F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Very disappointed

Test drove two cars yesterday: Mercedes C63 AMG and Jaguar F-Type Coupe V6S.

The merc was really awesome you could feel the torque, great engine sound and acceleration.

The F-Type however was a great disappointment (apart from the looks department). I put it in dynamic mode and floored it, but it felt no quicker or responsive than my Audi TT (2.0 turbo). The sound from the engine was also very smooth, I was expecting more of a growl.

Unfortunately they only had the V6S as a demo car so I couldn't try the V8. Unless it is a very different animal I'm probably going to look for another alternative. Also the price tag here in Mexico for a Type R with options is like $165,000 USD, very pricey, so it has to be exceptional for that kind of money. I just don't see it...

Just wanted to share this sad experience.

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Don't like, don't buy.

Next.

alexg (08-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same experience but I have not written off the Jag yet cause I have not driven the V8. Also the Merc you mentioned has a big V8 with a lot more grunt that the Jag with a V6 supercharged or not. So you gotta give the Jag a break. Now there is no way you would be disappointed with the V8 that I am sure of.

alexg (08-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

If you're looking for straight line acceleration then this is a predictable outcome. The power curve for the F type is very linear so you can just compare the 0-60 and quarter mile times for the TT and the C63. For straight line acceleration the only f type choice is the V8. Also, if this is what you care about why aren't you looking at the corvette?

That said, the F-type, even in the V6 variants, will handle way better than either of them at speed. It isn't even close.
That is why it is typically comped against the 911 or Cayman. The TT and C63 are just not in the same class.

Last edited by schraderade; 07-16-2014 at 12:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
alexg (08-02-2014), PD2911 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The Mercedes has a 6.2 liter V8, and you are comparing a supercharged 3L V6 to it.

Not really sure what you were expecting, how, or why.

alexg (08-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
The Mercedes has a 6.2 liter V8, and you are comparing a supercharged 3L V6 to it.

Not really sure what you were expecting, how, or why.
He eats billy goats and lives under a bridge?

The following 3 users liked this post by F-typical:
alexg (08-02-2014), omgomg (07-16-2014), PD2911 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
LOL...to each his own but when I test drove,I found the V6 a very solid and capable performer...and that was just the base car.

alexg (08-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by sn4p
Test drove two cars yesterday: Mercedes C63 AMG and Jaguar F-Type Coupe V6S.

The merc was really awesome you could feel the torque, great engine sound and acceleration.

The F-Type however was a great disappointment (apart from the looks department). I put it in dynamic mode and floored it, but it felt no quicker or responsive than my Audi TT (2.0 turbo). The sound from the engine was also very smooth, I was expecting more of a growl.

Unfortunately they only had the V6S as a demo car so I couldn't try the V8. Unless it is a very different animal I'm probably going to look for another alternative. Also the price tag here in Mexico for a Type R with options is like $165,000 USD, very pricey, so it has to be exceptional for that kind of money. I just don't see it...

Just wanted to share this sad experience.
I've driven the big Merc and you cannot compare it to a V6 with a lot less horsepower.
My Ftype R (which I ended up buying) is a much better driving car than the Merc, in my opinion. The sound out of the R or even the V6 is awesome if you set the exhaust bypass switch.
Lawrence

alexg (08-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I had the same experience but I have not written off the Jag yet cause I have not driven the V8. Also the Merc you mentioned has a big V8 with a lot more grunt that the Jag with a V6 supercharged or not. So you gotta give the Jag a break. Now there is no way you would be disappointed with the V8 that I am sure of.
Yeah I told the dealer I wasn't very pleased and he told me he would try to get the V8 for a test ride. The problem is that they only have one V8 and it has 0 miles so it might be a problem.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Yeah very funny at least I can read and if you could you'd probably understand that I wasn't expecting the V6 to stack up to the V8. I made the forum message so someone who has driven both the V6 and V8 could give me some input since I don't have the luxury to drive both myself.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I am so tempted in saying go for the Merc, as I am a huge fan of them especially the AMGs. I own a Jaguar now and if it's a long term purchase, go for the Merc.

But to get back to the F type, make sure you drive the V8 as well, as it's not even comparable to the V6. I have driven them both and the V6 is quick, feels lighter, but the V8 is a monster. It will give you a blurry vision when you put your foot down from a stop, that's how brute it is.

alexg (08-02-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
I am so tempted in saying go for the Merc, as I am a huge fan of them especially the AMGs. I own a Jaguar now and if it's a long term purchase, go for the Merc.

But to get back to the F type, make sure you drive the V8 as well, as it's not even comparable to the V6. I have driven them both and the V6 is quick, feels lighter, but the V8 is a monster. It will give you a blurry vision when you put your foot down from a stop, that's how brute it is.
The Mercedes dealer will literally give me a new 2014 C63 AMG 507 edition for half the price of a new 2015 Jaguar F Type R. Even though the choice should be obvious the Jag is truly a piece of art and if it has the same punch as the merc I wouldn't be surprised if I end up buying it. Don't think they gonna sell too many of those Jags here so I'll try to convince them for a test drive.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive

I agree with you. I also am a huge fan of AMG. I owned a C63 & I can tell you it's a beast. I enjoyed it all the way up until I got rid of it. Still miss it dearly. I've yet to own a Jag. This will be my first. I'm pretty sure I'll love it.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you live in mejico? the ftype has gotta be better than the el camino you're probably driving?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

The Mercedes dealer will literally give me a new 2014 C63 AMG 507 edition for half the price of a new 2015 Jaguar F Type R. Even though the choice should be obvious the Jag is truly a piece of art and if it has the same punch as the merc I wouldn't be surprised if I end up buying it. Don't think they gonna sell too many of those Jags here so I'll try to convince them for a test drive.

Then you might as well take it because here the 507 is circa 80k and a well equipped R is 106k---- the difference being much more than half the R type pricing. These are US MSRP's btw and as others have said, its not apples vs. apples (the comparo you have made). If pricing is a factor then you have your decision and the 507 is an amazing beast with sound to boot. I'd have no issue getting that car.

I have the C63 Black Series which is one step up on the 507 (same engine though) and just got the R Coupe. I have zero complaints about the R coupe compared to BS track monster. Zero. Im only keeping the BS because its rather rare and I can enjoy it on unique outings and weekends. The R is the every day Sexy Warrior.

Last edited by vic55; 07-16-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to experience a V8S.

What you are saying is similar to the McDonalds burger wasn't as good as my filet steak.

That being said, IMO the V6S is a fast, fluid driving machine.

Paul

Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a very different animal. You need to find one and drive it.

"Unfortunately they only had the V6S as a demo car so I couldn't try the V8. Unless it is a very different animal I'm probably going to look for another alternative"

Last edited by WaltB; 07-16-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default V8

I have a V8S and have driven the R and both of the 6s. Of the cars the V8S is actually more of a beast, the coupe is far more refined and actually doesn't feel as fast (it is much quieter). I'm sure it is faster but sound and wind noise do make the convertible feel faster and is far less refined, kind of a handful actually but a ton of fun. But if you are looking for noise and straight line performance the V8 is scary fast, the R hooks up better but the S will scare the neighbors two blocks over it makes impressive sounds.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by vic55
Then you might as well take it because here the 507 is circa 80k and a well equipped R is 106k---- the difference being much more than half the R type pricing. These are US MSRP's btw and as others have said, its not apples vs. apples (the comparo you have made). If pricing is a factor then you have your decision and the 507 is an amazing beast with sound to boot. I'd have no issue getting that car.
It's probably because Mercedes have their prices in pesos and Jaguar in USD and on top of that some high import taxes. My friend bought a Carrera 4S and it ended up costing 168k. You probably get a Turbo S for that price in the US. The more I think of it I'll probably go for the AMG considering how much I'd lose once I decide to sell the Jag. Even though the Jag is hot I can stuff 2 hot chicks in the backseat on the merc, so it kind of makes up for it.

Originally Posted by vic55
I have the C63 Black Series which is one step up on the 507 (same engine though) and just got the R Coupe. I have zero complaints about the R coupe compared to BS track monster. Zero. Im only keeping the BS because its rather rare and I can enjoy it on unique outings and weekends. The R is the every day Sexy Warrior.
Sounds like we have the same taste in cars. Unfortunately they don't sell the BS down here so I have to settle for the 507, but with some carbon fiber add-ons it could get pretty close.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Sn4p,

I don't know if this will help you at all but here is a vid of the XKR-S which has the same 550hp V8 engine as the R coupe running against a C63 AMG w/Performance Pkg (487hp). Keep in mind that the R coupe is probably a car or two quicker than the XKR-S.

enderle (07-17-2014)

Quick Reply: Very disappointed