Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating noise at speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Just discovered this brilliant thread while looking for tips on how to best treat the rubber seals in the car. Can't say that I've noticed any fluttering noise at high speed but checked the seals pointed out by Ryan and they are partially loose on both sides.

The car is under warranty so I guess I could get the dealer to fix it but wonder if it's really worth the effort. Having the dealer replace the seals completely with the risk of messing more stuff up seems like a bit of an overkill. The best thing seems to be to just pop in some double sided tape yourself.

Any more views on this? Did anyone else have the dealer fix it or fix it on your own?
I never had any noise from those seals but when the topic first came up a few years ago I checked mine and yes they were a little "loose". I simply stuck them down using black RTV silicone windscreen sealant and they have never budged since.
This one: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ealant&start=3
I have used this gear for all sorts of sealing/gluing/sticking on multiple cars and it has never let me down.
Just make sure you clean up any excess with a soft cloth soaked in turps before it sets/cures, you have about 10 minutes which is plenty.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:36 PM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Good shout Kim. Sounds like a good option to double sided tape so will also consider something like that. Anyhow I don't think I'll bother bringing it up with the dealer.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just wanted to chime in about this one since I had the exact same issue a few months ago; I had read through this thread several times, thought "I don't think this is it", tried the blue painter's tape, and still had the problem... turns out the tape had come loose, after instead stripping the entire trunk like a moron thinking it was something else even though I knew the tape came loose, I tried taping down those seals again, but the second time I used 3M double-sided tape with a 15-lb hold and it solved the issue, I used .5in-wide 3M VHB tape for the "permanent" fix, problem solved. In the end it was this thread that gave me the fix so thanks.

(PS: After two trash experiences, my opinion is to never let the dealer touch your car if you can help it.)

Last edited by MrKhacheerio; 12-07-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by MrKhacheerio
I just wanted to chime in about this one since I had the exact same issue a few months ago; I had read through this thread several times, thought "I don't think this is it", tried the blue painter's tape, and still had the problem... turns out the tape had come loose, after instead stripping the entire trunk like a moron thinking it was something else even though I knew the tape came loose, I tried taping down those seals again, but the second time I used 3M double-sided tape with a 15-lb hold and it solved the issue, I used .5in-wide 3M VHB tape for the "permanent" fix, problem solved. In the end it was this thread that gave me the fix so thanks.

(PS: After two trash experiences, my opinion is to never let the dealer touch your car if you can help it.)
Usually the noises are related to the molding. They put a very thin (useless) piece of adhesive strip and it will fail....Not if / when! Using a good double sided tape, or even better, 3M Molding Adhesive will seal them up nicely. If anyone is worried about the dealer screwing more up, they shouldn't (famous last words )…both sides are all part of the single rear panel where the rear WS Solution reservoir is....It pops out and it all comes with. Worst they could do is break the clips and then they have to replace. Good luck.

DC

Pics below for reference....

Old 12-07-2021, 12:35 PM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

I had some good double sided tape in the garage and ended up using that last night. Everything seems nice and tight now.

To be fair my supplying dealer has been ok with fixing other small stuff under warranty without messing up but this felt so simple that I couldn't bother letting the dealer do it.