F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To warranty, or not to warranty? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To warranty, or not to warranty? That is the question.

lol My warranty will expire in July due to time, not mileage. Has 35k on the clock right now. One owner and in great shape. I only drive it on the weekends, but I imagine I will take it to a drag strip here & there. Who of you bought extended warranties and who decided to go it solo? The service guy informed that that the cars are very reliable, but this is my first Jag. Do you guys recommend going with a warranty, or taking my chances?

Mod wise, I will only add the tune and crank pulley and that's it. I'm puttin' out the ".02c" bucket, so please feel free.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I am considering opting to not go for extended warranty, but my worry is if one of the ECUs, dash display or stereo goes South, it could cost a bundle to fix. Then again it cost me $25K to keep my 1995 Ferrari F355 happy for 5 years of ownership.

The following users liked this post:
Dan's cat (05-14-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I plan on keeping mine for my lifespan. I will let the warranty run out and pay to play as needed.
The depreciation on a new car is far more than repairs on an older car; specially with Jags.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Third-party extended warranties are a scam, they are designed to exclude about anything via fine print and are not worthwhile.

Manufacturer's extended warranties are good investment on an otherwise unreliable car. If F-type is unreliable long-term, we simply don't yet know.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

They don't sell long term warranties to lose money. You can only go by first 4 years to decide. My '14 is 9/13 and has only had oxygen sensor and updates. Very low mileage, 12,800 but all city. If a 2 year extension is $3200 I'll pass. It only costs dealer $1900 to certify for 2 years, so $2k would be a good price. Also had paint chip problem but that is a service bulleton separate from warranty.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I'm in a similar situation- 33K miles, warranty expires next month. I'll ask for a quote on extended warranty, but don't expect to get one.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Here is my financial mind at work. Assumptions:

Car is paid off in 5 years or less
Every month I put $100.00 to the side
End of 12 months that is $1200.00, and end of 5 years that is $6000.00
Instead of giving the money to a warranty co., it is sitting in some account/Mine
If nothing goes wrong.....I am covered for just about anything except "motor".

I just think that giving money to a warranty co., is insurance
Keeping your money, I am the insurer and if nothing happens, my $ is mine
If something happens, I limit the pain with my money, praying that my assumption of $6K is a good one, i.e. expense of $6K or less. Anything more...oh well!

Just a scenario of many.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I'm in a similar situation- 33K miles, warranty expires next month. I'll ask for a quote on extended warranty, but don't expect to get one.
Check out the extended warranties offered through AAA. I was subjected to no loopholes on the my MINI, and it's heavily modded. The warranty did more than pay for itself with all the electronic failures. It, however, did become too expensive after year eight relative to the value of the car.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=slojotaa;1681438]Here is my financial mind at work. Assumptions:

Car is paid off in 5 years or less
Every month I put $100.00 to the side
End of 12 months that is $1200.00, and end of 5 years that is $6000.00
Instead of giving the money to a warranty co., it is sitting in some account/Mine
QUOTE]

I did that for my F355... had at least $5K a year in the 'what if it breaks' account. If I didn't it would be like the many neglected F355 on eBay.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I went ahead and purchased a Jaguar Vehicle Protection Plan through my local Jag dealer; it provides a 4-year, 75,000 mile extended warranty. It is still a third party policy but I only deal with Jaguar and have the guarantee of only using new OEM parts and Jaguar certified and experienced technicians. Also, it gets integrated with my maintenance and service schedules at Jaguar so every component of my service, warranty, and parts installed is fully documented.

My policy also has a low deductible that is honored at any Jag dealership. I just like the personal service I know I will get without hassle and logistics of dealing through a third party administrator myself. I only have 5700 miles on the car and a few months left on the factory warranty, and I like to think that there is a low probability of a major system failure, but the peace of mind I get is worth it to me since the F-Type does not have long proven history quite yet and I am still quite unfamiliar with both Jaguar and the car.

I paid the warranty in full up front, but even still it equates to only $66/month for the added peace of mind once the factory warranty expires. That is pretty reasonable to me.

Edit; I haven't polled my dealer yet, but I would think adding a tune would void your extended warranty so probably not worth investing in one. I am going to ask my dealer about their tolerance with a tune (within factory output specs for the SVR) as I really want one too. If they tell me that I better not do it, I will wait until I am ready to trade it in on a higher spec model...lol.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 05-12-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My factory warranty is expiring next month as well but it's a CPO so there's another 2 years of coverage there. That said, if you read the details on the CPO warranty there are a lot of exclusions, it essentially amounts to a powertrain warranty.

Unfortunately I've racked up about 6k in warranty repairs since purchasing the car. Based on the descriptions in the CPO manual I don't think a single one of these issues would be covered under that policy. My biggest concern is that the stuff that does go wrong with these cars isn't generally covered under any warranty anyways and the parts that are covered are proving to be pretty reliable so far.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pbad
My factory warranty is expiring next month as well but it's a CPO so there's another 2 years of coverage there. That said, if you read the details on the CPO warranty there are a lot of exclusions, it essentially amounts to a powertrain warranty.

Unfortunately I've racked up about 6k in warranty repairs since purchasing the car. Based on the descriptions in the CPO manual I don't think a single one of these issues would be covered under that policy. My biggest concern is that the stuff that does go wrong with these cars isn't generally covered under any warranty anyways and the parts that are covered are proving to be pretty reliable so far.
What made up the majority of your $6K in warranty repairs?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
What made up the majority of your $6K in warranty repairs?
The big ticket items were the passenger seat coming apart at the seams so they replaced the entire seat back cover, a squeak in the exhaust in which they replaced the entire muffler assembly, and the text wearing off on the shift lever in which they replace that entire item as well.

The smaller things have been wear on the coat hooks-replaced, rattle from dash area-actually the passenger hood latch coming loose and they adjusted, couple of O2 sensors, failed headlamp bulb-replaced, the stereo still sounds awful but I lost patience trying to get them to do anything about it.

So you could argue those bigger items could probably be fixed for less if you had to and none of them really impacted driveability. They're still disconcerting nonetheless. The exhaust problem is a known issue and is said to be related to a weak design in the active exhaust springs, is that going to recur at some point? Or is the driver seat going to experience the same issue some time in the near future?

These things shouldn't really happen on any new car let alone one in this price range. It's kinda sad that my 14 year old Lexus RX with 170k on the clock has fewer squeaks and rattles than my 4 year old Jag but oh well. The F-Type is like a puppy that eats your shoe, I just can't stay mad at it.

The following users liked this post:
Desert Dawg (05-12-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the responses! The car I bought was supposed to be certified pre-owned, but they didn't certify/ extend the warranty for me after all. Maybe because it wasn't a Jag dealership? Anyway, if I can buy a two year from the dealership, I may do that.