F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We (16MY AWD) a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

This exact issue is actually quite common in the automotive industry. Both the service information being wrong and physically the dipstick being the wrong length. Its very easy to make a mistake between model years as engineering sometimes forgets to tell service of a change made. One person in engineering doesn't tell service about every single part that changed, and this happens. However you don't usually hear about it because it almost never causes an issue. Engines have to be quite severely overfilled to create major issues, and while you don't ideally want to run 2 quarts over filled, you probably won't have any damage as a result. Its common place for people to be running 2 quarts under full without even knowing it prior to an oil change, but this is built in as a safety margin so they don't immediately destroy a motor. The same goes for overfilling.

Last edited by Stohlen; 04-28-2016 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Having absolutely no knowledge about the AWD version (which of course makes me an expert) it wouldn't surprise me if the oil pan is shaped differently.
You are absolutely correct - Not bad for an expert ;-)

The AWD takes around 6.5L due to the reduction in pan dimensions, whilst the RWD takes around 7.25L.

What worries me, is that I have just had my first service (1 year old only 5750 miles), the invoice shows a bill for 5L of 0W-20 only! AND the dealer gave me back 0.7L in the bottle that had not been used!!!!!

They assured me it had been DRAINED from the sump, not sucked, so, I will be on the phone tomorrow for an explanation!

I didn't question the amount at the time, as I wasn't supplied with an invoice as it is billed directly back to HQ(as I'm on the 5 yr plan)...good job I asked for a copy!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This exact issue is actually quite common in the automotive industry. Both the service information being wrong and physically the dipstick being the wrong length. Its very easy to make a mistake between model years as engineering sometimes forgets to tell service of a change made. One person in engineering doesn't tell service about every single part that changed, and this happens. However you don't usually hear about it because it almost never causes an issue. Engines have to be quite severely overfilled to create major issues, and while you don't ideally want to run 2 quarts over filled, you probably won't have any damage as a result. Its common place for people to be running 2 quarts under full without even knowing it prior to an oil change, but this is built in as a safety margin so they don't immediately destroy a motor. The same goes for overfilling.
Interesting that you mentioned the dipstick being the wrong length. I had that happen with a 9.0L Cummins diesel in my previous motorcoach, making it impossible to even check the oil. The Cummins Factory Service Center figured that out and cut the dipstick to fit after exactly calibrating the proper oil level.

In my recent Jeep overfill incident, I mentioned that theory to the service manager, and she and I went to the lot and checked 5 other Pentastar V6s on the lot in 16 models. They were all the same as my 15.

In my case, the dispstick was perfectly accurate when the correct amount of oil was put in.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
You are absolutely correct - Not bad for an expert ;-)

The AWD takes around 6.5L due to the reduction in pan dimensions, whilst the RWD takes around 7.25L.

What worries me, is that I have just had my first service (1 year old only 5750 miles), the invoice shows a bill for 5L of 0W-20 only! AND the dealer gave me back 0.7L in the bottle that had not been used!!!!!

They assured me it had been DRAINED from the sump, not sucked, so, I will be on the phone tomorrow for an explanation!

I didn't question the amount at the time, as I wasn't supplied with an invoice as it is billed directly back to HQ(as I'm on the 5 yr plan)...good job I asked for a copy!
Well, what does your oil level display show?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Tel

Originally Posted by Foosh
Well, what does your oil level display show?
Full!

Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

An Update to my Update:

After thinking about it a little more....If the Oil Pan has been reduced in capacity (and it most certainly has due to modification required to accommodate the AWD system) HOW does the total capacity remain the same?

That along with the fact that my car arrived from the factory with what appeared to be 3/4 liter low in oil makes me wonder if the sensors have not been modified to reflect the lower capacity?

Anyways...after I brought up the point that the oil pan capacity is lower the dealer is now checking w UK Jaguar. I should have an answer by the end of the day.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Full!
Good. You can rest easy. If it were under, it would show that. If over, it would show that as well as in the picture posted by Cambo above.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ROGUE R
An Update to my Update:

After thinking about it a little more....If the Oil Pan has been reduced in capacity (and it most certainly has due to modification required to accommodate the AWD system) HOW does the total capacity remain the same?

That along with the fact that my car arrived from the factory with what appeared to be 3/4 liter low in oil makes me wonder if the sensors have not been modified to reflect the lower capacity?

Anyways...after I brought up the point that the oil pan capacity is lower the dealer is now checking w UK Jaguar. I should have an answer by the end of the day.
The sensor is not reading total capacity, but simply the fluid level just like a fuel gauge. Different sizes of fuel tanks and oil pans can have their levels calibrated by simply placing the sensor in the proper location so that full means full, half means half, and so on.

For example, if the AWD oil pan is shallower, the sensor could be in the same location in the RWD pan, and full would mean 6.5L vs. 7.2 in the RWD.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Tel

Good. You can rest easy. If it were under, it would show that. If over, it would show that as well as in the picture posted by Cambo above.
I get the basics of an electronic dipstick. Thanks.

If the dealer only used 4.3L after a filter and oil drain, and it's showing full, what does that tell you about the oil change (that should be 7.25L give or take)?......
that it hasn't been drained fully perhaps!? ...or is my math bad?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel

If the dealer only used 4.3L after a filter and oil drain, and it's showing full, what does that tell you about the oil change (that should be 7.25L give or take)?......
All things are possible, but if the oil level appears correct...I'd think the most simple explanation is that the dealer accidentally invoiced 5L of oil when they should have charged for 8L.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Tel, you say that they drained it via the sump plug, i didnt think we had one and if we do its a ball ache to get to what with engine covers etc.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel

It tells me they were either sloppy about entering correct data on the invoice, or that they did not follow your instructions to drain at the sump plug, and there was some oil left after suction. Getting to the sump plug is a lot of extra time and money for them, and JLR only pays them a fixed amount.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-28-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:25 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Seems sooo basic I find it unacceptable that such oversight is occurring with such a high-end car and hope JLR gets their ***** together. They should be embarrassed!

Old 04-29-2016, 03:36 AM
Tel
Thumbs up

It tells me they were either sloppy about entering correct data on the invoice, or that they did not follow your instructions to drain at the sump plug, and there was some oil left after suction. Getting to the sump plug is a lot of extra time and money for them, and JLR only pays them a fixed amount.
After talking to the Service manager this morning just to double check;
They have a policy in their 'R' approved dealership to drain all of their cars from the drain plug rather than vacuum it out - Hence why the invoice shows the drain plug listed...a consumable these days I guess!

They only bill for 5L as that keeps the invoice 'tallied' for the company that pays the costs of the service plan. They did actually use 7.3L, I have the eighth bottle in my hands has 600-700mL left in it.

Interestingly, we also had the tracking done and the front wheels were toe'ing out way beyond spec (although there is no noticeable wear on the edges), I guess as a consequence of the 2016MY models having a suspected incorrect torque on the track rod end (locking nut) and having been rectified, the tracking was not checked from handover?

I may appear a little over cautious about the servicing et al, but as some of you may know, we are on our second F-Type, and the JLR 'experience' doesn't exactly instil much faith in the system. On this occasion however, it appears that the dealer is on the ball.

If any UK owners wish to use this dealer for their servicing, I'd be only too happy to recommend them personally, but also will pass details over via PM

Old 04-29-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

The following is my personal opinion and is not intended to be viewed as a criticism of anyone in particular.

We drive $100K+ cars, but mechanics and service people that look after them are not paid three times what people that look after $30K Corollas get. Sure, you can expect some perks like free loaners, more personal attention, and nicer waiting area, but you can't expect service to be categorically different. These people do f-up, this is expected when you pay enough to only attract "third best" tier of people, and making a scene won't get you anywhere. I find I get best results by always being polite, attempt to accommodate them as much as possible, and documenting everything in writing. With this approach, if there is a f-up and demonstrable damage, you have a paper trail and can quickly escalate to decision-makers. You are also not labeled as 'difficult' customer, which is always appreciated and buys you ability to ask for favors.

Personal example - this Thursday I had appointment to have my tires changed to PSS and clutch work done. They had clutch parts, but forgot to schedule master mechanic's time to get this done. They profusely apologized and told me it won't be ready until next week. I offered to reschedule for Monday and everyone was very relived. Had I justifiably made a scandal, my car would still sit in the shop until Monday, but I wouldn't have earned 'goodwill'.

The following users liked this post:
plums (05-14-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

what is it about having the oil drained as opposed to siphoned out that makes the former preferable? At least that seems to be what I'm detecting from some of these comments.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
what is it about having the oil drained as opposed to siphoned out that makes the former preferable? At least that seems to be what I'm detecting from some of these comments.
I'd guess if its drained, you know it all came out 'cos gravity. Pumping it out on the other hand is dependent on how far 'in' the tube was placed - if not all the way, I guess some old oil could be left in the engine.

All this kinda makes you wonder if an old fashioned dipstick and drain plug would be simpler and bullet proof.

Reminds me of the old story about the development of the Fisher Space Pen - for NASA - lots of development work - special ink, special pressurised ink cartridge so it can write in any orientation on earth including upside down AND in zero G. Amazing.

Russian version? A pencil.

The following 2 users liked this post by mshedden:
mikelanzetta (04-30-2016), plums (05-14-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Assuming the additive package on the oil has been fully expended and you left 20% of that oil in the engine during a change, the life of the new oil would only be reduced by only 20%. It's just not worth fretting over getting the last drops of used oil out of the engine.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Assuming the additive package on the oil has been fully expended and you left 20% of that oil in the engine during a change, the life of the new oil would only be reduced by only 20%. It's just not worth fretting over getting the last drops of used oil out of the engine.
I think the main concern is if 20% of the oil is not suctioned out, and the dealer adds puts 7.5L of new oil in it, it is then 1.5L overfilled.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I think the main concern is if 20% of the oil is not suctioned out, and the dealer adds puts 7.5L of new oil in it, it is then 1.5L overfilled.
agreed. The lesson here is to check the oil level before we leave the dealership. The other lesson I learned years ago was to check the drain plug after an oil change. Given the lack of access , I prefer they just suck out the oil.

Quick Reply: We (16MY AWD) a big problem