F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty denied

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Warranty denied

Just dropped my 17' R with 9200 miles off at White Plains Jaguar for service and a few warranty items yesterday. Items included, buzzing from behind the passenger seat, leather coming off the dash above the instrument pod and at the base of the center channel speaker, small bubble in the leather at the top of the passenger door panel, crazing on the headlight housings. Got this email form my services adviser,

Good Afternoon Michael,

My apologies it has taken longer to respond. My service manager had gotten involved with your vehicle. Unfortunately Jaguar has deemed it not warrantable for anything due to aftermarket items (ex: road wheels and suspension springs). Please advise how you would like me to continue.

Edgar

Old 10-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

What the heck? May want to mention the Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act to them - hard to imagine a connection between wheels and springs and your warranty items.....

The following 2 users liked this post by Chawumba:
Brutal (10-11-2019), Paul_59 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:00 PM
rj3
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe to void the warranty there has to be proof that the aftermarket modifications are the cause for the issues you brought the vehicle in for

The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Disgraceful.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:13 PM

On the phone with JLR North America now trying to get this sorted out.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I've heard of "fit and finish" only being covered for 5000 miles. That probably wouldn't apply to the rattles, but the leather - dunno.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

White plains jaguar - there is your problem right there. I got so annoyed at them that I sold my first jaguar. No joke. They tried to deny a warranty on cracked headlight tabs, a known XF issue at the time. Told me the car might have been in an accident. I told them to look at the car, it was pretty obvious that wasn’t the case. They ultimately good willed it as a one time thing. Both dealers in lower westchester are terrible. Larchmont is marginally better. In one experience, one of the two service advisors spent 17 minutes, I timed it, disassembling and reassembling a stapler while a line of people waited. Must have been a critical piece of equipment. In another, the hood of my f-type wouldn’t latch. They told me to bring the car in and they would look at it. I get there and they tell me they were mistaken and the only f type mechanic wasn’t there that day. Nobody else could look at it apparently. I opened the hood, figured out the problem and adjusted the bump stop in the parking lot. I’ve got more stories about Great Neck too. Cars are great, dealers around here suck.

I have heard good things about Darien and Hartford.

RickyJay52 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Wow -- that's ridiculous. But I'm also not surprised. Keep on posted on what North American says...

Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Hartford was not great in my experience, waited weeks for my appointments, then upon arrival i am told i will have to come back weeks later. Ended up at Sudbury MA, my service manager Rob Wendler was great! Also i would have recommended Scarborough Maine over all of them but i hear there has been management changes and maybe not as solid as before. Jaguar as a brand suffers largely due to the local dealers being sooo hit or miss.

F-Toype (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
Hartford was not great in my experience, waited weeks for my appointments, then upon arrival i am told i will have to come back weeks later. Ended up at Sudbury MA, my service manager Rob Wendler was great! Also i would have recommended Scarborough Maine over all of them but i hear there has been management changes and maybe not as solid as before. Jaguar as a brand suffers largely due to the local dealers being sooo hit or miss.
1) Denying that warranty work is one word: LAME.
2) My good friend ITISMEJOSHY is right that there have been management changes at Scarborough Jaguar/Land Rover...in the Sales Department. Our dear friend GM Mike O’Rourke has moved on—and continues to be a dear friend—but I can assure anyone and everyone that the Service Department, led by Dan Babb, is still outstanding. “My” usual mechanic RAF is top-notch and I cannot recommend them, or he, more highly.
3) Clearly, find another dealer!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-09-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Itismejoshy (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm not sure why the dealer would care... If JaguarUSA will pay for the warranty work, the dealership 'should' be happy to work on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mahjik:
Paul_59 (10-10-2019), RickyJay52 (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
What the heck? May want to mention the Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act to them - hard to imagine a connection between wheels and springs and your warranty items.....
My reaction exactly. Unless there is Upstate NY somewhere else other than US.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
I'm not sure why the dealer would care... If JaguarUSA will pay for the warranty work, the dealership 'should' be happy to work on it.
Dealers are paid fixed fee by JLR for each warranty item. In most circumstances this is lower than posted shop rate. They also don't get to up-charge on parts when it is warranty work, as JLR just sends them necessary parts. As a result, it is less profitable than doing oil changes and similar work. Consequently, sleazy and busy dealers would invent reasons to deny warranty work.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Dealers are paid fixed fee by JLR for each warranty item. In most circumstances this is lower than posted shop rate. They also don't get to up-charge on parts. As a result, it is less profitable than doing oil changes and similar work. Consequently, sleazy and busy dealers would invent reasons to deny warranty work.
They have fixed rates for everything (at least with upper tier manufacturers). Warranty doesn't change that. Shop time is shop time and is a fix rate for them. That's just a dealer wanting to do smaller jobs in their shop as the more cars they get in and out of their bays, the more money they make.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Default Update

Well,
After starting a claim with JLR yesterday regarding the denial of warranty service I was told I would be contacted by JLRNA today after they had a chance to reach out to the dealer. Clock approaching 5pm and the phone had not rung from either the dealer or JLRNA. Wife calls JLR once again, they look up the claim and say they reached out to the dealer but no one was available to speak to them at the time (In a meeting or something) they said they would try back tomorrow. I call the dealer to speak to the service adviser to see if I can get any info (sent an email earlier in the day with no response) and of course he had just left. They asked if I wanted to leave my number so that he could call me back and i told them little good that would do as we had the same dance yesterday and no call back. They said they would try him on his cell and put me on hold. 15 minutes later.....
My wife finds out from JLR the name of the service manager at the dealership and calls White Plains Jag and actually gets him on the phone. This is where it gets interesting, turns out the refusal of warranty is not because of the wheels/springs but due to the fact that the car was a manufacturer buy back!! I purchased the car though Manhiem auto auction, as far as I knew the car was off lease and represented as a 5.0 condition vehicle with no issues what so ever.
The dealer service manager dug up as much info as he could while we were on the phone pulling the carfax and whatever else he could find. He was surprised as well as the carfax is clean with no buy back shown. As far as he could tell there was an electrical issue with a front right impact sensor that was causing issues with the seat belt pre-tensioners or something to that effect. The original owner must have complained enough that the took him out of the lease and put him in another car. The car was then I assume repaired and sent to auction, this is the point where I'm told in this case the warranty is punched and no longer in force or the complimentary service.
At this point I fully understand the situation and tell him I will come by tomorrow to pick up the car.
My wife then demands that she talk to him (about what I have no idea, she was not around for our conversation so as far as I know she is still in combat mode), she takes the phone in the other room and i go about my business. Few minutes later I walk into the room to hear them chatting back and fourth about personal medical issues the service manager is dealing with, I leave the room.
Next thing I know the wife comes in with the phone and says the SM wants to talk to me, I take the phone and he says, "your wife shared some personal information with me" , I say OK... "she told me you are battling stage 4 cancer,... so am I". A little chit chat back and fourth between us about our battles and then he tells me this. "I'm going to ask that you give me one more day with this situation. I'm personal friends with the presedent of JLRNA and I'm going to call him on my way home tonight,... I'm going to take care of this for you, I want to make your car perfect for you"

Finally a situation where having cancer is a good thing!!

I'll let you guys know how it all works out.

The following 4 users liked this post by mikelr:
Arne (10-10-2019), Carbuff2 (10-09-2019), Mahjik (10-09-2019), RichardCranium (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Best of luck!

Originally Posted by mikelr
Well,
After starting a claim with JLR yesterday regarding the denial of warranty service I was told I would be contacted by JLRNA today after they had a chance to reach out to the dealer. Clock approaching 5pm and the phone had not rung from either the dealer or JLRNA. Wife calls JLR once again, they look up the claim and say they reached out to the dealer but no one was available to speak to them at the time (In a meeting or something) they said they would try back tomorrow. I call the dealer to speak to the service adviser to see if I can get any info (sent an email earlier in the day with no response) and of course he had just left. They asked if I wanted to leave my number so that he could call me back and i told them little good that would do as we had the same dance yesterday and no call back. They said they would try him on his cell and put me on hold. 15 minutes later.....
My wife finds out from JLR the name of the service manager at the dealership and calls White Plains Jag and actually gets him on the phone. This is where it gets interesting, turns out the refusal of warranty is not because of the wheels/springs but due to the fact that the car was a manufacturer buy back!! I purchased the car though Manhiem auto auction, as far as I knew the car was off lease and represented as a 5.0 condition vehicle with no issues what so ever.
The dealer service manager dug up as much info as he could while we were on the phone pulling the carfax and whatever else he could find. He was surprised as well as the carfax is clean with no buy back shown. As far as he could tell there was an electrical issue with a front right impact sensor that was causing issues with the seat belt pre-tensioners or something to that effect. The original owner must have complained enough that the took him out of the lease and put him in another car. The car was then I assume repaired and sent to auction, this is the point where I'm told in this case the warranty is punched and no longer in force or the complimentary service.
At this point I fully understand the situation and tell him I will come by tomorrow to pick up the car.
My wife then demands that she talk to him (about what I have no idea, she was not around for our conversation so as far as I know she is still in combat mode), she takes the phone in the other room and i go about my business. Few minutes later I walk into the room to hear them chatting back and fourth about personal medical issues the service manager is dealing with, I leave the room.
Next thing I know the wife comes in with the phone and says the SM wants to talk to me, I take the phone and he says, "your wife shared some personal information with me" , I say OK... "she told me you are battling stage 4 cancer,... so am I". A little chit chat back and fourth between us about our battles and then he tells me this. "I'm going to ask that you give me one more day with this situation. I'm personal friends with the presedent of JLRNA and I'm going to call him on my way home tonight,... I'm going to take care of this for you, I want to make your car perfect for you"

Finally a situation where having cancer is a good thing!!

I'll let you guys know how it all works out.
Devastating news and while its a shame that a terminal
disease was the only way you could get good service, I hope they make it right and wish you the best in your fight. Go get’em!

The following 2 users liked this post by gg2684:
Mbourne (10-12-2019), Paul_59 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Best of luck on all counts.

Paul_59 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Kinda puts everything—and I mean every single thing—in perspective.

Sending positive energy and good wishes your way. Today and everyday.

Best regards,
RJ52

Paul_59 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:52 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Best wishes Mikelr from UK

Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd