F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A very british roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:49 AM
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default A very british roadtrip

Wouldn’t be a true road trip if she didn’t go all british on me and break down 😂

shredded a couple ribs on the accessory drive belt, limped it to a dealer in the Chicago suburbs before it totally let go...hoping I can convince them to jump the line and replace the belt so I can get back on the road — need to be in California by Saturday 🙃

The following users liked this post:
Pax (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem, hope you get it fixed in time for your trip.

Whilst it's no consolation to you, contrary to your breakdown experience I believe the reputation Jaguar and some other British marques had for poor reliability is based more on cars from decades ago than currently.

I am not denying breakdown do occur, and would concede Jaguar could benefit from improving quality control and reliability as could many other marques.

I have 42000 miles on my F type, daily driver in all weather, never had a breakdown or failure to start.

Can't see why an accessory belt should fail, wonder if tensioner is correctly adjusted, or is it self adjusting.

Last time I had an accessory drive belt let go was on my twenty four year old XJS V12 with 130,000 miles on it, with original drive belt!

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul_59:
scm (07-17-2019), sov211 (07-17-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Sorry to hear about your problem, hope you get it fixed in time for your trip.

Whilst it's no consolation to you, contrary to your breakdown experience I believe the reputation Jaguar and some other British marques had for poor reliability is based more on cars from decades ago than currently.

I am not denying breakdown do occur, and would concede Jaguar could benefit from improving quality control and reliability as could many other marques.

I have 42000 miles on my F type, daily driver in all weather, never had a breakdown or failure to start.

Can't see why an accessory belt should fail, wonder if tensioner is correctly adjusted, or is it self adjusting.

Last time I had an accessory drive belt let go was on my twenty four year old XJS V12 with 130,000 miles on it, with original drive belt!
you say that....but I broke down again 2500 miles later lol and this time it seems like new engine territory...

Cruising back from SF to LA — been moving pretty quick and it’s pretty hot out — 20 miles from home got a nasty exhaust leak followed 30 seconds later by a flashing CEL — immediately pulled over to a serious smoke screen (black) — smelled pretty bad of fuel

Won’t restart (pretty significant fuel smell)

Codes for misfires, both o2 sensors, and a couple jag specific codes my little code reader I leave in the car can’t read

A very british roadtrip-n0fyqle.jpg

Old 08-04-2019, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. Are you still under warranty with roadside assistance?

Old 08-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Sounds really bad.. ... hope you get her back on the road soon..

Old 08-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Seems very unlucky. How many miles total are on the car?

Old 08-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Sorry to hear about this. Are you still under warranty with roadside assistance?
warranty expired very recently unfortunately

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Sounds really bad.. ... hope you get her back on the road soon..
whatever happens she'll be back on the road ASAP -- timing is actually decent as I'm leaving on a four week trip for work so hopefully I'll be coming back to her patched and mended

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Seems very unlucky. How many miles total are on the car?
52,574 -- with 7,000 of them being added in the last month [took it on a grand tour of the states]

Don't yet have a code read out from jag, but here's what my little baby scanner was able to pull when I was on the side of the road
- U0447: invalid data received from gateway a
- U0405: invalid data received from cruise control module
- P026A: definition not found
- P2237: O2 sensor positive current control circuit open bank 1 sensor 1
- P0301: cylinder 1 misfire detected
- P1315: persistent misfire
- P2240: o2 sensor positive current control circuit open bank 2 sensor 1
- U0402: invalid data received from TCM
- P026A: charge air cooler efficiency below threshold

quick analysis from my tech buddy: Don’t worry about the ‘U’ codes those are from low voltage. Same with the air charge cooler, that one just pops up from time to time. The 02 sensor codes are most likely from it dumping fuel. The only ones that really have any merit are the misfire codes. But the jag dealer can far more specific codes than the handheld. If you can have them send you the code print out and send it over to me and I can look into it

Old 08-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by addict
warranty expired very recently unfortunately

Really sorry to hear about your problem, entirely understand you having reservation about reliability given your experiences.

If warranty expired very recently it may be worth contacting Jaguar customer care to see if they would be willing to consider in these exceptional circumstances authorisation of a discretionary warranty repair.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Really sorry to hear about your problem, entirely understand you having reservation about reliability given your experiences.

If warranty expired very recently it may be worth contacting Jaguar customer care to see if they would be willing to consider in these exceptional circumstances authorisation of a discretionary warranty repair.
I appreciate the sentiment -- its only a car and can always be fixed

we are waiting for a final prognosis and then the dealer is going to reach out on my behalf given how close to warranty expiration we are [under a month ago]

hopefully should know more within the next two days