Sponsored by:

Want your opinion, Eventuri intake...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default My thoughts ....

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I can't wrap my head around how much that intake system is at retail price. For that amount I would expect Eventuri to use "dry-weave" carbon fiber which is lighter and stronger than "wet-weave".

And as others have mentioned, the filter system on the F-TYPE nestled in the bumper so no one will see the carbon fiber. I look forward to seeing your results regardless.

Everyone knows the carbon fibre will not be " eye candy" for the engine bay. It's clearly a well built system, that's what it boils down too. If you persuing the eye candy factor, this is not for you. If your not willing to roll the rice and experiment, again, it's not for you. As an experiment, it well worth the attempt to improve on the stock CAI system .

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (02-09-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned
Default My thoughts ....

I can't wrap my head around how much that intake system is at retail price. For that amount I would expect Eventuri to use "dry-weave" carbon fiber which is lighter and stronger than "wet-weave".

And as others have mentioned, the filter system on the F-TYPE nestled in the bumper so no one will see the carbon fiber. I look forward to seeing your results regardless.

Everyone knows the carbon fibre will not be " eye candy" for the engine bay. It's clearly a well built system, that's what it boils down too. If you persuing the eye candy factor, this is not for you. If your not willing to roll the rice and experiment, again, it's not for you. As an experiment, it well worth the attempt to improve on the stock CAI system .

Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Installing any bolt-on power enhancers without a custom dyno tune or some kind of ECU tune is an exercise in futility.

You might get some power or some whoosh noises, but it will be minimal at best.

Just doesn't make sense to me why one would forego one essential piece of the puzzle. Warranty concerns?

Old 02-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Banned
Default Yes ...

Originally Posted by hoonery
Installing any bolt-on power enhancers without a custom dyno tune or some kind of ECU tune is an exercise in futility.

You might get some power or some whoosh noises, but it will be minimal at best.

Just doesn't make sense to me why one would forego one essential piece of the puzzle. Warranty concerns?
my car is a 2017 model and I don't want to play games with the factory warranty since the car is brand new. Even if the likelihood of something going wrong with software is a minimum, there still is a risk and if anything does happen I would be up a creek without a paddle with respect to repairing whatever damage occurs to the engine

Old 02-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Given the application, the cheap OEM thin wall plastic is plenty strong. nothing exotic needed.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Banned
Default Let's all calm down ....

Guys... Guys..... Guys......
no need to get worked up. Some of your are stating subtle negative remarks as if I spent and or waisted your coin. Believe me.... I got an offer one could not refuse. I got the Goomba hook up price !

The following 2 users liked this post by Ubad2:
Burt Gummer (02-03-2017), CaptainHam (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Guys... Guys..... Guys......
no need to get worked up. Some of your are stating subtle negative remarks as if I spent and or waisted your coin. Believe me.... I got an offer one could not refuse. I got the Goomba hook up price !
I wouldn't be too concerned with the 'neg's' and carry on.. I'm interested in the change in the sound assuming there will be some.

On their site they claim dyno tested h.p. increase, however I get the fact that you are simply trying out something different and the h.p. claims are likely a stretch.

Are you installing yourself ?

I added an 'oil can' to my R and had a mechanic friend do the install as he had to buy some extra parts/hose etc and it turned out to be a bit of a tougher job than he thought it would be.
Lawrence

Old 02-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Banned
Default Lawrence ....

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I wouldn't be too concerned with the 'neg's' and carry on.. I'm interested in the change in the sound assuming there will be some.

On their site they claim dyno tested h.p. increase, however I get the fact that you are simply trying out something different and the h.p. claims are likely a stretch.

Are you installing yourself ?

I added an 'oil can' to my R and had a mechanic friend do the install as he had to buy some extra parts/hose etc and it turned out to be a bit of a tougher job than he thought it would be.
Lawrence
I thought of doing before and after Dyno but there aren't any Dyno shops within a reasonable distance to me. Crazy right ... Especially due to the fact that I reside approx 30 minutes from NYC.
I will bring my car to the dealer for the intake install, and I also will have the tech change my brake discs. I purchased STOPTECH slotted & drilled discs for front and rear of car.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned
Default Stohlen ...

Originally Posted by Stohlen
You should document the install for us. Unless you left them out of the photos, I see no mounting hardware of any kind, which is a concern. I imagine while those may be light, you wouldn't want them just hanging off of the intake, bouncing around over bumps...

No bouncing... Nothing is loose. The intakes are held in place by brackets.

JgaXkr (02-09-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

I thought of doing before and after Dyno but there aren't any Dyno shops within a reasonable distance to me. Crazy right ... Especially due to the fact that I reside approx 30 minutes from NYC.
I will bring my car to the dealer for the intake install, and I also will have the tech change my brake discs. I purchased STOPTECH slotted & drilled discs for front and rear of car.
I'm actually surprised that the dealer would agree to install aftermarket equipment on your car. For liability and legal purposes, they will write up an RO with your requests and concerns. Once you pick up the car, they will close out the RO. Guess what..theres now an electronic document forever in the dealer's system documenting aftermarket modifications.

If there was ever an issue from a warranty/legal standpoint, that could cause grief for you and the dealer. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned
Default Understood ....

I'm actually surprised that the dealer would agree to install aftermarket equipment on your car. For liability and legal purposes, they will write up an RO with your requests and concerns. Once you pick up the car, they will close out the RO. Guess what..theres now an electronic document forever in the dealer's system documenting aftermarket modifications.

If there was ever an issue from a warranty/legal standpoint, that could cause grief for you and the dealer. Just my 2 cents.

Not worried at all because the discs are made in the USA by a quality aftermarket performance brake company. The intake is also of top quality. Software is another matter.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:02 PM

Not worried at all because the discs are made in the USA by a quality aftermarket performance brake company. The intake is also of top quality. Software is another matter.
I think you missed the point. Regardless who made them, its aftermarket.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned
Default Didn't miss a thing ....

I think you missed the point. Regardless who made them, its aftermarket.
Your preaching to someone who came from DINAN S3 supercharged M5 sedan. The car had the works! It had velocity stacks, air flow meter, headers, free flow exhaust, resonator delete, x pipe, cold air intake, supercharger, modified rear diff, upgraded JRZ race suspension and obviously Dinan software. DINAN backs everything they do to your car. I know what's safe and which mods are risky, when there's no gaurentee from the tuning outfit. Your on your own. My minor mods will not do anything harmful to the Vehicle.
That's the point.

Last edited by Ubad2; 02-02-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-02-2017, 07:31 PM

my car is a 2017 model and I don't want to play games with the factory warranty since the car is brand new. Even if the likelihood of something going wrong with software is a minimum, there still is a risk and if anything does happen I would be up a creek without a paddle with respect to repairing whatever damage occurs to the engine
I totally get it. It's just the way I rationalize it; if I'm spending ANY money on power, I want to know I'm maximizing it or else my money is sort of wasted. So I would take measures to minimize my risk.

For example: some catastrophic event happens? Okay. Uninstall aftermarket parts, re-install original tune. It's doubtful you'll get a second look at the service dept. They're not the FBI.

Is there the SLIGHTEST of odds that they'll do some serious digging to find out if you were playing with an aftermarket tune? I guess, but I'd pin it as very improbable.

People have a tendency to be more risk averse when we don't know the odds of something versus when we know the odds even if the odds we don't know are much more in our favor.

Anyway, that's just my thought on the matter. I have a '17 too and that's how I would do it if anyone actually made performance parts for the SVR.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM

It's actually how a lot of service departments make money. Customers demand something and don't care about cost. They have a relationship with dealer. They also probably feel that being open about it will negate the chances of botched warranty claim attempts. It makes sense in theory: make your service manager happy by bringing her money and she will look the other way. I'm not making this up. It's happened to me and I see it as good business, especially since it's incredibly unlikely that any bolt on exhaust or intake will cause any real damage; ergo it isn't fraudulent IMO.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Your preaching to someone who came from DINAN S3 supercharged M5 sedan. The car had the works! It had velocity stacks, air flow meter, headers, free flow exhaust, resonator delete, x pipe, cold air intake, supercharger, modified rear diff, upgraded JRZ race suspension and obviously Dinan software. DINAN backs everything they do to your car. I know what's safe and which mods are risky, when there's no gaurentee from the tuning outfit. Your on your own. My minor mods will not do anything harmful to the Vehicle.
That's the point.
Great. Thats Dinan. Look I'm not picking a fight here. I never bashed you on your intake of choice. I even mentioned that I looked forward to your results. I know how the JLR process works. Lets just say for whatever reason your car throws a CEL. First thing that JLR will ask the dealer is the car modded? These cars are unbelievably intolerant from an electronics and software standpoint. I've monkeyed around with the OEM software using SDD to try to load an "S" tune into a base car. That was the worst 3 hours of my life and nearly risked bricking the ECM. I never claimed that your intake would throw a CEL.

Considering how there is a lack of aftermarket support for our cars, I'm actually very excited to see people mod there cars using the few parts that available. But we also must be mindful that most dealers and their support teams are pretty quick to blame anything non OEM. There was another thread where a member stated that his local dealer in Florida offered to do pulley upgrades and tunes while keeping the factory warranty. Most including myself commented that unless it was a dealer backed warranty, JLR would will not support that. And guess what..a couple of days later that member stated that somehow JLR got wind of that thread and contacted that dealer's management team. Now an intake is nowhere near as complex as a tune and or pulley, but nonetheless the car is/will be modded.

As I stated before...good luck to you and I look forward to seeing your results.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 02-02-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by hoonery
I totally get it. It's just the way I rationalize it; if I'm spending ANY money on power, I want to know I'm maximizing it or else my money is sort of wasted. So I would take measures to minimize my risk.

For example: some catastrophic event happens? Okay. Uninstall aftermarket parts, re-install original tune. It's doubtful you'll get a second look at the service dept. They're not the FBI.

Is there the SLIGHTEST of odds that they'll do some serious digging to find out if you were playing with an aftermarket tune? I guess, but I'd pin it as very improbable.

People have a tendency to be more risk averse when we don't know the odds of something versus when we know the odds even if the odds we don't know are much more in our favor.

Anyway, that's just my thought on the matter. I have a '17 too and that's how I would do it if anyone actually made performance parts for the SVR.
When there is a case of a failed engine...there are a few things that can be checked. There is a "flash" counter. Basically it logs how many times the ECM has been flashed compared to what JLR has on file. While this isn't the most accurate way (no internet connection for example) to upload to JLR, if the flash counter is significantly out of sync to what JLR thinks you should have that can raise a few eyebrows. Worst case, the ECM can also be sent to corporate where the ECM can be analyzed in depth. VelocityAP will probably be able clarify if reverting back to the stock tune will restore the count it was it at. Will they go through that much trouble? I'm not sure. Maybe if you've had a history warranty claims...

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 02-02-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Banned
Default I agree with your post ...

Great. Thats Dinan. Look I'm not picking a fight here. I never bashed you on your intake of choice. I even mentioned that I looked forward to your results. I know how the JLR process works. Lets just say for whatever reason your car throws a CEL. First thing that JLR will ask the dealer is the car modded? These cars are unbelievably intolerant from an electronics and software standpoint. I've monkeyed around with the OEM software using SDD to try to load an "S" tune into a base car. That was the worst 3 hours of my life and nearly risked bricking the ECM. I never claimed that your intake would throw a CEL.

Considering how there is a lack of aftermarket support for our cars, I'm actually very excited to see people mod there cars using the few parts that available. But we also must be mindful that most dealers and their support teams are pretty quick to blame anything non OEM. There was another thread where a member stated that his local dealer in Florida offered to do pulley upgrades and tunes while keeping the factory warranty. Most including myself commented that unless it was a dealer backed warranty, JLR would will not support that. And guess what..a couple of days later that member stated that somehow JLR got wind of that thread and contacted that dealer's management team. Now an intake is nowhere near as complex as a tune and or pulley, but nonetheless the car is/will be modded.

As I stated before...good luck to you and I look forward to seeing your results.
In order to play it safe, this is the extent of my modding, intake and slotted & drilled brake discs. Doing these two things, I'm not pushing the envelope to the point of highly probable regret, if no one can gaurentee any of the limited mods out there for our cars I will not risk getting jammed up with JLR over a warrenty issue. The only risk with the intake is possible water ingestion. But I'm not worried about that because I only take the car out on dry clear sunny days. Plus, the intake is sealed up good behind the bumper. I'd have to drive through a super deep puddle for the intake to suck up the water. That will never happen as long as I'm behind the wheel.
i contacted DINAN, as I am a previous customer and asked if they would consider modding the F Type. The answer I got was, they are under the impression there wouldn't be enough demand to start a new line of car mods for the Jaguar brand.
Too bad...
My previous BMW M5 was supercharged and flawless as if it came directly from BMW ///M division. And fully gaurenteeed !

Last edited by Ubad2; 02-03-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-03-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

About two years ago the mechanic at my dealer showed me a v-8 engine that had a hole in the block as the engine threw a rod. Customer said the he was driving along and the engine just blew.

By reviewing the computer read out, the mechanic was able to ascertain that the customer went away over red line on 'decel' and this blew the engine. Jaguar decided to replace the engine on warranty anyway, even though they did not have to; as he was a loyal customer over time etc. etc..

Anyway, you could not count on Jaguar ignoring mod's, however this is just one instance when they have been very reasonable.

If I seriously modify my engine, I need to know that I can afford to step up and replace it, in case Jaguar turns down a warranty claim. Although, personally, I would not be concerned with an intake modification.
Lawrence

Old 02-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts

I have spoken with my service guy numerous times about mods done and mods we will be doing and he seemed very ok with it.

His response was "Glad to see people using these cars like they should be used and unless the mod directly causes the failure, we will warranty it".

He said the Tune should not damage anything and he does not care.

I would go to your local dealer and talk to an adviser if you're that worried about it.

I have tuned every vehicle I've ever owned (Numerous sports cars and a couple of diesel trucks where we did DPF/EGR deletes) and have never had a warranty issue.

I had a 3500 Dodge that was tuned and deleted and it blew up the tranny on the drag strip and dodge still replaced it.

I think it's more about the relationship than anything else.

hoonery (02-03-2017)

Quick Reply: Want your opinion, Eventuri intake...