Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusXFR
Sn4p,

I don't know if this will help you at all but here is a vid of the XKR-S which has the same 550hp V8 engine as the R coupe running against a C63 AMG w/Performance Pkg (487hp). Keep in mind that the R coupe is probably a car or two quicker than the XKR-S.

Mercedes C63 AMG 487 HP vs. Jaguar XKR-S - YouTube

That's a pretty close race and the 507 with 20hp more would be good run with the R Coupe. Both my R coupe with 147 miles and my C63BS dyno'd the same (within 3 hp) on the same dyno but of course different days. I actually like the ZF8 tranny better than the MCT for shift speeds and fluidness (word??). When I drive them back to back the "feel" is very similar. Its a tough call but the Jag is better looking than even my BS IMHO. The 507 doesn't get all the flarings that the BS has and R Coupe also sounds better and that's a huge compliment because the M156 engine in the C AMG's is a brute exhaust wise.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vic55
That's a pretty close race and the 507 with 20hp more would be good run with the R Coupe. Both my R coupe with 147 miles and my C63BS dyno'd the same (within 3 hp) on the same dyno but of course different days. I actually like the ZF8 tranny better than the MCT for shift speeds and fluidness (word??). When I drive them back to back the "feel" is very similar. Its a tough call but the Jag is better looking than even my BS IMHO. The 507 doesn't get all the flarings that the BS has and R Coupe also sounds better and that's a huge compliment because the M156 engine in the C AMG's is a brute exhaust wise.
Yeah, the Benz V8's are insane. I'm sure they are underrated on horsepower as probably all European cars are but I gotta believe that AMG in the vid is every bit of 500 horse or more.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MarcusXFR
I don't know if this will help you at all but here is a vid of the XKR-S which has the same 550hp V8 engine as the R coupe running against a C63 AMG w/Performance Pkg (487hp). Keep in mind that the R coupe is probably a car or two quicker than the XKR-S.
Nice vid Marcus. I ended up buying the AMG today actually, couldn't resist the price. I got the 507 edition with 507 hp so I'd probably smoke that Jag I'll probably buy a used F Type R if one comes up next year, that way I won't take such a hit. Thanks for all the inputs, I'll probably keep popping in here from time to time.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sn4p
Nice vid Marcus. I ended up buying the AMG today actually, couldn't resist the price. I got the 507 edition with 507 hp so I'd probably smoke that Jag I'll probably buy a used F Type R if one comes up next year, that way I won't take such a hit. Thanks for all the inputs, I'll probably keep popping in here from time to time.
Congrats on the purchase. You'll be smoking more than just Jaguars in that 507. Enjoy!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Had no idea you were a member on here. I started browsing around the F10 forums few months back, as i was going to trade my XF in for a 5 series. I remember your posts on there and you have a great taste in cars.

Congrats and you will love it.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Had no idea you were a member on here. I started browsing around the F10 forums few months back, as i was going to trade my XF in for a 5 series. I remember your posts on there and you have a great taste in cars.

Congrats and you will love it.

Thanks, I just joined last week after picking up an Type R Coupe! One week in and the car is producing all smiles.

To the OP of this thread, congrats on the 507; Its the make sense acquisition for you based on the information you shared about pricing in Mexico.

Here is my BS... did you get black?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Welcome aboard Vic and great to hear you are liking the F type.

Don't think i have seen the picture of your Black Series. It looks stunning.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 AM

Thanks, I just joined last week after picking up an Type R Coupe! One week in and the car is producing all smiles.

To the OP of this thread, congrats on the 507; Its the make sense acquisition for you based on the information you shared about pricing in Mexico.

Here is my BS... did you get black?

Holy smokes that is a nice car. Yeah I got it in black with 19" wheels, red calipers, pretty much like yours except some different body trims. They will ship it from another state since they didn't have the color combo I wanted, so I probably have it next week. I'll send some pictures once I have it.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best in Class

I've owned a 2009 M3, a 2012 C63 AMG, a 2014 Nissan GT-R, and just traded that in for the Jaguar F-Type R.

The F-Type R is by far the best car i've ever owned. The exhaust sound alone is worth the price tag. Not to mention the sick acceleration and stunning looks.

I would take it over any of my previous vehicles in a heartbeat. But that's just my option. I've never driven the V6 version, so i can't compare.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

I miss the days when car companies weren't afraid to make raw and raucous sports cars. These days if you want beauty and performance, you're also going to have to be coddled with luxury and convenience features that have no place in a sports car...

Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I miss the days when auto companies weren't afraid to make raw and raucous sports cars. These days if you want beauty and performance, you're also going to have to be coddled with luxury and convenience features that have no place in a sports car...
Buy a Lotus or a corvette :-)
Jaguar is certainly not the brand for you.
Personally I'm glad car companies are wrapping cars in comfort. It's an incredibly competitive market and they are doing a good job listening to the majority of customers rather than the minority of enthusiasts. Something like 9,999 sports car miles are driven on commuter roads for every 1 driven on a track.

The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
PD2911 (07-19-2014), Schwabe (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe buy a Caddy or a Lincoln if your main interest is commuting in a blamange?

Probably more entertaining around Watkins Glen too...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Buy a Lotus or a corvette :-)
Jaguar is certainly not the brand for you.
Personally I'm glad car companies are wrapping cars in comfort. It's an incredibly competitive market and they are doing a good job listening to the majority of customers rather than the minority of enthusiasts. Something like 9,999 sports car miles are driven on commuter roads for every 1 driven on a track.
I said BEAUTY and performance. The Lotuses and Vettes are ugly! Haha!

Actually, I think my next car might be a mid-late 90s Viper GTS. But we'll see what happens...

Last edited by amcdonal86; 07-20-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

I said BEAUTY and performance. The Lotuses and Vettes are ugly!
Haha fair point

F-Typical....I respect your purism on sports cars but that unfortunately doesn't represent the real market for these rides. The vast majority of owners buy sports cars for the same reason folks buy expensive watches: they look cool and people like the idea of performance more than the practice of performance.
The trend nowadays is to create a sports car for the market first (with luxury trimmings) and then -- ironically, sometimes -- offer a stripped down performance version at a higher price. Jaguar Project 7 is a good example.
This allows the manufacturer to actually turn a profit on the core model, and then also hit the high-end enthusiast market in a way with a model that amortizes the R&D costs reasonably.
"Cheap" enthusiasts who want a performance car but don't way to pay high prices are a very vocal community that is of no interest to manufacturers.

I'm a big fan of this approach!

The following users liked this post:
PD2911 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Haha fair point

F-Typical....I respect your purism on sports cars but that unfortunately doesn't represent the real market for these rides. The vast majority of owners buy sports cars for the same reason folks buy expensive watches: they look cool and people like the idea of performance more than the practice of performance.
The trend nowadays is to create a sports car for the market first (with luxury trimmings) and then -- ironically, sometimes -- offer a stripped down performance version at a higher price. Jaguar Project 7 is a good example.
This allows the manufacturer to actually turn a profit on the core model, and then also hit the high-end enthusiast market in a way with a model that amortizes the R&D costs reasonably.
"Cheap" enthusiasts who want a performance car but don't way to pay high prices are a very vocal community that is of no interest to manufacturers.

I'm a big fan of this approach!
I'm with you on this. This is exactly why I had to get rid of my GT-R. I only had it for 3 months before I was looking to get out of it. It is 100% performance with none of the looks (design based on best aerodynamics) and absolutely NO luxury. I took a 13K bath to get rid of it, unfortunately. The bluetooth would cut out, the inside looked like a Nissan Altima, and it just felt really cheap inside. When I drove it, it didn't feel "good" to me, just REALLY fast. But I wanted more of a balance. For a car that costs over 100K, you should at least get standard leather seats.

The following users liked this post:
schraderade (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I miss the days when car companies weren't afraid to make raw and raucous sports cars. These days if you want beauty and performance, you're also going to have to be coddled with luxury and convenience features that have no place in a sports car...
Respectfully disagree. There are track and race cars, then there are sports cars. Track/race cars: no A/C, no cup holders, no parking aid sensors, no keyless entry. Styling be damn. You sacrifice everything for best performance. Sports cars are just that, for sport, for fun. Sports cars have always been comprised. Do you really want a sports car without A/C? Of course there are varying degrees of compromise. And that's why manufacturers offer different trim levels. Base, S, R, RS, GT3, etc. And of course you can always remove things. It's much easier to remove unwanted things to make it more "raw" then to add things back in.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Viper

You want something raw get a Viper stripped. Fun car but I can't drive it any real distance. You can get a base Miata or FRZ too and they are pretty basic. You want a raw Jaguar order the Project 7, Porsche and Ferrari both should still have race prepped cars as well. They are out there but you have to want to get rid of the creature comforts.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by dcmetro
I'm with you on this. This is exactly why I had to get rid of my GT-R. I only had it for 3 months before I was looking to get out of it. It is 100% performance with none of the looks (design based on best aerodynamics) and absolutely NO luxury. I took a 13K bath to get rid of it, unfortunately. The bluetooth would cut out, the inside looked like a Nissan Altima, and it just felt really cheap inside. When I drove it, it didn't feel "good" to me, just REALLY fast. But I wanted more of a balance. For a car that costs over 100K, you should at least get standard leather seats.

When the GTR came out I loved it, quick, back seat you could use and that cool digital instrument cluster but now years later it just feels old. The display is small, the inside is, well a Nissan, and while it will kick my V8S's butt I no longer enjoy driving it. We had a guy take one sideways off Skyline about a year ago, hit some dirt or water at speed on a curve showing off for his girlfriend. Sad story about this is another guy in a new Mercedes stopped to help and his hot brakes caught the grass on fire, both cars were totaled.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 PM

Here is my new baby, I can't be happier. Last week my Jaguar dealer let me test ride the F Type R (obviously I didn't tell him I already bought a merc). I gotta say it's in a different league from the V6. I'm still glad I went for the merc, it has nicer interior, better sound, 4 seats and an infotainment system from this century Both cars are kickass though.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Here is my new baby, I can't be happier. Last week my Jaguar dealer let me test ride the F Type R (obviously I didn't tell him I already bought a merc). I gotta say it's in a different league from the V6. I'm still glad I went for the merc, it has nicer interior, better sound, 4 seats and an infotainment system from this century Both cars are kickass though.
Also, as you put it, room for 2 chicks in the back!

Enjoy the new ride.