F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Vette or not to Vette

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default To Vette or not to Vette

So...I have a 2017 SVR, and I love it. It’s my 3rd Jag, and my second F-Type. The car has everything: power, style, exclusivity, and cache.

...then came the 2020 Corvette C8. I just love it...the only thing holding me back is the fact that you know the Z06 is around the corner....

I love the SVR and it has a fantastic powertrain, but the tech is just so bad that it has me looking at the Vette. Am I crazy?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

No, I think it is only fair that we can stray from our cars. Certainly it is a lot cheaper than straying from our wives. Also you've gone from an R to a SVR. While you got a performance and interior bump up, it is like divorcing your wife and marrying her younger, fitter sister. While I havent done that with my wife, I did do it with my XF's, and in the end I only kept the second one 12 months because something else caught my eye.

All of that said, I recently had an extreme obsession to go from my car to a SVR which I was a bee's dick away from doing. But when it got down to it, I actually was only after different noise, everything else I preferred in my current car. It was a moment of clarity that I have rarely had as I tend to get caught up and just act on it. Now I am very happy with my current car, I will only change for something identical but with a v8 in it.

By the way, I just took delivery of the new XE for my missus, the incontrol touch duo system in it is really good, and the surround sound is great as well. Too bad you cant pay $15K to put it into the F Type.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR

I love the SVR and it has a fantastic powertrain, but the tech is just so bad that it has me looking at the Vette. Am I crazy?
What is wrong with the tech? I personally would rather have your car anytime.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 AM

The 2017 system is awful. It’s essentially the 2011 system with a new home screen. But, believe it or not, It’s even slower and more laggy. There is no Apple CarPlay and the InControl Apps system had so much potential but is half baked. They had JustDrive which was great but they discontinued it.

Also, the rear camera quality is abysmal and the Dynamic settings don’t give you enough configuration freedom.

Tech wise, it’s almost 2 generations behind.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

If tech is that important to you in a car, then you will likely never be truly happy with the SVR.

That being said, with the suggest price of the base C8, they are going to be 'everywhere'. Personally, I enjoy having something more unique on the road. Have you though about looking into a used McLaren 570s or a used current gen Aston Martin Vantage? Those likely have more updated tech than the SVR, and would still keep you more unique on the road.

The C8 is going to be a great car, but you have to wonder how many corners were cut to keep the price down. We already know that weight is one area where they just had to let things go... When the car actually gets into the hands of non-GM people, I'm sure we'll see more. I've already heard people complaining about the stitching of the interior and other areas. Not to say it's going to be crap, but to make a car with that level of performance for that price, they had to sacrifice in some areas.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:53 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
If tech is that important to you in a car, then you will likely never be truly happy with the SVR.

That being said, with the suggest price of the base C8, they are going to be 'everywhere'. Personally, I enjoy having something more unique on the road. Have you though about looking into a used McLaren 570s or a used current gen Aston Martin Vantage? Those likely have more updated tech than the SVR, and would still keep you more unique on the road.

The C8 is going to be a great car, but you have to wonder how many corners were cut to keep the price down. We already know that weight is one area where they just had to let things go... When the car actually gets into the hands of non-GM people, I'm sure we'll see more. I've already heard people complaining about the stitching of the interior and other areas. Not to say it's going to be crap, but to make a car with that level of performance for that price, they had to sacrifice in some areas.
This. And being that GM is new to the mid-engine dynamic, I would bet the first string of models will exhibit a fair share of glitches and faults that could make you regret jumping into one right away.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by XFactoR
The 2017 system is awful. It’s essentially the 2011 system with a new home screen. But, believe it or not, It’s even slower and more laggy. There is no Apple CarPlay and the InControl Apps system had so much potential but is half baked. They had JustDrive which was great but they discontinued it.

Also, the rear camera quality is abysmal and the Dynamic settings don’t give you enough configuration freedom.

Tech wise, it’s almost 2 generations behind.
Wow, I guess simple minds are easily amused. I typically just drive with the windows down and maybe turn on the radio.

The following 2 users liked this post by rbsj:
Luc Lapierre (08-06-2019), scm (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
This. And being that GM is new to the mid-engine dynamic, I would bet the first string of models will exhibit a fair share of glitches and faults that could make you regret jumping into one right away.
I agree, GM has a long standing reputation of having the car buyer do the Product testing. Worst car I ever owned as far as reliability was a Corvette, Look at the C7 and the problem with the torque converter. Still not found a fix. Buyer beware, especially the first 3 years of any GM Product.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think that anyone who is interested in the C8 Corvette that does not currently have a deposit down on one will have plenty of time to see how the car turns out as the entire 1st year production is already spoken for. I was at the reveal at Kerbeck Corvette in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. They had 6 sales associates taking $1,000 deposits and people were literally handing over a grand in $100 bills as fast as they could.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill W
I think that anyone who is interested in the C8 Corvette that does not currently have a deposit down on one will have plenty of time to see how the car turns out as the entire 1st year production is already spoken for. I was at the reveal at Kerbeck Corvette in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. They had 6 sales associates taking $1,000 deposits and people were literally handing over a grand in $100 bills as fast as they could.
If you can get in and out of a car that low, get it.
i can't , barely fit in my f jag

Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by F355c5
If you can get in and out of a car that low, get it.
You don't so much get in it, as put it on!

The following users liked this post:
Tp10XKR (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also keen on getting a C8 (already have a C6)... but I'm going to let braver souls than me take the hit on bugs, glitches, etc. during the first 1.5 years of production. That said... the sound of the C8 is a tad tamer than the R or SVR -- so if you love the wonderful noise coming out of the Jag... be prepared for a horse of another color with the C8.

As far as tech (interior)... the Jag's interior is head and shoulders better looking than ANY Vette. So if the infotainment sophistication is a big deal... not sure how much better a GM infotainment system will be. GM's interior and tech have always been a step behind (with the exception of the PDR).

IMHO... when I'm driving... I'm driving.. not messing to much with stereo and such... especially with such a great driver's car as the F-type (or a Vette). Visually, what I have to look at for hours on end is more important... and the new C8 interior is not my cup of tea... so that could be a deal breaker no matter how good the performance and exterior styling.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm in the same boat.
My '17 R vert is my Tweener from C5, C7 verts to my next C8 vert. But it'll be 2024 before my R's extended warranty runs out.
Figured the Vette will be half the price of a new R or SVR for about the same performance...

Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Noshame
I agree, GM has a long standing reputation of having the car buyer do the Product testing. Worst car I ever owned as far as reliability was a Corvette, Look at the C7 and the problem with the torque converter. Still not found a fix. Buyer beware, especially the first 3 years of any GM Product.
Sorry for the problems u had.
But have u looked at this millennium's 2019 JD Powers quality ratings, where it shows GM above ave & Jag/RR on the bottom?
Luckily, I had no problems with both my C5 & C7....

Tp10XKR (08-06-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:53 PM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

You should do what ever makes you happy...bottom line. I absolutely love my FT with only one, no two complaints. The leather headliner being short on the drivers side and the paint and the leading edge of the doors and jambs wearing from driving. Both not GM problems. BTW the C5 Vett is probably the most reliable, fuel efficient, trouble free sports car GM has ever made, and now the best bang for your money as the motors can handle 900 hp bolt on with a pro charger or turbo and still reliable to and from the track.

tech wise, in my Dailey driver I prefer great tech and my Chevy provides it with apple play. In my jag I only want to hear the exhaust singing.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

I believe the C8 is great however I am not a convert. I love the flawless looks and sound of the F-type. It would take a C8 ZR1 or Zora with incredible performance, sound, and looks to pry me out of my F-Type.

Within a year or two there will be one on every block and I truly appreciate having a fairly rare and unique car. It will be interesting to see what aftermarket sellers come up with for the C8.

The C8 should sell over 1/2 million over its lifetime. Ferrari only sold 8,000 360 Modenas.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 08-07-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:16 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess I'll have step in about Corvette reliability. I've had four, 2002,2004, 2008, and 2012. Two were tracked. The only issue with any of them was an oil seepage from the crankcase on the 2012, and it was quickly repaired under warranty. BTW, I have had oil leakage from the diff on both my S and R F-Types with the problem on front and rear on the R. Again all were repaired under warranty. Also the weight of the C8 was mentioned, but at 3366 pounds, it's quite a bit lighter than my R.

As far as the C8 is concerned, I like the car, but I want more than the base model. The warranty on my F-Type R expires in June 2022. By then the Z51 and 2LT options and probably the Z06 will be available, and the cars will be available for retail sales. I'll make my decision then.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Maybe the good point of having more/better competition is that Jaguar will up their game for the next generation of the F-type with better performance, technology, quality, & lower pricing....

Old 08-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 694 Posts

Keep the Jag!

Jagged Wire (08-26-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 PM

The idea that you don’t need good and modern tech in a road car that is otherwise exhilarating to drive is trite.These are modern and sophisticated road cars sold at a premium. It’s proper to expect them to have innovative features to improve the total experience for the driver and passenger.

NavyBlue (08-07-2019)

Quick Reply: To Vette or not to Vette