F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which grille do you prefer - standard with bar or P7 with no bar?
I prefer the factory grille with the bar
16.28%
I'd upgrade to the P7 style grille with NO bar if I could
83.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Vote: Front Grille Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Here is my car front with the surround PD'd

As you can see, it's basically a perfect match. Noting to worry about.

Attached Thumbnails Vote: Front Grille Bar-img_6675.jpg  
Old 07-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Default Heres my car with the PD'd surround

Mr DPelletier

My oem surround was chrome. As you can plainly see there's no issue with a shade mismatch.

I think your real decision is the same as mine, large or small mouth bass!

Attached Thumbnails Vote: Front Grille Bar-img_6675.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
See how the grill looks far more proportioned to the face when it appears smaller?

That little surround makes a huge difference in terms of scale to the front. To my eye, almost a 50% reduction in grill size!...It's a double whammy because not only are you not widening the black but you are also gaining the white which doubles the perceived effect. If you open the pics up to full size and keep clicking "next", the photos will toggle.

But you decide!
I'm sure everyone will have their own preference, but in this example of a White car, I prefer the Black Surround with the Black Grill. Two reasons: 1) I like the proportion of the larger appearing black grill area created by the Black Surround; 2) I don't care for the seam between the White Front Clip and the White Grill Surround. This seam is still present with the Black Surround, but it comes at a change of color. When both the car and the surround are white, this seam makes it look like an unnecessary piece was scabbed in there, and it adds visual clutter.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
I'm sure everyone will have their own preference, but in this example of a White car, I prefer the Black Surround with the Black Grill. Two reasons: 1) I like the proportion of the larger appearing black grill area created by the Black Surround; 2) I don't care for the seam between the White Front Clip and the White Grill Surround. This seam is still present with the Black Surround, but it comes at a change of color. When both the car and the surround are white, this seam makes it look like an unnecessary piece was scabbed in there, and it adds visual clutter.
To each his own Mr Tyson.

Don't forget I photoshopped the picture of the white surround, thus the seam you refer to. It may or may not be as prevalent as it appears in this mock up.

I like the smaller grill. Especially if the F pays homage to the E which has a smaller grill as well.

Bottom line is either way is not some deal breaker, neither look ruins the F, so just do you.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Funny that you mention these two points. I composed the response below last night, but didn't get around to posting it. As you can see, you took the words right out of my mouth!
To each his own, everyone should do exactly as they like.
I prefer the black grill surround option for two reasons.
One, the appearance of a larger grill opening simply looks better to me - completely subjective, but that's my opinion.
Second, I don't like the creases that a body-colored surround adds to the front of the car. As designed, the front of the car is so "fluid" and flowing - it has almost no edges whatsoever, and the few that it does have serve a purpose. If the grill surround was molded to the body, eliminating the crease between the two parts, I would like it much better. With the black grill surround, the edge between the two parts is somewhat camouflaged. The crease is eliminated, and the body retains its smooth, flowing look. Do the photo comparison you mention and you will see what I mean.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rocspo
Funny that you mention these two points. I composed the response below last night, but didn't get around to posting it. As you can see, you took the words right out of my mouth!
To each his own, everyone should do exactly as they like.
I prefer the black grill surround option for two reasons.
One, the appearance of a larger grill opening simply looks better to me - completely subjective, but that's my opinion.
Second, I don't like the creases that a body-colored surround adds to the front of the car. As designed, the front of the car is so "fluid" and flowing - it has almost no edges whatsoever, and the few that it does have serve a purpose. If the grill surround was molded to the body, eliminating the crease between the two parts, I would like it much better. With the black grill surround, the edge between the two parts is somewhat camouflaged. The crease is eliminated, and the body retains its smooth, flowing look. Do the photo comparison you mention and you will see what I mean.
Good points.

My main point is this.

When deciding on styling cues, for me, I always ask myself WWFD, or what would Ferrari do.

As much as I like the shape of the F, a few things bothered me. The shiny plastic looking, or worse, the chrome add-ons Jag decide to slap on the car as opposed to color matching them as Ferrari would have done to accentuate the smooth lines of the curved aluminum body. Had these parts come even in matte black, I could have lived with it I suppose. Then I noticed a phenomenon. You also have to realize that on a white car, this contrast is magnified tenfold. If my car was say red, this all would need to be rethought. I saw a Black F with the black pack. Shiny black car, shiny black accents. Looked perfect. I think on that we both agree, how to get there is the difference, I'm going color match, in addition to the hood vents that I've already done, along with the side fender vents, which in my opinion, need to be white, other the the inside grilling. This would smooth out the body line as I saw on that black car with the black pack, nothing broken up or distracting, the smooth flow as you guys seem to desire. In the end I seek a beautiful white car, with smooth lines with subtle accent grills under coded parts. Like keeping the theme of the front nose with black intake grills.

Also, your complaint about the surround totally eliminates what the P7 was trying to accomplish which was to contrast the surround by introducing a third color.

I get your point though and should I grow tired of the white surround, its easy to PD.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Thanks for the pics; I'm still undecided on the white vs. black surround (both look good to me) but since the black can be done with plastidip and then easily undone at any time, I'm leaning to that.....

Interesting discussion on the various looks of an F type. Personally, the biggest thing for me was the grill bar.....after that nothing too major though I think that cars with the Black Pack should have gotten black badging as well.

there are many other potential things;

- side skirts; yes or no? if yes, the big AWD ones or the smaller ones like mine? Black or body color? I can see how omitting them makes the car "skinnier" but I like the protection they offer so I'm keeping my thinner ones.....body color for now but may change to black in the future.

- black pack vs. chrome vs. body color; I think it depends on color. I'm not big on the chrome myself. I could see the hood vents and fender vents in body color but I don't mind the black pack.

- body colored splitter vs. black; my car has the optional body colored splitter (and related side pces) and I prefer it. .....not enough to have them painted if I had a car with black ones though.

- rear diffuser; black vs. body color. ....I like both but think black makes her butt look smaller.....sorta the same as the side skirts I guess.

so many choices!

Dave

Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Thanks for the pics; I'm still undecided on the white vs. black surround (both look good to me) but since the black can be done with plastidip and then easily undone at any time, I'm leaning to that.....

Interesting discussion on the various looks of an F type. Personally, the biggest thing for me was the grill bar.....after that nothing too major though I think that cars with the Black Pack should have gotten black badging as well.

- side skirts; yes or no? if yes, the big AWD ones or the smaller ones like mine? Black or body color? I can see how omitting them makes the car "skinnier" but I like the protection they offer so I'm keeping my thinner ones.....body color for now but may change to black in the future.

- black pack vs. chrome vs. body color; I think it depends on color. I'm not big on the chrome myself. I could see the hood vents and fender vents in body color but I don't mind the black pack.

- body colored splitter vs. black; my car has the optional body colored splitter (and related side pces) and I prefer it. .....not enough to have them painted if I had a car with black ones though.

- rear diffuser; black vs. body color. ....I like both but think black makes her butt look smaller.....sorta the same as the side skirts I guess.

so many choices!

Dave

Don't over think it, The safe option is to paint it polaris, install it and see how you like it. You can always PD after the fact because the one thing you do know for sure is that you don't want gray so it's a win win. You can go to your local bodyshop paint supplier and have them mix you up a spray can of polaris. 4-5 coats and then clear it and it'll cost you less than $40 to turn it polaris before install.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Interesting comparisons, and I think I like the black surround best (compared to the white). Very happy I went with the black pack though, as the black surround blends in with the grille. This is how mine looks like, and I can't really find any reason to change it:

Old 07-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

As we agree on a red car it looks fine. I think your huge Euro plate hiding half of your grille creates a mute point in your case anyways. This is pertaining primarily to white cars or at the least a car where you can even see the grille.

Read the fine print.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

As we agree on a red car it looks fine. I think your huge Euro plate hiding half of your grille creates a mute point in your case anyways. This is pertaining primarily to white cars or at the least a car where you can even see the grille.

Read the fine print.
As I said - Interesting comparisons, and I think I like the black surround best (compared to the white).

I do agree that it might be different on different colored cars (black as the rest of the grill, or painted in the same color as the car), but from your comparison the larger looking grille looks best in my opinion. This will always be very subjective though.

What you should be glad for is not needing the large euro plate

Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
As I said - Interesting comparisons, and I think I like the black surround best (compared to the white).

I do agree that it might be different on different colored cars (black as the rest of the grill, or painted in the same color as the car), but from your comparison the larger looking grille looks best in my opinion. This will always be very subjective though.

What you should be glad for is not needing the large euro plate
You should consider lowering it with a Sto n Go then your nice large grille can be seen.

Attached Thumbnails Vote: Front Grille Bar-screen-shot-2016-07-04-1.14.18-pm.png  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

You should consider lowering it with a Sto n Go then your nice large grille can be seen.
A good suggestion, and I am considering that. Will need to cover the holes (from the excisting bracket) and repaint the bar, but I would guess that's pretty straight forward.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

A good suggestion, and I am considering that. Will need to cover the holes (from the excisting bracket) and repaint the bar, but I would guess that's pretty straight forward.
As the vicious circle continues, thats exactly why I'm doing the BGM (bumperless grille mod) in the first place. So I don't have to dump good money fixing the holes in my bar that are now glaring at me because I moved my plate down with the Sto n Go that I bought.

It really never ends.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-04-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

As the vicious circle continues, thats exactly why I'm doing the BGM (bumperless grille mod) in the first place. So I don't have to dump good money fixing the holes in my bar that are now glaring at me because I moved my plate down with the Sto n Go that I bought.

It really never ends.
It's a nice mod, and both of your comparison pics looks better than with the bar.

Not sure I like the large single side intakes over the standard double ones though. It's a more agressive look and suits the SVR well. But the classic look of the standard ones are more appeling to me. Again it comes down to personal preference, and it is very easy to see why the opinions will vary here.

They both look good though

Old 07-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

It's a nice mod, and both of your comparison pics looks better than with the bar.

Not sure I like the large single side intakes over the standard double ones though. It's a more agressive look and suits the SVR well. But the classic look of the standard ones are more appeling to me. Again it comes down to personal preference, and it is very easy to see why the opinions will vary here.

They both look good though
Thats not part of the mod as you know right?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thats not part of the mod as you know right?
I know. Just my opinion on the SVR front in general.

And it could also be a mod for those who like that part better as well.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier

so many choices!

Dave
I like skirts like this...

Attached Thumbnails Vote: Front Grille Bar-screen-shot-2016-07-04-1.46.49-pm.png  
Old 07-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Sensor mounting, etc.

I am thinking about locating the Parking Sensors in the Grille like Rocspo did. Thanks Rocspo for the very informative guide. And thanks Unhinged for your help. The only problem is that I don't want to ruin the original bumper bar by cutting out existing sensor brackets in case I ever need to restore it for resale or get in an accident and am unable to get a P 7 type replacement grille.

I was thinking of having plates made to fit in the honeycomb. Since it looks like the original sensor mount brackets are permanently attached to the bumper bar and not available for purchase I am looking for another alternative.

Are there brackets available on another model that can be purchased that would accept these sensor that I could attach to plate?

Could I purchase other sensors w/ brackets that would be compatible with the current system?

Another question:

What is the best way to secure the wiring harness that is attached to the interior of the bumper bar? I was thinking of attaching eyelets to the interior of the new grille and securing it with cable ties. Can it be moved above or below the grille?

What is the white box on the far corner of Surround and does it mount on the new Surround?

Any help will be appreciated.

Jack

Attached Thumbnails Vote: Front Grille Bar-20141214_213731182_i_os_c2b555d68790ceba02fd0f5072a237e787fdf3d6.jpg  

Last edited by jleuz1; 07-09-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I would be unwilling to do this grill mod because it will devalue the car and doesn't look 'better' imo.

A mod such as Seen Thru Glass on You Tube had done - with a vinyl wrap (removable) around the outer perimeter of the grill might look nice with the right color.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (07-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Vote: Front Grille Bar