Sponsored by:

"Watch JR Go" F-Type salvage series on Youtube

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 02:34 AM
Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts
Default "Watch JR Go" F-Type salvage series on Youtube

I'd never seen this channel before, but came across this video the other day:

Seems like he's posting regular updates:

Figured I'd share in case anyone else is interested in following.

The following 4 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
Mbourne (07-24-2022), Rondog (07-23-2022), SVR 575 (07-24-2022), woohoo (07-24-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Sad to see ANY vehicle treated like this buy previous owner/seller, esp. an F-Type. I hope he got a great deal, because He will be putting a lot of time/money in the recovery. Brave man.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I’ve watched him for probably about two years now. I think he does a generally good job of repairing vehicles, showing you how it’s done, and getting them back on the road and out the door. He has a wide range of projects.

He seems to be fairly knowledgeable on more common cars.

Old 07-24-2022, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

I just checked 'Amazon' for the 'Carly' diagnostic tool. Found several tools, but none were 'Carly'. Anyone else find it?

Old 07-24-2022, 08:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I watched the video yesterday. The best part was when he tried to remove the hood by himself and got trapped under it. The guy needs a helper !
But seriously, it really illustrates just how complicated cars are these days. I wish him success on what is going to be a very labor intensive job.

I really like the YouTube videos by a Canadian gentleman named Richard Michael Owen. He restores early XK-120's and XKE's. The difference under the hood on cars from those eras and the cars of today is stunning.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:16 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I just checked 'Amazon' for the 'Carly' diagnostic tool. Found several tools, but none were 'Carly'. Anyone else find it?
Try:

https://www.mycarly.com/

Old 07-24-2022, 12:50 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Someone noted in the video comments that the Carly thing is subscription-based. I dunno whether that's good or bad but depending how they do it, it could become expensive over time. Instead, I bought a physical product that doesn't have ongoing expenses.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

here is the latest one.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
Seen 'em all including that last one.
He seems convinced it's a cracked/blown/leaking head gasket or maybe a cracked head or block and he keeps saying it is a common problem on the F-Type.
I have no idea where he gets this idea as I can't recall a single report of this on the AJ133 or AJ126 across the numerous Jag and F-Type forums I follow,
Yes the symptoms and especially the chocolate milkshake oil point to a blown head gasket so it will be interesting to see what he discovers once he figures out how to get the engine out and strip it down.
He also makes the age old mistake of talking about Ford this and Ford that.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbsj
Got it, Thx.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Seen 'em all including that last one.
He seems convinced it's a cracked/blown/leaking head gasket or maybe a cracked head or block and he keeps saying it is a common problem on the F-Type.
I have no idea where he gets this idea as I can't recall a single report of this on the AJ133 or AJ126 across the numerous Jag and F-Type forums I follow,
Yes the symptoms and especially the chocolate milkshake oil point to a blown head gasket so it will be interesting to see what he discovers once he figures out how to get the engine out and strip it down.
He also makes the age old mistake of talking about Ford this and Ford that.
+1. He seems to base these opinions on reply’s in YouTube from posters that may or may not be real Jag techs or don’t really know the history of those engine. My long time tech has repeatedly told me that JLR worked the vast majority of the bugs out of the AJ more than 10 years ago, other than the collect pipes which came later. I do like the fact that he is trying to get this cat back on the road so I hopes he finds it as a gasket issue and if the head is cracked why it cracked rather that the old “jags are unreliable” canard.

The following users liked this post:
scm (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 07:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

It's pretty painful watching him take off the bonnet.
I work on my F-Type and appreciate how clean it is underneath.
That F Type has been so abused.
Did you see the text in his video , something about LS swapping it?
Following this series of videos with interest.
Horror and wonder all in one.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:48 AM
Old 07-28-2022, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I wish he would do a little more research before diving in or posting these vids.
Constant references to Ford this and Ford that implying that it's a Ford engine or even that the whole car was built by Ford, wrong on both counts.
No idea about the SC until right to the end when he correctly says it is an Eaton TVS R1320.
No clues about the Symposer.
Comments that it "looks like a cut down V8" when to a degree that is exactly what it is.
Maybe all this ignorance is feigned just to spice up the vids and he has actually done the necessary research before wrenching and posting?

Old 07-28-2022, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I wish he would do a little more research before diving in or posting these vids.
Constant references to Ford this and Ford that implying that it's a Ford engine or even that the whole car was built by Ford, wrong on both counts.
No idea about the SC until right to the end when he correctly says it is an Eaton TVS R1320.
No clues about the Symposer.
Comments that it "looks like a cut down V8" when to a degree that is exactly what it is.
Maybe all this ignorance is feigned just to spice up the vids and he has actually done the necessary research before wrenching and posting?
I get the sense that it's part of his shtick: diving in with little to no prior research.

OzXFR (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

While his vids are informative if a little incorrect(Ford??), I have to believe he has a lot of research done to be able to get everything done. As said, likely part of his schtick? Also, why not have an extra set of hands to help. The Hood removal was almost a comedy of errors and could have been disastrous.
All in all; however, he is quite informative to those of us who are armatures.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:11 AM

I left a comment in one of his videos, reminding him that's it's an aluminum-body car and to take great care in denting or scratching it. Oh well.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:10 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I left a comment in one of his videos, reminding him that's it's an aluminum-body car and to take great care in denting or scratching it. Oh well.
No kidding, he treats it like it's a barn find from the 1960's. The car is going to have a lot of cosmetic damage by the time he is done. It's a shame he doesn't have a shop manual too. Our cars are incredibly complex and I'm sure the factory has a specific sequence and method for any repairs and just taking bolts out and pulling pieces off or worse, using a pry bar as he did to remove the supercharger really makes me wince.

However, I do have to hand it to him for his determination.

MaxTorq (08-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 10:36 AM

Yeah, his YT persona is like a Jeremy Clarkson character that can read, yet still retains the "how hard could it be" approach to challenges. The next video will be the important one, to see whether he forces the issue and pulls the engine out the top, or wises up on the advantages of dropping it out the bottom.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:21 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have seen a massive influx of RS title vehicles over the years. Are insurance companies quick to salvage a car in recent years due to the complexity of the cars? Back in the day you would never buy a RS title since it was hard to even get insurance companies to insure the vehicle. Now I see people listing these cars, even pre pandemic, for 75-80% of the non RS title value.

Quick Reply: "Watch JR Go" F-Type salvage series on Youtube