F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waited almost 2 years, what's one more? Right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019 | 08:22 AM
|
Default Waited almost 2 years, what's one more? Right?

About two years ago, I saw my first F-Type and my jaw hit the floor. Since that time, nothing else would do and it WOULD be my next daily driver when the budget allowed. That time has come, well sort of.
However, over the weekend I began to consider that an off lease '16 or '17 V6 purchase or lease of '19/'20 4/V6 right now might not be the smartest decision with the new 'look' coming in '21. I'm strongly considering waiting another year to see the '21's as I may prefer it to the current (although, I do find the current look pretty much perfect). I also have to say I really like the design of the new F Roma, especially the headlight design, which I'm thinking may be somewhat similar to the new headlights on the '21 F-Type.
I'm also thinking that there will be even better lease deals on late year '20's this time next year with the '21's on the close horizon.
I can squeeze one more year out of my current daily, so I just might do that. With Winter here, that makes the decision a bit easier, but I guess we'll see in the Spring.

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 11-18-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2019 | 08:37 AM

That post didn't end they way I thought it would. Seemed you love the F type, and you wisely waited until the prices on used ones had come down to where it was affordable to you, but now you want to wait on a redesign? If being seen in the latest model is important to you, then perhaps you should wait. But then you are likely buying new and taking a huge depreciation hit - which seems somewhat less financially sound. Hey we need folks to buy the latest new model so others can buy them at 2-3 years old for 50% of MSRP, but that wasn't the point I thought you were making at the start of your post. Just my 2 cents...

Old 11-18-2019 | 09:04 AM

The first time I saw a F-Type I turned around and follow it into Home Depot. Looked it over in amazement. I got one three months later. 2017 coup v-6. I do not like that they changed the front end in 2018.

Old 11-18-2019 | 09:14 AM
|

Sorry, I wouldn't be buying a '21, possibly leasing if they have some really good rates. I've never leased a car before, but I am considering it for the F-Type as I'm not 100% certain it would be a car I would/could keep for 10+ years as a daily. I'm 6'3", 220, back surgery a few years ago, and I've only had the luxury of short test drives in an F-type, so there is some concern about my comfort over several years. I'm also in and out of the car several times a day. The plan all along has been to purchase a '16 but when I see the current lease prices on the V6, I have been reconsidering. Right now, purchase price of a V6 '16 comes out to about the same monthly payment as leasing a new V6. I've not driven one yet, but I hear that the '19/'20 year models have more leg room and more comfortable seats for large drivers.
I've spent more time than I care to admit reading several articles on the choice of leasing versus buying used. Trying to be as smart and educated a buyer as I can be, but sometimes I over think and over ponder my buying decisions.
Buying new would be out of my price range and I also never buy new due to the depreciation. I'm certainly not in the 'I have to be seen in the latest model' crowd. I'm on year 10 with my CTS and my 'fun' car is 50 years old! My thought on waiting is primarily focused on what the '21's will offer in the way of savings incentives of the current gen..

Last edited by SonofGaladriel; 11-18-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2019 | 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Past performance is no guarantee of future... However, past performance with redesigns of F-type was that of detraction. The best looking F-types are ones released first. Looking at early spy shots (i.e. changes are still possible), redesigned F-type looks more like Mustang than the car Ian Callum originally designed. On a mechanical side, the new engine choices also unexciting - BMW twin turbo V8 is a pinnacle of unreliability, I6 turbo hybrid has a lot of new tech that adds complexity and weight (for meager mileage gains), and current turbo I4 is a commuter car engine that does not belong in F-type.

Keep in mind, buying new F-type is rather expensive - depreciation is steep. I see no reason to eat that depreciation only to get an inferior product.

Old 11-18-2019 | 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
Past performance is no guarantee of future... However, past performance with redesigns of F-type was that of detraction. The best looking F-types are ones released first. Looking at early spy shots (i.e. changes are still possible), redesigned F-type looks more like Mustang than the car Ian Callum originally designed. On a mechanical side, the new engine choices also unexciting - BMW twin turbo V8 is a pinnacle of unreliability, I6 turbo hybrid has a lot of new tech that adds complexity and weight (for meager mileage gains), and current turbo I4 is a commuter car engine that does not belong in F-type.

Keep in mind, buying new F-type is rather expensive - depreciation is steep. I see no reason to eat that depreciation only to get an inferior product.
I totally agree, as a BMW owner, forget it. "Unreliable" is too kind a word. BMW engines are an attrocious combination of rapid-fire planned and unplanned failures. Worst engineering of all time.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019 | 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SinF

agree 100%.

also, i've found that long ride comfort is excellent, but getting in/out is more of a challenge. you don't have to be a contortionist but it's a long way down and the side sills are wide.

Old 11-18-2019 | 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

The first time I saw an F-Type it was a black R coupe at a stoplight in front of me. I took a picture of it and tried to ride out the entirety of the lease on my EV, but I couldn't make it! I ended the lease a few months early and picked up my F-Type. I have not had a car speak to me like this in quite a while.

Last edited by eeeeek; 11-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2019 | 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

There is always something newer around the corner. Don't fall into that trap. Even in the midwest, you can enjoy a F-Type during the winter. We rarely get enough snow in the area where there aren't days that the car can be used. I will tell you that waiting won't be worth it.

Old 11-18-2019 | 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

An XKR would be easier as a daily if you are in and out of the car a lot and they are just as pretty to my eye, but they dont drive anything alike (much less traction, dont handle as well, 6 speed ZF isnt a patch on the 8 speed) and the infotainment is tired. But worth considering, they are a lot easier to get in and out of.