F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We just got an SVR in....pics and observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Regarding 'heat soak', the master mechanic at my dealer advised me some time ago to get rid of the engine cover, drill out the hood vents and find a way to cut out some of the undercar cover.
He said the XKRS had the undercar cover removed from the factory and from the pictures, it looks like this car does too and is basically following the same formula for heat soak as the XKRS.
Lawrence

Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
The thing I'm more worried about than CC brakes are the active spoiler and exterior carbon package. I ordered neither and now I'm worried that I really screwed up.

The exterior carbon stuff can almost certainly be installed later, just have to order the right parts. But converting the vehicle from deployable spoiler to active spoiler seems difficult and costly, maybe even impossible.
I definitely would get the spoiler, it is unique to this car and I am not sure but you might even "lose" the 200mph capability without it. Maybe, maybe not but SVR only at this point.

CF pieces bought later from dealer will run you double what the option kit costs. I know I did it for the XKR-S.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 175 Likes on 79 Posts
Default ...and the Meridian Sound System???

- Same old touchscreen, no In-touch Pro which was a bit of a disappointment given the price tag.

Dare I ask - what does the Meridian 770 Stereo System sound like in the SVR?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralSVR
- Same old touchscreen, no In-touch Pro which was a bit of a disappointment given the price tag.

Dare I ask - what does the Meridian 770 Stereo System sound like in the SVR?

I checked it for functionality but it didn't dawn on me that it might be different spec than what came in mine. I'm no audiophile though, probably the wrong person to ask.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Update from my dealer: my salesman just assumed the carbon fiber exterior package was a dealer installed option "like on other F-types" and he did not put it on my order. I showed the sales manager my email of ordered spec's and he is trying to get the parts to add because for the SVR it should be a factory installed option. He says they can swap them out no problem he just needs to get the parts on hand. I am a bit angry with the sales guy who assured me in writing that the carbon exterior package would be on the car.
My experience with this particular dealership is turning into a fiasco.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

He probably got confused because on "other f-types" there are official accessories for the mirror covers and roll hoops. But the SVR also includes hood vents, side vents, and some pieces on front and rear.

PS just the mirror covers and roll hoops are around $3k, not including installation. The factory option is $4500 for MUCH more. I don't think it will be cost effective to get the entire thing done, it will be far more than $4500 even with a pretty steep discount.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:27 PM

I am going to approach it as "you informed me in writing that I had the CF exterior package for 4K" and demand it done for 4K (or whatever the factory option is priced)
If they cannot, I will have to decide to take it as is, or re-order. This dealership has been so unprofessional! This is about their 5th significant screw up in my particular case.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
He probably got confused because on "other f-types" there are official accessories for the mirror covers and roll hoops. But the SVR also includes hood vents, side vents, and some pieces on front and rear.

PS just the mirror covers and roll hoops are around $3k, not including installation. The factory option is $4500 for MUCH more. I don't think it will be cost effective to get the entire thing done, it will be far more than $4500 even with a pretty steep discount.
The dealer has plenty of margin left on an SVR to be able to install all the bits and pieces and honor a $4500 installation. $hit happens, people make mistakes...no need to be upset about it as long as they rectify the problem they caused.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

So... To review:

JLR charge top dollar for standard parts wrapped in Carbon Fibre.

Aside from wishing to demonstrate that you can afford it, why would you spend anything on CF bits? They're heavier, less durable, and will not make your car more valuable (but, you might be able to sell them separately for a worthwhile amount). Yes?

Old 07-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

Not all of the OEM CF bits are wrapped. The mirror caps certainly aren't and save you at least 10 grams of kerb weight. Each!

I would suspect the roof option isn't either. The splitters and cosmetic trim pieces (e.g vent covers, interior trim) are wrapped.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

I cannot speak for all the F-Type CF pieces as I only have the dashboard in CF but that and all the CF pieces in the XKR-S are CF only, not wrapped, first time I heard that for any Jaguar parts. Until I see one to me all Jaguar CF parts are genuinely made out of CF.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Dealer says the CF exterior package parts are indeed "real" carbon fiber. Due to the newness of the SVR, he can't get the parts quickly, so I will add them on at a later date. I go to pick mine up at 4 pm today!! Very excited!!

Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I cannot speak for all the F-Type CF pieces as I only have the dashboard in CF but that and all the CF pieces in the XKR-S are CF only, not wrapped, first time I heard that for any Jaguar parts. Until I see one to me all Jaguar CF parts are genuinely made out of CF.
I'll take a pic of the next set of CF fender trim sets I install. I'm the guy installing them... I can assure, beyond any reasonable doubt, they are wrapped. When the box says "Japan" and the back of the fender trim says "chrome" it's sort of a giveaway .That's not to say everything is wrapped, as someone pointed out, the mirror caps are indeed CF.

Ryan

Old 07-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

I so appreciate how objective your information is in the first post.

Knowing that everyone wants the latest and greatest and all that, but that car is just not lust worthy over a standard issue R. The 2015 is cleaner, more elegant a design, IMHO only. Personal taste is just that.

Like you said, a tune/pulley and you are there or beyond. So it better have updated stereo/tech at a minimum - and it does not. Definitely NOT happy about the exhaust.

There has to be something overwhelming that has a 'wow' factor - I don't see it.

Sorry, a very nice cond low miles R can be had these days in the mid-high 70s + $3k for all sorts of extra goodies, the 305s, etc. So the <$80k route is the way to go and let someone else take the 20% depreciation hit these cars get after 60 days.

Unless you have money to burn and must have the latest model I guess.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 07-20-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ryan23
I did not see any exhaust actuators. There is still a exhaust button but I think it's just Jag being lazy.
On the Jaguar website, the SVR still has listed as a spec: Switchable Active Exhaust. Is it possible that the valves are internal to the muffler cans with a vacuum line connected on top and out of site?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
On the Jaguar website, the SVR still has listed as a spec: Switchable Active Exhaust. Is it possible that the valves are internal to the muffler cans with a vacuum line connected on top and out of site?
I looked and couldn't see any controller. Likewise, the switch didn't appear to have any effect while driving.

Ryan

Old 07-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ryan23
I'll take a pic of the next set of CF fender trim sets I install. I'm the guy installing them... I can assure, beyond any reasonable doubt, they are wrapped. When the box says "Japan" and the back of the fender trim says "chrome" it's sort of a giveaway .That's not to say everything is wrapped, as someone pointed out, the mirror caps are indeed CF.

Ryan
you are talking about the side vents on the F Type, that could be, never had that piece in my hand in CF. The Front splitter, rear spoiler, the hood vents, the trunk finisher, mirror caps and the rear diffuser are made out of CF solid in the XKR-S. Same for the center console in the F -Type. Had all those pieces in my hand, no question CF only, you can turn them over and see the rear, raw CF weaving and less of the resin. The side spears on the XKR-S could have been wrapped, now that I think back and I could also see that because of the three plastic clip mounting points required. They would never hold if they were glued with resin into the CF and most likely break out. Might be the same thing with the F-Type. However from my experience it is absolutely false to claim that all or even a majority of Jaguar CF parts are just wrapped and heavier.

Last edited by Schwabe; 07-20-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Jag is starting to remind me of Porsche (though they have a way to go as far a how many models of the same car can you make), and you can use the same logic (all 911's look alike to most people), with the F type. Unlike Porsche though Jaguar does not have an option list that is three feet long (someone on Ferrarichat just ordered a new Cayman with 29k worth of options), and can add up to the price of the base car. I think the SVR was supposed to be the no nonsense be loud in your face model so it just needs to be loud and in your face. True you can make an R just as fast, but in the end it will be an R. I had no desire to own the SVR, but I do see the appeal, I just do not have the need (already have that covered in other cars). As far as the carbon fiber if these parts are indeed wrapped they are seriously expensive. I saw the prices of the CF stuff for the R and even I said what the..... I have worked with some CF guys over the years (some have made some one off pieces for my cars) so I may reach out to them and see what they think.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carnut1
... and you can use the same logic (all 911's look alike to most people), with the F type.
Not really. The Porsche's appearance hasn't materially changed since 1965 (50 years). The F-type hasn't changed much since 2013. The recent production of XKs, at 18 years, has been the longest GT or sports car run that Jaguar has undertaken with similar body styles. It is unlikely the current F-Type styling will last more than 13 or 14 years, like the early XKs (50's) and the E-Types.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-25-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look amazing anyway! Can't wait to put my order in! Already bought the plate!

Quick Reply: We just got an SVR in....pics and observations