F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water marks on cloth roof, how to get rid off it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water marks on cloth roof, how to get rid off it?

I washed my F-Type S8 with my new high pressure crasher today. After all was done, the roof showed swirl marks where the swirling crasher jets hit the cloth. Now, when looked at in sun light, one can see all the water marks swirls. I thought it would dry and evaporate off under the hot sun of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, but they are still visible.

Any ideas.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag50
I washed my F-Type S8 with my new high pressure crasher today. After all was done, the roof showed swirl marks where the swirling crasher jets hit the cloth. Now, when looked at in sun light, one can see all the water marks swirls. I thought it would dry and evaporate off under the hot sun of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, but they are still visible.

Any ideas.
-> deleted... was thinking glass top of coupe and not canvas of convertible... sorry...

Last edited by 355rockit; 03-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
3M plastic polish (part number 051131) applied lightly with a microfiber sponge will remove the swirls. Use a spray bottle with (DI) water to clean off the surface after wiping with micro-fiber cloth.
DO NOT DO THIS!

The roof material is a type of soft canvas, like Sunbrella boat-canvas not vinyl or plastic like cheaper convertible roofs. It's very expensive. Plastic polish will stain it probably irreparably.

The top has water-repellant treatment on it. It's too late now, but you shouldn't have power-washed it, because you likely removed the water-repellant coating in spots. All that's really required is hosing it off with low pressure water, and at most using a soft brush and gentle soap. The same thing that repels water, repels dirt.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This will help make it less noticeable but not completely gone.
303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit (make sure you get one for fabric top)

Amazon.com: 303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: 303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit: Automotive

Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The top has water-repellant treatment on it. It's too late now, but you shouldn't have power-washed it, because you likely removed the water-repellant coating in spots. All that's really required is hosing it off with low pressure water, and at most using a soft brush and gentle soap. The same thing that repels water, repels dirt.
+1. The dealer may be able to advise you where or how to get the water repellant reapplied. An auto restorer (in Saudi?) could also accomplish this.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

DO NOT DO THIS!

The roof material is a type of soft canvas, like Sunbrella boat-canvas not vinyl or plastic like cheaper convertible roofs. It's very expensive. Plastic polish will stain it probably irreparably.

-> deleted comment... was thinking glass top of coupe and not convertible... sorry...

Old 03-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Chemical Guys has plenty of product and videos for cloth top!

Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I wash mine with low pressure water and use the chamois to dry. When dry I also use some duct tape or masking tape wrapped inside out around my hand so sticky side out and pat the roof with that to remove any fluff and pollen and dust etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm not promising that this will remove the marks, but it certainly is my product of choice for renewing the dirt and water repellant properties of the original fabric/coatings - Gtechniq I1

I have never tried his product, however it seems popular - Google, Raggtopp.

FWIW: I hose mine gently, using a small soft brush to lift any dirt/dust, then blow dry with a leaf blower, finish drying with a microfibre and then spray I1 regularly. I I1'd the interior as well!

Last edited by Tel; 03-29-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
. . . FWIW: I hose mine gently, using a small soft brush to lift any dirt/dust, then blow dry with a leaf blower, finish drying with a microfibre . . .
+1

This is all I've ever need to do. I've not even used any kind of soap because it hasn't been necessary to keep it looking showroom new. I just hose off bird droppings, etc., and dry with no trace. The coating on the roof seems to repel just about everything, so my goal is to not compromise it in any way.

In fairness though, my car is in a garage both at home and work.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

In fairness though, my car is in a garage both at home and work.
True. UV is far harsher on a soft top than any of the other natural elements. I am wondering whether the contemporary water repellents have advanced UV protection.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My heart was sinking as i was reading the replies

Thank you all....

I am hoping nothing drastic had happened to the top and that it is factory coating was strong enough to have withstood that one mistake.

I did do an additional wash with water soap (no pressure this time), and the marks have almost disappeared and are largely not noticeable except in few places.

We had a dust storm to days ago, and after washing the roof (no pressure again) it was as good as new, no evidence that that dust penetrations or marks visible where the repellent was supposed to have been damaged. So i guess all is ok.

And i will never do that again.

Thank you all for setting me strait so quickly.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I second the Raggtopp recommendation.

Both Raggtopp cleaner & protectant are tremendous products and can be had through amazon.

Just make sure you get the products designed for fabric, not vinyl, as they offer both.

That's where I would start.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag50
Thank you all....

I am hoping nothing drastic had happened to the top and that it is factory coating was strong enough to have withstood that one mistake.

I did do an additional wash with water soap (no pressure this time), and the marks have almost disappeared and are largely not noticeable except in few places.

We had a dust storm to days ago, and after washing the roof (no pressure again) it was as good as new, no evidence that that dust penetrations or marks visible where the repellent was supposed to have been damaged. So i guess all is ok.

And i will never do that again.

Thank you all for setting me strait so quickly.
It's great to hear that there were no ill effects.