F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration in shifter handle at 1800-2000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 02:59 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default vibration in shifter handle at 1800-2000 RPM

I am creating a new thread so that this doesn't get lost in the pages of the clutch thread, even though this IS something that is clutch related. I don't know that it is the same issue or not that led to other replacements for many of us...

I was one of the people who had a Gen 1 clutch replaced under warranty in late 2017 or early 2018 when my '16 F-Type was around 1K miles (delivered to me as a never-titled, never in service vehicle during November 2017). It has developed a vibration on decel that was initially most noticeable around 2K RPM but has since expanded to between 1800-2K RPM. The gear I was in does not matter...it was entirely RPM dependent. I took the vehicle in last week since it was nearing 60K miles and thus the warranty is about to expire, and this was one of the things I asked them to look at in addition to getting the final under-warranty, Jaguar-covered oil change.

Service manager, who I trust implicitly, has verified the condition but is not finding any current bulletins. He also was quick to remind his staff that this was not my first Jaguar with a manual tranny and that I know my way around vehicles (this was my third Jag with a manual and fourth overall). In other words, I have one of the good ones that realizes that I don't just make crap up...

From earlier discussions on these boards, my guess would be flywheel, and I don't know if it got resurfaced or not when the previous work was done.

Has anyone else with an F-Type manual had similar symptoms and, if so, what has the response and/or diagnosis been from your service writers? And if they were able to find any sort of bulletins, did they give you the reference number?

Thnx

Old 02-26-2021, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Mine did that too. When it came apart, the technician noted that there was at least one small piece floating in there. I'm not sure if it was clutch or dual-mass flywheel though, but suspect the latter. Sorry I can't be of more help. Since mine was replaced under warranty, I didn't inspect the old parts with the care I would have had it been my own money.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Mine did that too. When it came apart, the technician noted that there was at least one small piece floating in there. I'm not sure if it was clutch or dual-mass flywheel though, but suspect the latter. Sorry I can't be of more help. Since mine was replaced under warranty, I didn't inspect the old parts with the care I would have had it been my own money.
Thnx. My original clutch was replaced under warranty but I don't know which generation it got...unfortunately, the system was not working the day I picked it up and never got the complete printout with part numbers. I suspect that is one of the things my service guy is looking for...

That work was done around the 1000-1200 mile mark. And of course, now I am just shy of 60K, so there is ALSO the issue of 'wear item' pushback from above the dealership. At least I have a service manager who tries to make sure Jaguar keeps a customer happy for the warranty duration...of course, he also got pissed at the change in dealership ownership that has kept him from being able to put me in a loaner when the X-Type and XK8 have had to be in for more than a simple oil change that they do while I wait.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I have not heard of an issue where the dual-mass flywheel has come apart. The vibration is usually the result of a chunk of friction material coming loose from the friction disk, causing an imbalance. Fortunately, that puked piece did not get lodged between any of the mated friction surfaces, otherwise you could not get the car into gear while the engine is running without some skilled rev matching.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have slight vibration in this rpm range, with both transmissions. I assume it is because crank isn't factory-balanced on AJ engines.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I have slight vibration in this rpm range, with both transmissions. I assume it is because crank isn't factory-balanced on AJ engines.
More likely, a balance issue with the driveshaft. Was that replaced when you had the diff replaced. Sudden diff or tranny failure can knock the tailshaft out out of balance.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have not heard of an issue where the dual-mass flywheel has come apart. The vibration is usually the result of a chunk of friction material coming loose from the friction disk, causing an imbalance. Fortunately, that puked piece did not get lodged between any of the mated friction surfaces, otherwise you could not get the car into gear while the engine is running without some skilled rev matching.
I wish I'd paid more attention to the pieces that came out when mine was replaced, but there was a piece floating around. It was not friction material. My recollection is that it was a small spring.

It had indeed stuck on at least two occasions leading to the inability to put the car in gear. I had to stop the engine, put it in gear, and restart. The first time it cleared before I could get to the dealer. The second time it was doing it when I dropped it off but cleared before the technician looked at it the next morning. This was the first clutch in my long experience that showed intermittent failure.

I still feel a slight vibration, but the vibration when the clutch first started failing was much more pronounced.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
More likely, a balance issue with the driveshaft. Was that replaced when you had the diff replaced. Sudden diff or tranny failure can knock the tailshaft out out of balance.
Thank you for suggestion. It was not replaced. I will ask the shop to take a closer look during spring maintenance.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

I still feel a slight vibration, but the vibration when the clutch first started failing was much more pronounced.
In my case it is very slight vibration that can only be felt if you keep your hand on the shifter. It is much less than, for example, holding a phone on vibration mode.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:16 PM

I'm trying not to bug my writer...but today is about to close four days this week with no news. This after the call last Friday that he was keeping it over the weekend. Usually, if it was going to be ready today, I would have heard by now. The other reason I am trying not to pester is I don't know if he has had to miss time this week dealing with plumbers since I know there were broken pipes at the house courtesy of #SNOWVID21.

If I get any manner of update, I will let y'all know...

Old 03-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Got a call back from service manager today...he is getting pushback from outside the dealership who are trying to tell him that "it is normal" and "they all do that," ignoring that the problem has expanded in RPM range across the past several months.

We confirmed that it was a Gen4 clutch that was put in but it does not appear the flywheel was replaced, only that it was resurfaced. He is unsure if they picked up on the fact that there was a prior warranty repair, giving them quite likely too much credit for actually reviewing the service history.

It is late enough in the day that I won't pick it up until he is in on Monday.

I have not had a chance to review everything associated with the clutch master thread, but I thought I saw something in one of the posts about Gen 4 needing to have been matched to the Gen 2 flywheel. Can anyone confirm if I am misremembering?

Old 03-06-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

I wish I'd paid more attention to the pieces that came out when mine was replaced, but there was a piece floating around. It was not friction material. My recollection is that it was a small spring.

It had indeed stuck on at least two occasions leading to the inability to put the car in gear. I had to stop the engine, put it in gear, and restart. The first time it cleared before I could get to the dealer. The second time it was doing it when I dropped it off but cleared before the technician looked at it the next morning. This was the first clutch in my long experience that showed intermittent failure.

That was probably due to springs, etc. coming loose from the pressure plate.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mbelanger
Got a call back from service manager today...he is getting pushback from outside the dealership who are trying to tell him that "it is normal" and "they all do that," ignoring that the problem has expanded in RPM range across the past several months.

We confirmed that it was a Gen4 clutch that was put in but it does not appear the flywheel was replaced, only that it was resurfaced. He is unsure if they picked up on the fact that there was a prior warranty repair, giving them quite likely too much credit for actually reviewing the service history.

It is late enough in the day that I won't pick it up until he is in on Monday.

I have not had a chance to review everything associated with the clutch master thread, but I thought I saw something in one of the posts about Gen 4 needing to have been matched to the Gen 2 flywheel. Can anyone confirm if I am misremembering?
A bad flywheel will typically only cause a vibration while the clutch is being engaged. I suspect the Gen 4 clutch mates just fine with a Gen 1 flywheel, but if a clutch has failed it will have burnt the flywheel surface causing micro fractures. This just shows you that dealer shops no longer have the skills to work on MTs. At the very least a used flywheel needs to be resurfaced and magnafluxed for fractures. Since nobody even resurfaces brake discs anymore, always replacing the fly wheel with a clutch has become standard procedure.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:01 AM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I have this too on my MT. I'm usually pretty OCD with cars, but I honestly never even thought about it until I read this thread and was driving this past weekend. It only happens on deceleration with no throttle applied, and I can only feel it with my hand on the shifter.

No other negative transmission symptoms to speak of, besides my car not having the 4th gen clutch.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:23 AM

We are on a temp hold at the moment...was due to pick the car up and raised the question of 'if this is normal as they claim, why was it not doing it after the clutch was replaced under warranty?' The person who my service writer has that deals with the warranty peeps is out this week...since I was close to hitting 60K, I opted to leave it there for the week until the go-between returns. This way it at least eliminates the 'oh, well, we COULD have done something but NOW you are over 60K miles' nonsense...

Would have been more of a concern leaving it if I didn't have four other vehicles to choose from each morning...yeah, I know...1st world problems.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

What a hardship, you will have to have the butler fetch the old Aston. What would they think at the club?!

mbelanger (03-09-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:30 AM

By way of update...still in limbo. The F-Type is coming up on a month at the dealership now. It was suggested that I call and 'open a case' and after doing so and being told the issue would be referred, Jaguar of North America is now giving me the runaround and doesn't follow-up with the email or return calls they have promised on two different occasions since the 17th. My service guy also seems to be getting ghosted by them.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Escalate to JLR UK, they have put pressure on these NA bozos to get it done before. There is subforum here that they monitor.

mbelanger (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 04:27 PM

Escalate to JLR UK, they have put pressure on these NA bozos to get it done before. There is subforum here that they monitor.
Thnx for the heads-up on that one...

I made a THIRD call to JNA this afternoon after my service guy told me he still had heard nothing. This one actually gave me the Case Number over the phone AND sent the promised email. I don't expect much more today with it being a Friday, but if me and my service guy don't hear anything by Tuesday afternoon, your guidance will come in handy...

I just want my car back and functioning as it should...without some corporate type who likely doesn't even know what the third pedal is FOR claiming this is normal. If they want to give a letter that claims it is 'normal' to preserve my complaint and that they will cover when it blows in due course, then I will cross that bridge when we get there. But at this point, I still cannot help but to wonder if the guidance given to just resurface the Gen 1 flywheel when the Gen 4 clutch was installed is somehow factoring in...

SinF (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

I am rooting for you, but at the same time you need to prepare for the possibility that they won't be able to fix it.

Start considering Plan B. You might have to take it to a shop that specializes in bluprinting to have drivetrain balanced to the point where no vibrations occur. I am not convinced that your issue is related to flywheel or clutch. I speculated that it is related to lack of factory balancing of rotating mass, with having to dynamically balance your crank and pistons as the only way to solve this.

Quick Reply: vibration in shifter handle at 1800-2000 RPM