F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watches anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 06:26 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Watches anyone?

Anybody into watches? Found a Jag tribute watch trolling the net. Never heard of mfgr Bremont, I guess they are a British company. Thought the crown was kinda neat. I'm more into Swiss brands but thought it was cool. The rotor is based on E type steering wheel. Rennlist has a watch forum. I wonder if we could start one here.

Last edited by 19FRG; 01-02-2021 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pcar2Jag (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Watches are cool if you get the right ones. Great idea for a thread!

Old 01-02-2021, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by PatentlawTX
Watches are cool if you get the right ones. Great idea for a thread!

Bremont is a well respected British brand and their watches are assembled in Britain of parts largely made elsewhere. Other British makes, while designed in Britain, are assembled in Switzerland - the beautiful watches of Christopher Ward, for example, and there are others. The market for well-made mechanical (not quartz) movement watches has expanded tremendously in the last 15 years. There are micro-companies designing watches all over the world, from Australia, Canada, Belgium, the US, Singapore, Italy...name a country and chances are that you will find companies of this sort (and their watches of varying quality and beauty). It has been my observation that the same sense of aesthetics that makes a person interested in Jaguars and other fine cars tends to work also for high quality mechanical watches.
Yes, your ipad or Apple watch can give you the accurate time; yes, a quartz watch will be more accurate than a Vacheron Constantin, but then, similarly, a Kia will get you to the same places (and more economically) as a Jaguar and under normal circumstances, just as quickly. But a Kia is not a Jaguar, and a Casio is not an Audemars Piguet.
The experience is quite different.

Last edited by sov211; 01-02-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:35 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

We did a fairly long thread on watches here a few years ago. Omega Constellation here, though I no longer wear it.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:04 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I like it. I agree that there is a common connection between the love of cars and mechanical things like watches or fine firearms. I have wanted an Omega Speedmaster since Apollo 11 touched down and if my Tesla stock continues on its wild ascension, I may just treat myself to one this year.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
19FRG (01-03-2021), Mbourne (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I've been weariing my Breitling Aerospace every day for over 20 years and am still not tired of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
19FRG (01-03-2021), Mbourne (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:19 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Watches are a much deeper swamp than cars if you get sucked in. For a while I was really into it but have kinda lost interest as watch companies just keep pumping out derivative models and the prices keep climbing.
I have a Zenith El Primero and an Omega Speedmaster Professional but most people around me seem to wear an Apple Watch or no watch at all.

fuzzysquid (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

im not a fan of novelty watches, but im kinda digging this one

Old 01-03-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
im not a fan of novelty watches, but im kinda digging this one
Apparently its an 8 thousand dollar novelty. I don't like the face but the movement is kinda cool.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by 19FRG
Apparently its an 8 thousand dollar novelty. I don't like the face but the movement is kinda cool.
Check out the Halios Seaforth as an example of a premium quality microbrand watch.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lani Kai
Watches are a much deeper swamp than cars if you get sucked in. For a while I was really into it but have kinda lost interest as watch companies just keep pumping out derivative models and the prices keep climbing.
I have a Zenith El Primero and an Omega Speedmaster Professional but most people around me seem to wear an Apple Watch or no watch at all.
Yeah, I'm hooked. I guess I could be doing worse things. 😁

Old 01-03-2021, 05:21 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Until 2020, I was always a quartz/solar/atomic set-it-and-forget-it watch person. Then I got sucked down the rabbit hole researching Ball watches (I'm long-time amateur ferroequinologist) and discovered the marvel of a quality automatic mechanical watch. Needless to say, the collection now looks like this:

DJS (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Looks like Thunder Dump wins.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Nice watch collection, a real commitment to the brands you love. Ball has a long history as the standard during the golden age of railroading. As I said in our original discussion you can't go wrong with Omega. I'm the one who in my last job was selling very hi end watches and jewlery. To me some people look at watches the same way they look at toasters, just an appliance or not even necessary. It's the way some people look at cars, just toasters or how else do we explain all the crossovers and lack of cars.You have to be hooked by the looks or appreciate the complexity of a mechanical movement of a fine watch , that doesn't mean there is any true value in a $85000 Patek or especially any Rolex. My Favorite watches to wear are my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 41, Omega Trans Ocean with the orange trim, a 2 tone rose gold Brietling Chrono 44 , my Cartier diver in black and ss strictly for the looks. All bought used at steep discounts except for the Brietling that was bought with a friends and family 60% discount while I was selling them. Best deal was the AP as new with all the paperwork and reciepts for $7000 against a $18,000 retail at the time, 2 months old and I sold it originally. Right place , right time, a typical Vegas incident.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
Nice watch collection, a real commitment to the brands you love. Ball has a long history as the standard during the golden age of railroading. As I said in our original discussion you can't go wrong with Omega. I'm the one who in my last job was selling very hi end watches and jewlery. To me some people look at watches the same way they look at toasters, just an appliance or not even necessary. It's the way some people look at cars, just toasters or how else do we explain all the crossovers and lack of cars.You have to be hooked by the looks or appreciate the complexity of a mechanical movement of a fine watch , that doesn't mean there is any true value in a $85000 Patek or especially any Rolex. My Favorite watches to wear are my Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 41, Omega Trans Ocean with the orange trim, a 2 tone rose gold Brietling Chrono 44 , my Cartier diver in black and ss strictly for the looks. All bought used at steep discounts except for the Brietling that was bought with a friends and family 60% discount while I was selling them. Best deal was the AP as new with all the paperwork and reciepts for $7000 against a $18,000 retail at the time, 2 months old and I sold it originally. Right place , right time, a typical Vegas incident.
Kind of funny that you say there isn’t value in a Rolex. It’s all relative, there are people that would be very impressed with a Rolex or other high end timepiece while others would say it’s not near as nice as some of the brands you mentioned. Same with pens (writing instruments) I have been a montblanc guy for some time and while I collect others that are more expensive, 99.98% of people wouldn’t know the difference between a rare montblanc skeleton and an ornate $20 pen found on Amazon. Same with cars, some people see them as a means to an end - transportation - and I wish I could too but I don’t eat cheeseburgers in my cars and I’m picky about the nuances. Again, just pointing out that it’s all relative. Also the reason I don’t do social media - I’m not an old man or afraid of technology but I work a job that requires discretion and over the years I’ve also realized that no matter what you have and decide to broadcast there is always going to someone who thinks your a show off and someone else who thinks you’re a clown.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
Until 2020, I was always a quartz/solar/atomic set-it-and-forget-it watch person. Then I got sucked down the rabbit hole researching Ball watches (I'm long-time amateur ferroequinologist) and discovered the marvel of a quality automatic mechanical watch. Needless to say, the collection now looks like this:

Nice, I just ordered my second Ball, highly underrated imo.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:39 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 19FRG
Nice, I just ordered my second Ball, highly underrated imo.
Agreed. Some will argue now that they are owned by a Chinese investment conglomerate that the watches aren't the same quality, but I've been nothing but impressed with their current offerings. They definitely punch above their weight.

19FRG (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Value is relative, I have a Rolex I bought in 99 that has appreciated in value as do most rolex. If people pay it that's all that really matters. While the rollie was a decent investment, its probably lower in my collection as far as favorites go. I have lots of lesser name watches that get more wrist time.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:51 PM

Agreed. Some will argue now that they are owned by a Chinese investment conglomerate that the watches aren't the same quality, but I've been nothing but impressed with their current offerings. They definitely punch above their weight.
Swiss made, and they keep quality up, so that doesn't concern me any more than Jag is owned by Tata motors.

scm (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

At first, I was wondering if you were an octopus, but clearly you're a dodecapus instead.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-04-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Watches anyone?