F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which grille do you prefer - standard with bar or P7 with no bar?
I prefer the factory grille with the bar
16.28%
I'd upgrade to the P7 style grille with NO bar if I could
83.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Vote: Front Grille Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jleuz1
I am thinking about locating the Parking Sensors in the Grille like Rocspo did. Thanks Rocspo for the very informative guide. And thanks Unhinged for your help. The only problem is that I don't want to ruin the original bumper bar by cutting out existing sensor brackets in case I ever need to restore it for resale or get in an accident and am unable to get a P 7 type replacement grille.

I was thinking of having plates made to fit in the honeycomb. Since it looks like the original sensor mount brackets are permanently attached to the bumper bar and not available for purchase I am looking for another alternative.

Are there brackets available on another model that can be purchased that would accept these sensor that I could attach to plate?

Could I purchase other sensors w/ brackets that would be compatible with the current system?

Another question:

What is the best way to secure the wiring harness that is attached to the interior of the bumper bar? I was thinking of attaching eyelets to the interior of the new grille and securing it with cable ties. Can it be moved above or below the grille?

What is the white box on the far corner of Surround and does it mount on the new Surround?

Any help will be appreciated.

Jack
1) Don't think you would ever need to replace the Bumper Bar for resale purposes. There is no Bumper Police that is going to call you out on not having a the bar there. In fact, so many other Jaguar models don't have a bar across the grille so I doubt any potential buyer would think twice.

2) If you get in a front end collision, insurance would pay to have the P7 grill replaced, and if they can't get it, insurance would pay to restore the bumper bar to factory spec because it would have been destroyed in a front end collision in the first place.

3) As far as alternate brackets, any gloss black plastic about 1/16" thick will do the job. you can find sheets of plastic online, even at Amazon. Trim to size and shape. Glue into place.

4) Don't know about the wiring harness for the sensors, would be curious to hear what others have done with the wiring.

5) The white box you are asking about is the opening in the bumper bar for the tow hook. With the P7 Grill, I believe the Tow Hook will pass right thru the wide mesh, in the one opening to the right of where Rocspo mounted his right side parking sensor.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
1) Don't think you would ever need to replace the Bumper Bar for resale purposes. There is no Bumper Police that is going to call you out on not having a the bar there. In fact, so many other Jaguar models don't have a bar across the grille so I doubt any potential buyer would think twice.

2) If you get in a front end collision, insurance would pay to have the P7 grill replaced, and if they can't get it, insurance would pay to restore the bumper bar to factory spec because it would have been destroyed in a front end collision in the first place.

3) As far as alternate brackets, any gloss black plastic about 1/16" thick will do the job. you can find sheets of plastic online, even at Amazon. Trim to size and shape. Glue into place.

4) Don't know about the wiring harness for the sensors, would be curious to hear what others have done with the wiring.

5) The white box you are asking about is the opening in the bumper bar for the tow hook. With the P7 Grill, I believe the Tow Hook will pass right thru the wide mesh, in the one opening to the right of where Rocspo mounted his right side parking sensor.
good info....crisp.

There is a point to be made about a front end collision and insurance re: Using P7 parts for repair.

Because the insurance company would need to authorize the bodyshop to replace the parts, they would order them based on the VIN. It would be near impossible for one to intercede the process of bodyshop>insurance>parts>repair to try to slide in a few P7 parts using a Vin that wasn't accurate. I would think that we would literally have to bring the P7 parts to the shop for install and take the $600 hit. Chances are that we could get the new, non P7 parts put into our trunks and then we could sell them on eBay to recover a few dollars.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-09-2016 at 08:15 PM.
jleuz1 (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to alleviate any confusion. The bar that goes across the stock grille on an F-Type is not a "bumper". The bumper is the metal bar located behind the fascia. It stays, regardless of which grille used. The plastic piece that cuts across horizontally does serve a purpose though... it holds the parking sensors. This is why the P7 cannot be optioned with parking sensors.... it lacks the mount to push the sensors far enough away from the grille to not cause interference. Here's a pic of the back side of the stock unit. It's just thin ABS plastic and couldn't withstand someone pushing on it too hard let alone "bumping"

Ryan

jleuz1 (07-10-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan23
Just to alleviate any confusion. The bar that goes across the stock grille on an F-Type is not a "bumper". The bumper is the metal bar located behind the fascia. It stays, regardless of which grille used. The plastic piece that cuts across horizontally does serve a purpose though... it holds the parking sensors. This is why the P7 cannot be optioned with parking sensors.... it lacks the mount to push the sensors far enough away from the grille to not cause interference. Here's a pic of the back side of the stock unit. It's just thin ABS plastic and couldn't withstand someone pushing on it too hard let alone "bumping"

Ryan
Ahh OK, I thought the non P7 grill contained steel within the bar. Thanks for clarity.

Just love crisp factoids.