F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning lights on hot days in sun.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 07:42 PM
EdG
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Warning lights on hot days in sun.

Looking for expert advice on my 2016 V6S convertible that I have owned for 2 years. I only drive car on nice days when I can get some good backroad time with top down, otherwise in my garage. On 3 different occasions, after being in sun with top up on a pretty hot day, ~85 F or above, car above 100 when I get in, I've had some odd warning lights. Twice I've had an airbag warning, the air bag light as if there is a problem with it. Yesterday after being in the sun, I had an odd issue where the top would not go up or down, after working fine at the start of the drive. Without pressing roof switch, the car would make a ding sound and say roof latched, but then as I would drive I would get a quick warning that I was going too fast put the top down even though I was not trying to put the top down. I tried to get see my alerts in the menu section but couldn't. The warnings happened so fast, I could not get to warning menu as the menus would reset with each new warning.

All issues have resolved after sitting overnight again in my garage. I doubt the dealer can do anything about it since everything is better now (still under warranty). I assumed there was a slightly suspect air bag connection/relay that was heat sensitive since I've had that issue twice. But with the roof, it could mean a wider issue. However, I have no idea what it could be since I assume the air bag electronics are separate from roof mechanisms.

These issues do not happen every time in the hot sun.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:57 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Do you keep the car on a battery maintainer in the garage? If not, I'd suspect the battery as the first point of investigation, at least to eliminate it - these cars are very sensitive ot low battery voltages which can give rise to weird "faults".

Old 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM
EdG

Originally Posted by scm
Do you keep the car on a battery maintainer in the garage? If not, I'd suspect the battery as the first point of investigation, at least to eliminate it - these cars are very sensitive ot low battery voltages which can give rise to weird "faults".
Battery is less than a year old and I had driven it 90 minutes before it sat for 3 hours in the sun. I never get these issues after sitting for a week, only after driving it for at least 45 minutes and sitting in the sun. (It's not a battery issue this time.)

Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 PM
EdG

Finally, got my OBD2 sensor connected. No warnings found.