F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting for a key for 7 months?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 08:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Waiting for a key for 7 months?!

This is a random one... but my F-Type was in at the dealer for warranty repairs for about a month back in July to replace pretty much every computer in the car. One of those was the Gateway Control Module which also meant reprogramming the keys to the new module

One of my keys is an aftermarket key I bought from a locksmith (I lost the original) - this still works fine to this day. The other key was an OEM key delivered with the car, this key would not accept a reprogram and the dealership had to send it back to JLR to replace the key under warranty

This was 7 months ago... there's still no key! I'm about to get rid of the F-Type because it's been endless issues... but I don't have a second key to trade it in with. I called JLR customer service and they just said "Yeah... there's a backlog, sorry". How are they delivering new cars if they can't make keys?! Has anyone else seen this issue?

Old 02-16-2023, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Surely that must be related to the universal chip shortage.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:01 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottT
How are they delivering new cars if they can't make keys?! Has anyone else seen this issue?
Simple, they're delivering cars with just one key, with a promise to supply the second key in due course. Some i-Pace owners have been waiting for 7 months with no sign of extra keys.

Old 02-16-2023, 04:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Surely that must be related to the universal chip shortage.
Yeah I guess that'd be the only feasible explanation, JLR just said shortage of "parts" but chips are the only thing that makes sense. Weird that I was able to buy an OEM key from UHS hardware the week before I got the new gateway module and it arrived in 2 days (they're still showing as in stock now) and works perfectly fine. I guess maybe they have a stockpile of them? Surprised JLR wouldn't try and claw some back...

Originally Posted by scm
Simple, they're delivering cars with just one key, with a promise to supply the second key in due course. Some i-Pace owners have been waiting for 7 months with no sign of extra keys.
Oooooooooh that's interesting! I never would've imagined that'd be the case... what a bizarre situation. I had to help a friend get a replacement BMW key from the dealer a couple of months ago and that was immediate so it doesn't seem to be all brands. I wonder why JLR wouldn't switch suppliers, maybe they're tied in with the hardware and can't switch without redesigning the car-side hardware too, and/or maybe needing to re-certify parts?

Old 02-16-2023, 05:35 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

One of the first options in the JLR catalog to get removed due to the chip shortage was keyless entry. The chips required in the fobs for it were scarce. They originally deleted the option, but it was not something that could be easily added later at the dealer once chips were available again. That option is a must-have for a lot of customers and they were losing sales, so they realized they could still save 50% of the chips if they just delivered one key instead of two. This way they could still offer the option but ration the remaining chips they had. They are still trying to catch up to demand (and customer promises) so this shortage could still last for a while. But at least you can still get keyless entry.

Old 02-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

My '23 F-Type was delivered in early Jan 2023 and did include two key fobs (keyless entry and ignition). The dealer did mention that not all were showing up with two fobs.