F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 09:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Warranty Surprise

I purchased my 2016 F-Type S convertible new in March 2017. The vehicle had been on the dealership’s lot for over a year. I’m guessing the manual transmission was a “no go” for most shoppers. When I purchased the vehicle, it had 182 miles on the odometer. I took the vehicle in for service this week and I am being told the vehicle is no longer in it’s warranty period. Apparently, the dealership put the vehicle “in service” in July 2015 which started it’s warranty period. I’ve never heard of this situation before and there is nothing on my sales records indicating 20 months of warranty was past when I purchased the vehicle new. I have bought many new vehicles, multiple from this same dealership and have never encountered this situation. Do I have any recourse in attempting to have the warranty extended from my purchase date or is this just a “lesson learned” situation to never get caught by this again?

Old 11-04-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought the clock started ticking once the vehicle was titled by the first buyer. If its not, it should be. You should be good til march 2022. I would be taking that one to court.

Last edited by 19FRG; 11-04-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:40 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Dealers punch in-service dates on cars all the time. This is to take advantage of factory incentives at that time.
They should have told you that the cars warranty had started on the date it was put in-service. I would ask for a extended warranty paid for by the dealer.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 259 Likes on 149 Posts

Check you purchase invoice, if it says "USED" or has an in service date. I am pretty sure that the dealer did as Noshame has indicated then it should have been invoiced as a USED car.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:24 PM

19FRG, This was always my thought too until this situation occurred. Internet searching has educated me on watching for “in service” date warranty situations for new vehicles. I wish I had known this back in March 2017. My sales documentation is marked “new” vehicle purchase on both the bill of sale and title application. There is no mention of “in service” date that I can find. I have yet to talk with the sales manager. Communication with service personnel so far is that they have “submitted the repair to Jaguar Corporate” as a warranty claim and waiting to hear back. I am expecting to hear the request is being denied. I’ll wait until I get information back before contacting the sales manager.

Last edited by jim2; 11-04-2020 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 11-04-2020, 12:52 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

You mean you didn't get junk mail and daily robocalls telling you your warranty is about to expire?
/s

The following users liked this post:
JagGuardian (11-06-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If the car was sold as new but the warranty was already punched, you have a case that it was misrepresented. At the very least, you should request that dealer pay for all work between expired warranty vs. expected expired warranty.

JacksonvilleJag (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

SinF presents the best argument in my opinion. I bought my car "new" but the warranty had started. I was aware of it and dealership even offered to CPO the car to extend the warranty. Lack of disclosure is the key to winning this argument. I was aware of the practice from the good members of this forum before I bought my car and asked the question when I was shopping as it would like be sold at a lower price than others. I don't know technically if you can call it a "used" car. I expect that is a legal term defined on a state by state basis. Hope you can get it resolved.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

It's not used - it's still a new car and you are the first owner. But the car was put 'in service' before you got it and that runs down the warranty. This happened to someone else on here in the past year or so - search around. If I remember correctly the dealer gave them a year of extended warranty coverage to make them whole. It wasn't a big fight
I'd have thought your dealer would work with you on this if they are reasonable.
If not, then escalate to Jag North America
If a car has a 5 yr warranty it's reasonable to assume that starts the day you buy it unless they tell you otherwise!

Old 11-04-2020, 11:10 PM
Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
It's not used - it's still a new car and you are the first owner. But the car was put 'in service' before you got it and that runs down the warranty. This happened to someone else on here in the past year or so - search around. If I remember correctly the dealer gave them a year of extended warranty coverage to make them whole. It wasn't a big fight
I'd have thought your dealer would work with you on this if they are reasonable.
If not, then escalate to Jag North America
If a car has a 5 yr warranty it's reasonable to assume that starts the day you buy it unless they tell you otherwise!
i doubt you were referring to me but it did happen to me almost exactly a year ago. they had "punched" my car about a month before i bought it. it was "new", but "in service" and the warranty had started to run. i knew to ask about it because i had seen the issue discussed here. i agree that disclosure by the dealer is the key.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:18 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Yep. This exact thing happened to me when I bought my 2017 in May 2018 from out of state Jag dealer.
Got home, called Jaguar USA next day to confirm my the exact dates to plan for annual service. Shocked to find out that it's in Jan, since it's already been "in service" or "punched" in Jan 2017, so warranty & services ends in Jan 2022. Although it's sold to me as a brand new car, with less than 100 miles on odo.
I called back Sales Manager to complain. He gave me BS answers like your salesman should've told you & that's why you got almost $30K off...etc.
I retorted back to him that I was sold a brand new car, with full 5 years of factory warranty & annual services, which supposed to go to May 2023, & will complain to Jag USA, BBB, local authorities, social media, etc...
He finally relented & gave me extra 2+ years (from punched date) full extended Jag factory warranty & annual services to May 2024. Got email confirm & factory paperwork later that day.

The following 4 users liked this post by NavyBlue:
Aarcuda (11-05-2020), Carbuff2 (11-05-2020), JacksonvilleJag (11-05-2020), WayneB (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think car dealers and manufacturers are really a stupid lot. I purchased my "14" F-Type with CPO warranty. I didn't and don't drive the car much as it is stored from November until April in my cold climate. I still have under 14,000 miles on it. Anyway, a month or two out of warranty that silly center vent on the dash which retracts when the a/c or heat is turned off stop working. So, I did my studies and found that that part was defective from the get go. So, the dealers were informed to check them at the time of the new car sale. If they worked, that was the end of the problem for them unless they came back under warranty. So, my $85,000 F-Type center vent went out just outside the warranty period like they always do. I sent a letter to Jag North America and indicated that I thought all the cars should have that defective part replaced as a recall. They never had the courtesy to reply to my request. In the meantime, my dealer has been pestering me to buy a new Jag or Land Rover. I would have previously considered that but not now. Dealerships and manufacturers don't realize once you have lost a customer it's hard to get them back. In this case I blame the manufacturer more than the dealer but the end result is the same.

Aarcuda (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 372 Posts

I would be pissed as hell to find out my new car had most of his warranty eaten up sitting on the showroom floor and I wasn’t told prior to purchase. That definitely sounds like fraud to me because we all expect for a new car to have a brand new full factory warranty when we drove off the lot and I had no idea until I read his post that potentially buying last year‘s model as a new car might have part of this warranty expired. I hope I can remember this In the event I have to buy another new car

Old 11-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny you should post this, I bought a manual 2016 F Type S Coupe with 4000 miles on the clock 3 years ago and the Jaguar dealer I bought it from offered the pre-owned warranty that covers 7 years from the "in service" date. The "in service" date can be a year before the actual model year, this is something to check always even if you are buying a current model year car. I am surprised though that you are not covered by Jaguar's pre-owned warranty, it is pretty extensive

Old 11-05-2020, 11:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by bcjagman66
The "in service" date can be a year before the actual model year ...
That's because new model year cars start being built around March of the preceding calendar year, my MY18 was built 25 March 2017 and sold on the 5 April 2017, so the 3 year (UK) warranty started when the car was bought.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don’t get satisfaction from dealer quickly, go around the them. Your warranty should start from date of purchase.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got a call from the dealership this morning saying the damage to the convertible liner (6 inch rip due to flap behind driver’s seat catching liner as the top was being opened (second time this has occurred)) will be covered under warranty. I am going to wait until the liner is replaced to address the overall warranty situation with the dealership.
As bcjagman66 stated above, if the vehicle had been sold as a used CPO model rather than new, I would have gotten an even better warranty. I’ll use this as part of my rationale for getting more warranty when I talk with the sales manager.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think dealer can CPO your car. They usually charge 4-5K to do so. You can ask them to do it for free.

Old 11-06-2020, 03:28 PM
Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Warranty

After reading this thread I was curious as to my own new car warranty and CPO warranty expiration dates and in service date. I called JLR corporate and gave them my vin number to verify expiration dates. They were different from what I received from the dealer, I gained about 42 days on both warranties. They also included corrosion warranty expiration date, paint warranty, and emissions dates. I would recommend everyone to call JLR corporate and check for their own warranty expiration dates. He didn't mention the in service date but I don't think it matters as he had all warranty expiration dates. I purchased my 16 f type s last August with 30,000 miles.
Frank hudson valley ny

Sparky H (11-10-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 04:39 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Noshame
Dealers punch in-service dates on cars all the time. This is to take advantage of factory incentives at that time.
They should have told you that the cars warranty had started on the date it was put in-service. I would ask for a extended warranty paid for by the dealer.
This is absolutely correct. I purchased a car under similar circumstances, but they were fully disclosed. If you don't get satisfaction, I would call the Consumer Fraud Section of your Attorney General's office. Most AGs like chasing car dealers because it rings a responsive chord with the voters.

Quick Reply: Warranty Surprise