F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want your opinion, Eventuri intake...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I think you're fooling yourself both about the reset and the new intake set up. People hate to think that they've wasted their money whether it be an overpriced restaurant, a fancy bottle of wine or vehicle upgrades.
Well, I am happy with it, just thought I'd share my experience since this topic is about eventuri. I was actually trying to help you out when you asked me a question. Ss23 is happy with his as well, I actually got it after his review.

I don't really see why you think I am fooling myself, I enjoy pricey restaurants and fancy wine as well, maybe we just have different disposable income?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest1
Well, I am happy with it, just thought I'd share my experience since this topic is about eventuri. I was actually trying to help you out when you asked me a question. Ss23 is happy with his as well, I actually got it after his review.

I don't really see why you think I am fooling myself, I enjoy pricey restaurants and fancy wine as well, maybe we just have different disposable income?
There has been some dyno work done on these, at least according to the internet that does show some hp gain.. and as you are happy with it, all the better, so thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

I've been considering one as well, as I do like the idea of better air flow even if the hp gain is not terribly impressive, and I am installing the velocity tune in the spring.

Actually, I installed an 'oil catch can' on mine, somewhat against popular forum opinion, and after only 1,000. Km the inside was very lightly coated with oil, at which point the car is in storage for the winter. We'll see if I get any more appreciable oil in the can later in the year, regardless, I like doing these sort of upgrades.
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
WayneB (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
There has been some dyno work done on these, at least according to the internet that does show some hp gain.. and as you are happy with it, all the better, so thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.

I've been considering one as well, as I do like the idea of better air flow even if the hp gain is not terribly impressive, and I am installing the velocity tune in the spring.

Actually, I installed an 'oil catch can' on mine, somewhat against popular forum opinion, and after only 1,000. Km the inside was very lightly coated with oil, at which point the car is in storage for the winter. We'll see if I get any more appreciable oil in the can later in the year, regardless, I like doing these sort of upgrades.
Lawrence
Hi Lawrence, Do you have any details (model and install directions) and pictures of your oil catch can install? I've been thinking of doing that too.
Thanks, Wayne

JgaXkr (01-21-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneB
Hi Lawrence, Do you have any details (model and install directions) and pictures of your oil catch can install? I've been thinking of doing that too.
Thanks, Wayne
Its difficult as the car is stored in the far reaches of my drive shed.. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can get a look at well enough for pictures, but it may need to wait for spring.

There are lots of 'oil catch cans' available, and I was advised to get one with a removable internal filter, which I did.
Lawrence.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The process your dealer used to 'reset things' is no more effective or permanent than temporarily disconnecting the main battery. This simply restores the engine computer to factory defaults. From the moment the engine is restated, it begins to learn and compensate for a multitude of variables unique to that engine and that car.

The end result is that it ends up exactly where it was prior to the reset, meaning that the process was a waste of time and money. If your dealer charged you money for this, he should be ashamed.

Then there's the old saying that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Its difficult as the car is stored in the far reaches of my drive shed.. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can get a look at well enough for pictures, but it may need to wait for spring.

There are lots of 'oil catch cans' available, and I was advised to get one with a removable internal filter, which I did.
Lawrence.
Just remembered its a 'Mishimoto Black compact' ... very difficult to find a spot for it.
Lawrence

WayneB (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
The process your dealer used to 'reset things' is no more effective or permanent than temporarily disconnecting the main battery. This simply restores the engine computer to factory defaults. From the moment the engine is restated, it begins to learn and compensate for a multitude of variables unique to that engine and that car.

The end result is that it ends up exactly where it was prior to the reset, meaning that the process was a waste of time and money. If your dealer charged you money for this, he should be ashamed.

Then there's the old saying that a fool and his money are soon parted.
A fool and his money? Not sure what you are so worked up about, the poster simply offered what he did to customize his car.
Lawrence

Old 01-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Yea ...

A fool and his money? Not sure what you are so worked up about, the poster simply offered what he did to customize his car.
Lawrence
Based on the harsh reply, you'd think he waisted Mikey's money and Mikey is pissed off. Don't get it ...

Old 01-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Based on the harsh reply, you'd think he waisted Mikey's money and Mikey is pissed off. Don't get it ...
Not pissed off, just making the point that it was a waste of money 'resetting the computers' and making statements that a power increase was achieved based on a butt dyno 'feeling' (in other words a placebo) is rather naive.

On the other hand, inferring that there's a connection between making informed decisions and a person's disposable income level sounds rather snobbish. My father used to say that he was impressed by what a person did with their money, not how much they had to start with.

YMMV.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Hi guys,
i can buy the cold air intake system for $1300.00

Simple question, is it worth getting?
I'm undecided so I'd appreciate your input on this product.
Yea ...
Nay .....

Thanks guys.
What are we grading on?

It doesn't appear to offer significant performance gains, and it's completely invisible.

Obviously, if you're getting as big a discount as the price you quote suggests, it's significantly more cost effective than normal.

But, see above for my observations on its effectiveness.

So. Now you have my opinion.

Out of curiosity, have you examined why you want to splash the cash?

Last edited by F-typical; 01-15-2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Missed the smiley
Old 01-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Guys, let's keep the personal comments out of it please. It's not necessary and adds nothing to the discussion. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Guest1
My tech guy used the dealers laptop and connected it to the car while charging the car battery. They have a software and they go into the interface and reset it and the computer does its thing.

For the throttle body I think it resets the position of the butterfly valve. I dont really know what resetting the maf does. I am not an expert lol, was trying to get an accurate read of a/f ratio.
The throttle body opening range is re-calibrated every time you cycle the ignition or start the engine. The throttle is quickly opened and closed every time and the end positions are noted by the PCM. I don't recall seeing a routine in the SDD Diagnostic System for this.

Likewise for the MAF ranges, there is no specific routine for this, I can't imagine a need for it either.

However what is available for a tech to do, is to reset the PCM Adaptations, this basically resets the PCM back to an unlearned factory state, and it can then re-learn the adaptations to this particular vehicle. I'd say this is what he did.

The Adaptations are vehicle-specific adjustments to fuel trims and so on, so if you make mechanical changes to the engine (e.g. changing the flow characteristics of the intakes) then there may be some differences which the PCM has to adapt to. Clearing the adaptations may help speed up the learning/adapting to the new conditions.

The following 5 users liked this post by Cambo:
DJS (01-17-2017), domino_z (01-20-2017), jaguny (01-15-2017), Panthro (02-01-2017), Unhingd (01-14-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

i keep going back n forth over this intake

i wish owners with it would make a video showing the sound

does it add supercharger whine inside the cabin like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCa0--LeBMU

edit! if any vendors watching can offer it to me at the op's $1300, pm me, ill take one for the team, film and dyno the **** outta it

Last edited by domino_z; 01-20-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
does it add supercharger whine inside the cabin like this /video
Mate, that's not whine. This is whine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Net5YJ8lNUc

A 2004 XJR

Old 01-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Yup. That's a supercharger.

The f-type is my 3rd supercharged car, the other two being a Corrado G60 (return piping removed, holes drilled in the air box), and an R53 JCW Mini with the 210 kit air box.

If you want supercharger whine on the f-type, ditch the Intercooler cover, and find a way to minimise the number of layers of material between your ears and the air filter elements.

HTH...

Old 01-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
...and an R53 JCW Mini with the 210 kit air box.
+1. The whine on my R53 JCW with the air box rear punch-out removed and a 17% overdrive pulley may actually sing louder than the Jag under full gallop. Can't hear the exhaust, the wind noise, or the spousal unit screaming at me.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Eventuri intake has arrived !

Hi guys, I pulled the trigger with the cold air intake system. Package arrived today. Initial impressions, the shipment box was ultra sealed closed for safety measures. The contents in the box were insulated & protected, very safe packaging for the product. Inspecting the carbon fibre intake system, it's obvious that the quality is nothing less than top notch quality. Very impressive. The air filter is also of very high quality and it's a dry filter, not an oiled filter, so there's no chance of the MAFs be fouled up by oil from the filter. Here are a couple of photos.

The following 4 users liked this post by Ubad2:
domino_z (02-01-2017), Dremorg (02-02-2017), JgaXkr (02-01-2017), Panthro (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi guys, I pulled the trigger with the cold air intake system. Package arrived today. Initial impressions, the shipment box was ultra sealed closed for safety measures. The contents in the box were insulated & protected, very safe packaging for the product. Inspecting the carbon fibre intake system, it's obvious that the quality is nothing less than top notch quality. Very impressive. The air filter is also of very high quality and it's a dry filter, not an oiled filter, so there's no chance of the MAFs be fouled up by oil from the filter. Here are a couple of photos.
I look forward to hearing your impressions with the intake installed.,
Lawrence

Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

this is great, def get back with impressions and a sound clip inside the car if you can swing it

Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

You should document the install for us. Unless you left them out of the photos, I see no mounting hardware of any kind, which is a concern. I imagine while those may be light, you wouldn't want them just hanging off of the intake, bouncing around over bumps...

Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

I can't wrap my head around how much that intake system is at retail price. For that amount I would expect Eventuri to use "dry-weave" carbon fiber which is lighter and stronger than "wet-weave".

And as others have mentioned, the filter system on the F-TYPE nestled in the bumper so no one will see the carbon fiber. I look forward to seeing your results regardless.

Quick Reply: Want your opinion, Eventuri intake...