F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thought I'd share the video I took that was shared with the dealership service team.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (03-04-2018)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

same seal on mine has apparently failed, although I haven't noticed any sound while driving, or any water penetration. The only reason I noticed it was that I dry my car with a blower and it makes a noise when drying that crack. 2017 model AWD S built in Feb 2016.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:28 AM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I noticed this exact same issue on my car since it had about 100 miles on it. Has anyone successfully remedied this on their own, either with weather strip adhesive or double-sided tape?

After two weeks and a couple hundred miles, I'm not impressed by this car's overall build quality.

Kief (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
I noticed this exact same issue on my car since it had about 100 miles on it. Has anyone successfully remedied this on their own, either with weather strip adhesive or double-sided tape?

After two weeks and a couple hundred miles, I'm not impressed by this car's overall build quality.
I'm having the same issues. A little under 1.5k miles on mine, and there are all these random noises.

The crazy thing is, it doesn't always make certain noises, they come and go.

One coming from what seems like the front of the car, right under the windshield.

The other ones seem to be coming from door or behind the passenger seat. I can't really tell.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR

Thanks for finding this Thread, as I too am experiencing the rhythmic fluttering noise when driving above 75mph on my right side. I tried searching before but could not find anything here--so thanks again.

And yes, I'm experiencing many more annoyances on my recently acquired '17 compared to my '16 hmm....

Old 08-22-2017, 01:43 PM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kief
Thanks for finding this Thread, as I too am experiencing the rhythmic fluttering noise when driving above 75mph on my right side. I tried searching before but could not find anything here--so thanks again.

And yes, I'm experiencing many more annoyances on my recently acquired '17 compared to my '16 hmm....
I'm quite sure you're experiencing the same issue. I just picked up some 3M weather stripping adhesive and will take care of it this evening. This is something I'd rather tackle than having the dealer try to chase down, potentially causing even more unforeseen issues. In my experience over the last 20 years and countless cars, the less often you take the car to the dealer, the better. You gotta pick your battles.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with the car, but there are a bunch of QC concerns which you shouldn't expect on a $70K car, let alone the $130K hopped-up version.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
I'm quite sure you're experiencing the same issue. I just picked up some 3M weather stripping adhesive and will take care of it this evening. This is something I'd rather tackle than having the dealer try to chase down, potentially causing even more unforeseen issues. In my experience over the last 20 years and countless cars, the less often you take the car to the dealer, the better. You gotta pick your battles.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with the car, but there are a bunch of QC concerns which you shouldn't expect on a $70K car, let alone the $130K hopped-up version.
Couldn't agree more regarding dealer service and QC. I'm also dealing with my exhaust valves, and I refuse to bring it in until I have exhausted all measures on my own and/or obtain additional confirmation about the issue from others.

Keep me posted if your fix works and a DIY tutorial.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Confirmed

This forum is great. We took the R on a long drive this weekend and I noticed the fluttering noise thought the cabin start immediately as the spoiler raised. The spoiler must be forcing some air into the gap between the hatch and the body, causing the weatherstrip to flap around hence making the noise. Applying blue painters tape to the seal completely eliminated the sound.

This weatherstripping has a roughly 3/8" tall adhesive strip to bond it to the body. On my car this strip has lost most of it's 'tack' just like the other images in this thread.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
This forum is great. We took the R on a long drive this weekend and I noticed the fluttering noise thought the cabin start immediately as the spoiler raised. The spoiler must be forcing some air into the gap between the hatch and the body, causing the weatherstrip to flap around hence making the noise. Applying blue painters tape to the seal completely eliminated the sound.

This weatherstripping has a roughly 3/8" tall adhesive strip to bond it to the body. On my car this strip has lost most of it's 'tack' just like the other images in this thread.
some automotive weatherstrip cement will take care of that.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:46 PM

I can turn it over to the dealership (along with the squeaky exhaust valves), but I might be better off just bonding it back myself with the 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Either the dealership will rush through that repair, or they will replace the parts with new ones using the same inadequate adhesive that I have now...

Old 03-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hades281
. Either the dealership will rush through that repair, or they will replace the parts with new ones using the same inadequate adhesive that I have now...
That’s what I’m thinking.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

yep me too Looks like adhesive strip is too far down so moisture an dirt get down the gap and eventually cause adhesive to fail

Old 04-14-2018, 09:26 AM

Update: Had the Houston dealership address this issue whilst in for a few other warranty issues. I think they used some weatherstrip adhesive to bond the parts back to the body, which is probably a more durable repair than replacing them with new parts and relying again on the OEM double-sided tape.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ryan23
I have your answer And your dealer will pull their hair out trying to isolate the flutter. It's the seal on the hatch area pointed out below. You can see how mine is starting to de-laminate as well. We had a 16' F-Type with 1,600 miles on it had a flutter noise above 70mph. I'm guessing there will be a TSB coming out for this shortly. Tell your service manager he owes me diag time, I've got Paypal ready, lol!

Ryan

P.S. Affix some blue painters tape over the seal and take it above 70.....

Ryan, I want to thank you for posting this. I just drove about 2500 miles from Montreal to Corpus Christi and at speed, the car developed the exact noise you described. It drove me crazy. As soon as we arrived, I did a search and found your post.
I did the repair this morning and "voila" the car is back rattle free. You saved me days of searching. Probably more, as the fact that the plastic was unglued was not at all apparent when parked.

Thanks again

Old 12-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone managed to find the part number for this seal? I have the same problem on my 16 Coupe and have looked everywhere on EPC with no luck!

Old 12-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WillWiggs
Has anyone managed to find the part number for this seal? I have the same problem on my 16 Coupe and have looked everywhere on EPC with no luck!
I think what you are looking for is T2R20031:
https://parts.jaguarreno.com/oem-par...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D
EDIT: I looked more closely. That’s not it.

Here it is:T2R8628
https://parts.jaguarreno.com/oem-par...bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

That’s for the left side. T2R8629 is for the right side.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-06-2019 at 08:30 PM.
AnzeG (12-22-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 02:39 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

At least for me, I didn't see a need to replace anything other than the adhesive. I used a 3M double sided tape, and so far, it's like new.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you @Ryan23 this was my issue as well. Ducked taped the seal until my next service comes up and I'll have them change it. Saved me a lot of time man.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
I'm having the same issues. A little under 1.5k miles on mine, and there are all these random noises.

The crazy thing is, it doesn't always make certain noises, they come and go.

One coming from what seems like the front of the car, right under the windshield.

The other ones seem to be coming from door or behind the passenger seat. I can't really tell.

Did you every sort out the issue under the windshield? I'm experiencing the same problem - low pitched wind noise (almost like buffeting - or window down) >60km/h. Dealer replaced seals and windshield still didn't fix the problem.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:38 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Just discovered this brilliant thread while looking for tips on how to best treat the rubber seals in the car. Can't say that I've noticed any fluttering noise at high speed but checked the seals pointed out by Ryan and they are partially loose on both sides.

The car is under warranty so I guess I could get the dealer to fix it but wonder if it's really worth the effort. Having the dealer replace the seals completely with the risk of messing more stuff up seems like a bit of an overkill. The best thing seems to be to just pop in some double sided tape yourself.

Any more views on this? Did anyone else have the dealer fix it or fix it on your own?

Quick Reply: Vibrating noise at speed