Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vision Pack

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021 | 12:58 PM
|
Default Vision Pack

Hi All,

New user here, in my search for an F-Type R. I'm working on a good deal, but it doesn't have any options (including no vision pack). Should this be a show stopper? I've read quite a few threads indicating that the vision pack is a must-have.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Best,
James

Last edited by GGG; 03-17-2021 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Put the "i" in Vison
Old 03-17-2021 | 01:13 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps not a deal-breaker, but my F-Type (V6S coupe) has the vision package and I can tell you that it is really useful. The rearward vision is somewhat restricted in both body versions; the vision package goes a long way in reducing the limitations. I especially like the blind-spot monitoring in the exterior mirrors.
On a related note, I would think that there would be many well or fully optioned F-Types available...but if a specific colour, body style and equipment details are all "must haves", the field becomes much narrower.

Old 03-17-2021 | 01:26 PM

I have never had the blind spot monitoring on a car, but I do like it on my F-type. I like how it flashes when someone is coming up on the side at a high rate of speed.

The following users liked this post:
Island Maser (03-18-2021)
Old 03-17-2021 | 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by capt_slow
Hi All,

New user here, in my search for an F-Type R. I'm working on a good deal, but it doesn't have any options (including no vision pack). Should this be a show stopper? I've read quite a few threads indicating that the vision pack is a must-have.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Best,
James
It's odd for an R to not be very well equipped. Is it perhaps just not noted?

Old 03-17-2021 | 01:41 PM
|

Thanks all for the notes - it just has the standard equipment, I received a print out of the build sheet from the dealer. A lot of the Rs that I am seeing really just have the vision package as an option, since most of the things that are options on the other models are standard on the R.

Old 03-17-2021 | 02:06 PM

It really depends on your comfort level. My last two F-TYPEs didn't have the Vision Pack and I was ok with it. My 3rd F-TYPE now has it but I even then I find myself not using it. I'm curious where you're located. Build specs on R's here in the US came with the Vision Packs.

Old 03-17-2021 | 02:09 PM

Depends on what you're using the car for. If it's for the daily commute, and squeezing into office parking spaces, the vision pack would make life a lot easier. If the car is for weekend blasts/trackdays/cars and coffee, the electronic aids aren't really necessary. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it's better not to have them (fewer things to go wrong and keep you from enjoying the vehicle, etc.)

Identify your needs and the answer should become a lot simpler. Good luck with the purchase!

Old 03-17-2021 | 02:09 PM
|

I'm in the US. I've had cars in the past without it (and got along fine, even in my mustangs of yonder years with fairly poor visibility). My current cars all have backup cams and sensors and the like. Probably fine, just wasn't sure just how bad the visibility in the F-Type really is - it has been a while since I drove one.

Old 03-17-2021 | 02:10 PM

My F-type did not come with a vision pack, so I added the aftermarket blind spot sensors and rear-facing cameras. very easy to do and not that expensive 250.00 installed for just blind spot sensors, add 350 more for rear-facing side cameras (placed on side mirrors) and rear camera both viewed on the audio screen on the dashboard entertainment unit. pretty much any car audio place can do this for you in a day. I also added heated seats, a heating steering wheel, and front parking sensors with a front camera too.

Last edited by vettegood; 03-17-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2021 | 05:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Mine doesn’t have it, but don’t really need it with the top down (which is most of the time.) I’m guessing you’re looking at a coupe...

Old 03-18-2021 | 03:28 AM

Despite the atrocious video quality, it would be pretty hard to back up without the camera in my 16 coupe. I would definitely go for it or get it retrofitted.

Old 03-18-2021 | 06:43 AM

my first few weeks with the car, the blind spot monitor in the mirrors saved me from two crashes

Old 03-18-2021 | 07:22 AM

It is a big help on the car for backing up - night can be tough with no camera in the coupe. Safety monitoring sensors are pretty sweet too. My drivers mirror starting flashing last night on the way home. I was like what is wrong with that. Then I notice pretty far back a beater coming hard with no lights on. I was doing 70 he had to be doing 90 or 100. First time I seen that on the car as I am less than 30 days with this car. Very impressed it could pick up the speed differential on a closing vehicle. Outstanding. I have done a lot of track time in various cars. Speed differential on a track is one of my biggest concerns. I like to know what else is out there. I was coming out of the pits in MINI JCW with about 350 HP. Fast in the corners but not so much on the straights. Worker controlling the pit entrance. "There is GT Cup car out there testing with over 1300 HP watch out for him because it is crazy fast." Lap 3 I spot him coming onto the front straight as I am hitting turn 1 at the end of the straight- about 1/2 mile so big speeds. I figured he would be on me around turn 4 or 5 and I wanted to be out of his way. He went around the outside of me in turn 2 like was dragging cinder blocks. Dam. I pitted and waited for that beast to clear the track. New technology is amazing but you will get use to it with out it. You should see my buddy back his Lambo Countach. Now that takes skill.

Old 03-18-2021 | 09:04 AM

I have it and have found it very useful--especially in the convertible. With the roof down, blind spots are non-existent but with the roof up there are some significant blind spots (especially if you are tall and have the seat all the way back to the edge of the window) and between the cross-traffic warning and blind spot warning it has definitely helped me out. The cross-traffic is great for backing out of a parking spot with taller vehicles on either side--with the roof up you simply cannot see down the parking aisle.

I've also heard many complaints of the quality of the camera image, but I believe the camera was improved in the mid-cycle refresh (2018) as my MY18 has excellent camera quality, day or night.

Old 03-18-2021 | 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

I'd agree with the "nice, but not essential" sentiment. I don't have it on my F-Type, and don't miss it for normal driving. I did end up putting the top down on a freezing New Year's Eve when I first got it for a close parking maneuver. I later added a NAV-TV back-up camera. If you like the car you're looking at and the price is right, that's a option.

The F-Pace has it and it's nice, especially for parking, but the overall visibility is very good so I rarely utilize it.

Old 03-18-2021 | 10:03 AM

I love the side mirror warnings and the parking sensors since the front end is long and I'm sitting low (great for not hitting our other cars). The reverse camera is a must, but the camera angle is a little wonky.

Old 08-09-2021 | 03:25 PM
Default Adding Sensors

Originally Posted by vettegood
My F-type did not come with a vision pack, so I added the aftermarket blind spot sensors and rear-facing cameras. very easy to do and not that expensive 250.00 installed for just blind spot sensors, add 350 more for rear-facing side cameras (placed on side mirrors) and rear camera both viewed on the audio screen on the dashboard entertainment unit. pretty much any car audio place can do this for you in a day. I also added heated seats, a heating steering wheel, and front parking sensors with a front camera too.
I would love to see the manufacturer and model names/numbers for all the vision related stuff you added. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2021 | 03:01 PM

Quick question about the Vision Pack on the 2015 MYs:
Could you spec the rearview cam and front/back sensors independently, or did you have to go for the Vision Pack?

The reason I'm asking in such a way is that I'm going to look at a 2015 V6S Lunar Grey on Wednesday, but the seller is completely clueless about the options (it's one of these agent type sellers where private individuals hire "pros" to sell their cars without having to do any work themselves). I need to know if it has blind spot monitoring as that is a deal breaker. It has the camera and the front/rear sensors, that much I can see from the pictures.
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-22-2021 | 03:09 PM

As others have noted, if you adjust your mirrors carefully you don't have any actual blind spot on either side. You can have continuous coverage from the rear to the side mirrors, with a glance out the window as the final check. Bit of learning curve to get used to this, but it works. The warning sensors are nice, but not essential IMHO.

Old 08-22-2021 | 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

But you can tell if it has the monitoring system just by examining the mirror glass. If it has this option the sensors are clearly visible.

Quick Reply: Vision Pack