be stuck to recognise a cheap car from a expensive brand. The difference between a luxury car and a common regular car of the same size today is more about the brand name, and the gap in quality between the two has narrowed considerabily so much, that the cheaper Japanese car is likely to be more dependable. Entertaining shows like "Top Gear" which tells us so little about cars, have promoted speed and performance with fun, and have influenced the motorist away from other practical features of the car and created a over engineered vehicle of want more than need. And yes the motor industry has come a long way since the E Type and yes I would rather drive a F Type over an E Type any day, even though the E Type has always been one of my favourite looking cars. However, whilst the car makers have progressed in so many way, they have done little amongst the enormous amount of car makers in the world, to produce a little more more practicality, originality and uniqueness that has always helped the Automobile industry move forward in more way than one.

Old 08-19-2021 | 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

The point being missed here is that the F-type is a sports car. The comparison to the earlier XK or XK8 is not valid because they were designed not as sports cars, but as touring cars...but i can assure you that no one would confuse the F-Type with any of its rivals. I have owned a lot of wood-trimmed Jaguars, and I love that aspect, but given the completely different character of the F-Type, the wood trim is not only not missed, it would seem utterly inappropriate.

Old 08-19-2021 | 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211
...i can assure you that no one would confuse the F-Type with any of its rivals.
Mine is frequently get mistaken for Aston Martin. They probably seen DBS at the club and think this is what I have. Which is fine with me.

Old 08-19-2021 | 12:56 PM
scm
Veteran Member

An Aston is a rich man's Jag.
And the DB7 was designed by Ian Callum ....

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (11-30-2021)
Old 08-19-2021 | 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Heritage isn't always a good thing. If someone says "Mercedes" to me, the first image that comes to my mind is Hitler in his 770K. I'm not sure, but I dont expect that it is in the promotional material when you go to the Benz dealership.

I dont like wood in cars, especially not sports cars. I had it in my XKR and thought it looked out of place (whereas it suited the XF). Lexus has tried putting the analogue clock in their sports cars, I dont really think it works. Oddly enough though, I prefer the analogue dials in the F Type to the digital dash. I think the analogue dials have more texture and feel, whereas the digital is a bit sterile (we have the digital in our XE, I also have a digital dash in the Mustang which confusingly I really like for that car, it is a bit brash and suits it).

But no-one comes to me for fashion advice, I suppose.

scm (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021 | 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Heritage isn't always a good thing. If someone says "Mercedes" to me, the first image that comes to my mind is Hitler in his 770K.
This is strange association.

JacksonvilleJag (08-20-2021)
Old 08-19-2021 | 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
One can only imagine what images he conjures up when he hears the word “Porsche”

Old 08-19-2021 | 06:35 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Everybody's got to have heroes ...

Old 08-20-2021 | 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Everybody's got to have heroes ...
I love starting out the day with a laugh, thank you!

Aston Martin Vantage- Jaguar F-Type takes a look.

Old 08-20-2021 | 05:46 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SVR 575
Aston Martin Vantage - Jaguar F-Type takes a look ...
And shakes its head in pity ...

Old 08-20-2021 | 07:27 AM
|

Originally Posted by sov211
The point being missed here is that the F-type is a sports car. The comparison to the earlier XK or XK8 is not valid because they were designed not as sports cars, but as touring cars...but i can assure you that no one would confuse the F-Type with any of its rivals. I have owned a lot of wood-trimmed Jaguars, and I love that aspect, but given the completely different character of the F-Type, the wood trim is not only not missed, it would seem utterly inappropriate.
You make a good point about the F Type being a sports car as apposed to touring cars. Thanks for that sov211 If the F Type is designed as a sports car and not a touring car then I won't be buying one just because I think it looks nice. My choice of a sports car is a small MX5 Miata as I can really throw that car around without breaking any speed limits. I drive a little VW Caddy Van with four on the floor sometimes and that is fun to throw around the local streets. It's not the car that makes the driver. It's the driver that makes the car work at it's best. I know that I can be a little too fast and have been pulled over by the police, not for speeding but for doing things a little too fast. When they see me and my age they just caution me and leave me alone. I have a 2002 3ltr X Type Auto and I am not really happy with it. I just can't use all the power it has. We don't have any snow or ice where we live, so I might look out for a newer 2.1ltr as it is front wheel drive only and does not have a transfer box or drive shaft to the rear through the petrol tank.

Old 08-20-2021 | 07:38 AM
|

If someone says "Mercedes" to me I think of Taxi's and fine German Engineering which I have never fallen for. At one time they made cars for the few but now they make cars for the masses. Mercedes today are bought by most people for the name and status. They could put that badge on any car and it would sell. The interesting thing is that same badge is on trucks and buses. I always believed that the Germans saw "Mercedes" differently from how other countries, who had to pay large import taxes and were thus classified as a luxury car, even though many of their models really weren't .