F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We (16MY AWD) a big problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

thats why you lease it, overfilled? not my problem!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
thats why you lease it, overfilled? not my problem!
$36k after 3 years and nothing to show for it...not for me!

Old 04-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

I haven't read through everything..but if you guys are still wondering why the pan is different on the V8 AWD.. You ever wonder how they get the right hand front wheel to spin..a shaft has to connect the right hand side to the front differential(which is on the left side of the sump pan). I doubt things are reinvented for the Jaguar, and the Land Rover idea was just adapted, the right hand wheel has the shaft go through the oil sump pan...aka reducing sump capacity it. :-)

When oil is sucked out, there is a sight glass to monitor how much is being extracted(how else would you know when to stop?..you could listen to the different sound pitch of the extractor, but then that's not verified).. As for overfilling the oil by even 2L's, I don't see this causing engine damage..although I do see this causing excessive oil consumption, raw oil will be sucked though the breather system and finally burnt to a nice smelly smoke show out the tail pipe (ever seen a pcv stuck open?).. With these engines being direct injection, you never know, the little extra oil might help lubes things up! :-P

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
$36k after 3 years and nothing to show for it...not for me!
Not trying to get today of topic....but I will.

In three years, on a 110k Jag, could you sell it for 74k?? I don't think so, but I do not know the Jag market well enough to say that with confidence.

It would really suck to buy new, make 36k of payments and not be able to sell it and lose for less than 74k.

Paying with a lump sum? Same issue, try to sell after 3yrs and get your 74k back....good luck.

(I don't know, not making an argument either way, but it is just as easy to say, "Buying new (cash or financed), driving off the lot and depreciating 20%, not for me.")

Well all know, whether we will admit it or not, to buy 4 year old used cars and pay cash....but we find ways to justify doing what we want....

Back on this oil topic...yes, I agree.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
As for overfilling the oil by even 2L's, I don't see this causing engine damage..although I do see this causing excessive oil consumption, raw oil will be sucked though the breather system and finally burnt to a nice smelly smoke show out the tail pipe (ever seen a pcv stuck open?)..
Not in particular to the F-Type, but I've read that too much oil can cause the level to be high enough to where it contacts moving parts. The result can be that air is whipped in to the oil. Frothed oil can result in a lubrication problem. I have no way to know if this is true or not.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd

It would really suck to buy new, make 36k of payments and not be able to sell it and lose for less than 74k..
It's all based on the assumptions. I have never owned a car for less than 10 years and would be quite happy paying $46k ($82k-36k) for a 3 year old car knowing how I cared for it and the modifications that I made to it.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bret_T
Not in particular to the F-Type, but I've read that too much oil can cause the level to be high enough to where it contacts moving parts. The result can be that air is whipped in to the oil. Frothed oil can result in a lubrication problem. I have no way to know if this is true or not.
It is true; although splash lubing is normal, too much oil can entrain air ....but how much oil that would take and under what conditions damage would occur is unknown. Personally, I doubt a 1 - 1.5 litre overfill would cause immediate permanent damage in a Jaguar.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

I believe overfilling was far more problematic when the cam was down low in the engine. If the hydraulic lifters were submerged in oil, they could get pumped up to a point where they would cause the valves to interfere with the pistons. Not an issue with the overhead cam engines.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to get the engineers at Jaguar NA involved. Here is the latest:

The 2016 AWD does in fact have an oil quantity of 6.5 liters. Your Owner's manual chart on page 223 is correct. The oil pan was modified to accommodate the AWD set up.

This important information was never changed in the dealer's manuals. They have all been putting In 7.25 liters. Therefore, you have an overfill condition. If you electronic gauge says that you are "full" you have 7.25 liters in your engine and are overfilled.

I have been assured that the engine is fine w this amount however, if you have gotten your oil changed since the factory, I would recommend you get this fixed promptly. And I certainly would not pay for it.

I am going to push for Jaguar to send all owners a letter explaining this. The dealers should be getting word soon.

This is a huge mistake that could have damaged our engines. I for one will be pushing for an extended warranty.

Again.....this just came to me via my dealer from the engineers at Jaguar on a conference call this morning.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ROGUE R
They have all been putting In 7.25 liters. Therefore, you have an overfill condition. If you electronic gauge says that you are "full" you have 7.25 liters in your engine and are overfilled.
Just because the dealers were told the incorrect capacity does not mean that the electronic dipstick was not programmed correctly. Did they specifically confirm that the electronic dipstick is measuring incorrectly too?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

Just because the dealers were told the incorrect capacity does not mean that the electronic dipstick was not programmed correctly.
+1. As long as the top sensor locations remained at the same relative height in the oil pan, the fill mark will be accurate. The intermediate graduations, however, might might not reflect an exact quart or liter, but that doesn't really matter.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. As long as the top sensor locations remained at the same relative height in the oil pan, the fill mark will be accurate. The intermediate graduations, however, might might not reflect an exact quart or liter, but that doesn't really matter.
Yep, that's what I speculated above. Below is a crude diagram to illustrate the point. While not drawn exactly to scale, both containers should register roughly the same quantities on a gauge.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-02-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 PM

Just because the dealers were told the incorrect capacity does not mean that the electronic dipstick was not programmed correctly. Did they specifically confirm that the electronic dipstick is measuring incorrectly too?
I have personally verified it. This odyssey began w/ an overfill condition indicated on my electronic gauge. Jaguar flat bedded it back to the dealer where I stood right there and watched them suck out 7.75 liters. I stood right there and watched them put 7.25 liters back into the car. The electronic gauge showed it to be right on the 100% full mark. Only later, after seeing the 6.5 liters indicated in the owner's manual did I start to research why that might be. Once it was obvious to me that Jaguar had mistakingly instructed it's dealers to add 7.25 liters the engineers at Jaguar NA were contacted and my suspicions are correct. If your electronic gauge is at the 100% full line you have 7.25 liters in your car.

When my car was new the oil level was half way down from the fill line. I thought that was odd. Now it makes perfect sense. It was filled at the factory w/ 6.5 liters.

My car is going back to the dealer tomorrow for its 3rd oil change in the past 300 miles's to have it's drained once again, then filled properly with 6.5 liters.

The dealer's are not at fault. JAGUAR did not properly inform the dealer's on the new amount so don't blame them.

The following 2 users liked this post by ROGUE R:
BierNut (05-05-2016), Foosh (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ROGUE R
I have personally verified it. This odyssey began w/ an overfill condition indicated on my electronic gauge. Jaguar flat bedded it back to the dealer where I stood right there and watched them suck out 7.75 liters. I stood right there and watched them put 7.25 liters back into the car. The electronic gauge showed it to be right on the 100% full mark. Only later, after seeing the 6.5 liters indicated in the owner's manual did I start to research why that might be. Once it was obvious to me that Jaguar had mistakingly instructed it's dealers to add 7.25 liters the engineers at Jaguar NA were contacted and my suspicions are correct. If your electronic gauge is at the 100% full line you have 7.25 liters in your car.

When my car was new the oil level was half way down from the fill line. I thought that was odd. Now it makes perfect sense. It was filled at the factory w/ 6.5 liters.

My car is going back to the dealer tomorrow for its 3rd oil change in the past 300 miles's to have it's drained once again, then filled properly with 6.5 liters.

The dealer's are not at fault. JAGUAR did not properly inform the dealer's on the new amount so don't blame them.
Good detective work on your part, but I still don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of engine damage. A .75L overfill shouldn't cause a problem, certainly not in a few hundred miles, but I wouldn't like it any more than you do.

I am still perplexed as to why the sensor wouldn't have indicated an overfill condition if the full level sensor was mounted at the same height in the lower volume pan. Regardless, I understand forgetting to update documentation, but I can't comprehend that engineers could make such an obvious mistake as not accounting for proper sensor mounting in a smaller oil pan.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-02-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the F type not have a way of warning you the engine level is LOW? It seems to only say low oil if you actually check the level.... but if you don't, it doesn't warn you. Anyone with experience on this?

Old 05-03-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TimelessR
Does the F type not have a way of warning you the engine level is LOW? It seems to only say low oil if you actually check the level.... but if you don't, it doesn't warn you. Anyone with experience on this?
I would prefer not to personally find out whether it alarms. I would think it would (or at least should), though.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I am still perplexed as to why the sensor wouldn't have indicated an overfill condition if the full level sensor was mounted at the same height in the lower volume pan. .
Me too......

Dave

Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TimelessR

Every vehicle I've seen for the last 40 years has at least a low oil pressure idiot light. It should appear briefly on start-up or when you press the start button w/ your foot off the brake.

I don't have the car w/ me today, but will have to check.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My old Mercedes roadster had multiple "idiot lights". For example, when engine was overfilled, it chimed and displayed engine oil overfilled error message on dash. I had that happen once, was in a rush, didn't check level - it was slightly over when cold, but once it fully warmed up it triggered the warning. Turned around, get the shop siphon it out.

I am hugely surprised Jaguar engineers aren't with the program on this. I am almost tempted to overfill and see if it warns me at some point. I don't have oil evacuator, so doing my own change will be messy and time consuming, but maybe some folks here who do oil changes themselves could try it right before oil change?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM

I just got back from the dealer and my 2016 R has been properly filled with 6.5 liters of oil in the engine (3rd oil/filter change in 250 miles!). The dealer electronically adjusted the 100% fill line so that it shows full w/ 6.5 liters.

Apparently, this whole affair has caused much discussion at Jaguar. I have meticuously documented everything in case I have any issues whatsoever down the line.

If anyone owns a Jag in the Bay area I VERY HIGHLY recommend COLE EUROPEAN in Walnut Creek for service. On a scale of 1-10, they are a 12. Whatever you do....stay far....far away from Livermore.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-03-2016)

Quick Reply: We (16MY AWD) a big problem