F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which grille do you prefer - standard with bar or P7 with no bar?
I prefer the factory grille with the bar
16.28%
I'd upgrade to the P7 style grille with NO bar if I could
83.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Vote: Front Grille Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

There's all kinds of custom fabrications that you COULD do and I've thought of modifying the factory surround by infilling the cutouts but honestly, IF you can buy the P7 parts it's a no-brainer at the cost from Jaguar.....problem is getting the parts.

Clearly by the results of the poll with 4 out of 5 respondents preferring the P7 grille look, there could be some success in a reasonably priced aftermarket grille and surround.....which I think is the only way most people would consider the swap.

Dave

Old 04-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
IF you can buy the P7 parts it's a no-brainer at the cost from Jaguar.....problem is getting the parts.
As you have discovered for yourself, the parts are in such limited supply, that it will take forever to meet just the demand expressed on the thread.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
As you have discovered for yourself, the parts are in such limited supply, that it will take forever to meet just the demand expressed on the thread.

My theory is that the vast majority of F-Type owners are ambivalent, for which there was no poll category. I just don't think there's enough demand to justify development of such an aftermarket part. In fact, the aftermarket has yet to conclude there's enough of a market to develop virtually anything for the F-Type.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed; an aftermarket solution based on the P7 stuff as discussed in that CF thread would appear to be the most logical.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
In fact, the aftermarket has yet to conclude there's enough of a market to develop virtually anything for the F-Type.
Yet, that development is occurring (albeit slowly) on several fronts.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yet, that development is occurring (albeit slowly) on several fronts.
Yes, I see a lot of talk, accompanied by a lot of no action.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

My theory is that the vast majority of F-Type owners are ambivalent, for which there was no poll category. I just don't think there's enough demand to justify development of such an aftermarket part. In fact, the aftermarket has yet to conclude there's enough of a market to develop virtually anything for the F-Type.

Regardless, there are clearly more than a handful of "vocal" people that aren't fond of the bar! ;-) ... but while there appears to be strong demand amongst an elite group of enthusiasts, you are correct; the F type isn't exactly a high production vehicle so a market analysis would have to be done to determine tooling and production costs vs. actual selling price to see if anything is feasible.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

I see a poll where 37 posters said they'd go for it "if they could." If it became available and once folks became aware of the total cost of parts and installation, my WAG would be maybe 12 actually get done.

Contrary to what someone said, it is NOT a 15 minute job. I've had my nose off, and there is quite a bit of fiddling required to reinstall it and get all the seams matched up right again.

It's easy to say you want something, and quite another to actually get it done.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

I see a poll where 37 posters said they'd go for it "if they could." If it became available and once folks became aware of the total cost of parts and installation, my WAG would be maybe 12 actually get done.

Contrary to what someone said, it is NOT a 15 minute job. I've had my nose off, and there is quite a bit of fiddling required to reinstall it and get all the seams matched up right again.

Maybe......but the original question was only whether people liked the bar or not....in that respect the poll is conclusive: far more than a "handful" of people don't like the bar. It is what it is.

Yes, that doesn't equate to a business case and I agree on the 15 minute comment; in fact I'm sure it'd take me several hours and that's before dealing with the parking sensor issue.

Dave

Old 04-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

OK, we're now armed with the knowledge that the bar lost an election by a wide margin, where less than 50 votes were cast. However, it's only meaningful if there are big enough numbers to build a business case strong enough to motivate someone to develop that part, and will enough people who hate the bar enough to actually pay the price for changing it.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

OK, we're now armed with the knowledge that the bar lost an election by a wide margin, where less than 50 votes were cast. However, it's only meaningful if there are big enough numbers to build a business case strong enough to motivate someone to develop that part, and will enough people who hate the bar enough to actually pay the price for changing it.
Yep, that is the question. :-)

Dave

Old 04-18-2016, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I see a lot of talk, accompanied by a lot of no action.
Yes, that too!!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

All too true, but with a lot of patience and even more tenacity, you can sometimes win the day.

Still waiting on the shifter and the engine cover. Progress on these seems to be moving more slowly than recent movement of the polar ice cap boundaries.

Eurotoys, however, did come through with the +18mm lower pulley kit for the V6.

The following users liked this post:
Eurotoys (04-18-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I was able to get my hands on the Project 7 grill and grill surround, and am happy to report that they fit the stock front facia perfectly. The mounting points are all exactly the same, so the only fabrication comes in making custom mounts for the parking sensors. Even that is pretty straightforward, as the openings in the Project 7 grill are large enough to easily accomidate the sensors. Just be sure to mount them at approximately the same height as the stock location to avoid calibration issues.
I had my installer paint the grill surround gloss gloss black prior to installation. While he had the car, I had him remove and repaint the aluminum window surrounds gloss black as well, as the "black pack" option was not available on 2015s in blue.
Needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

Last edited by rocspo; 06-29-2016 at 06:10 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by rocspo:
DPelletier (07-02-2016), F12guy (12-19-2016), Foosh (06-29-2016), IRRBrogue (06-29-2016), JgaXkr (07-03-2016), jleuz1 (07-01-2016), WayneB (07-01-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I forgot to mention that the large styrofoam piece behind the grill bar will not fit with the Project 7 grill, and will have to be removed. I also had him paint everything behind the grill flat black, so you can't see anything through the grill, whose openings are considerably larger than those on the stock grill.
Also, the Jaguar badge will need to be removed from the stock grill and installed on the new one, as it arrived without one.

Last edited by rocspo; 06-29-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
I forgot to mention that the large styrofoam piece behind the grill bar will not fit with the Project 7 grill, and will have to be removed. I also had him paint everything behind the grill flat black, so you can't see anything through the grill, whose openings are considerably larger than those on the stock grill.
Also, the Jaguar badge will need to be removed from the stock grill and installed on the new one, as it arrived without one.
Rosco, my bar is drilled out with four gaping screw holes thankfully provided by the dealer for the front plate holder so I am in the precarious position of, get this, buying a new bar!

I would be indentured for life to you if you could fabricate me a grill such as yours so I can plug/play.

PM me as to what would have to happen for me to be next in line.

Extremely interested!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-29-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Rosco, my bar is drilled out with four gaping screw holes thankfully provided by the dealer for the front plate holder so I am in the precarious position of, get this, buying a new bar!

I would be indentured for life to you if you could fabricate me a grill such as yours so I can plug/play.

PM me as to what would have to happen for me to be next in line.

Extremely interested!
Polaris, let me know if you want to order the P7 grille and surround. I can set you up with the right info.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
I was able to get my hands on the Project 7 grill and grill surround, and am happy to report that they fit the stock front facia perfectly. The mounting points are all exactly the same, so the only fabrication comes in making custom mounts for the parking sensors. Even that is pretty straightforward, as the openings in the Project 7 grill are large enough to easily accomidate the sensors. Just be sure to mount them at approximately the same height as the stock location to avoid calibration issues.
I had my installer paint the grill surround gloss gloss black prior to installation. While he had the car, I had him remove and repaint the aluminum window surrounds gloss black as well, as the "black pack" option was not available on 2015s in blue.
Needless to say, I am very happy with the results.

This looks fantastic! Great work.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

It really does look great. I like it better on the original nose than the one on the Project 7.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

I see a little Cheshire cat here...

Kind of a wry feline smile. I dig it.

The bumper looks like a cat with braces.

The elephant in the room that no one has even bothered to mention is....

What if we bump into something, I see the entire nose folding in like a coke can.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-29-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Vote: Front Grille Bar