Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight reductions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by cbroth1
I think that the "performance brakes" on this car are quite good compared to others and the various reviewers have agreed on this.
Which "performance brakes?" The "high performance" or the "super performance?"

Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

My primary weight reduction strategy for the F-Type involves me eating more salads and less pizza.

It's the least fun weight reduction strategy ever.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
My primary weight reduction strategy for the F-Type involves me eating more salads and less pizza.

It's the least fun weight reduction strategy ever.
Sad, but oh so true.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd certainly encourage proper health and diet.
But these cars have a noisemaker system, which I'm sure can be removed to aid in the weight savings. Has it been discussed? Similar to the Mini, it's an acoustic system that pipes sounds into the cabin. It's also ridiculously complex and for someone like me infuriating. What amount of the price went to developing this useless system? Why this and not a boost gauge, shift light/gear indicator, carbon driveshaft ANYTHING!?

It's referred to as the Noise Feedback System, and contains 12 major components.

Item Description
1 - Outlet Adapter
2 - Clamp
3 - Feedback Tube
4 - Clamp
5 - Resonator
6 - Vacuum Hose – Intake Manifold Tuning Valve to Pneumatic Actuator
7 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve
8 - Vacuum Hose – Intake Manifold Tuning Valve to Brake Vacuum System
9 - Pneumatic Valve
10 - Symposer(yes, really)
11 - Inlet Pipe
12 - Outlet Pipe

Last edited by MagnumPI; 02-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
I'd certainly encourage proper health and diet.
But these cars have a noisemaker system, which I'm sure can be removed to aid in the weight savings. Has it been discussed? Similar to the Mini, it's an acoustic system that pipes sounds into the cabin. It's also ridiculously complex and for someone like me infuriating. What amount of the price went to developing this useless system? Why this and not a boost gauge, shift light/gear indicator, carbon driveshaft ANYTHING!?
Hear, hear! (pun intended). I neither need nor want that kind of shinola. Do you have descriptions of the parts in the diagram, and perhaps locations? I'm going to go look at the car now. I've been polishing out the place where some inept, inconsiderate, irresponsible baboon left white paint on my rear bumper, so I'm in "maintenance mode" anyway.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Really?, Really? . . . . a noise-maker system that looks like it was designed by Rube Goldberg. This is just another ridiculous example of the massive unnecessary pork. As much as I like the base V6 F-Type, that kinda crap just makes me nuts, and I could LOVE a completely stripped-down version a la Lotus.

Recently, I looked long and hard at a race-prepped E-Type "lightweight" and was only mildly surprised to see that it had a massive power-to-weight advantage over the F-Type R.

E-Type "lightweight": 2200 lbs. @ 375HP = 5.86 lbs/HP
F-Type R: 3900 lbs. @ 550 HP = 7.09 lbs/HP

Last edited by Foosh; 02-07-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's an easy one - remove the engine cover. That's 3 1/4 pounds. The Project 7 ditches it.

The following users liked this post:
MagnumPI (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PolkNole
Here's an easy one - remove the engine cover. That's 3 1/4 pounds. The Project 7 ditches it.
With the mesh vents, the sun will start attacking some plastic fittings, so I'll leave it for now; however, mine's been ever so slightly lightened by mice. They chewed some of the foam stuck to the underside.

I just removed the "J A G U A R" lettering from the spoiler though (left the leaper). What do you think that'll save?

Old 02-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I just removed the "J A G U A R" lettering from the spoiler though (left the leaper). What do you think that'll save?
That'll add 1.621mph to your top speed, more streamlined airflow now

Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM

It's all on the top, rear of the engine. There's the case the harness runs through that goes across the middle of this... System. So, it's an over under back forth.. Well, here's a picture. I also added the descriptions to the previous diagram.

Last edited by MagnumPI; 02-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by PolkNole
Did that. Kind of cool you can hear the supercharger whine a little bit more. At least, you can if the bypass valve doesn't siphon all your boost away...

Old 02-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Perhaps we shouldn't focus on the 5 pound noise amplification system and rather the 200 lbs worth of seats in the car. That's where a difference can be made. But this car was never intended to be light weight and an all out performer, so anyone who is upset about the weight probably should have considered their car choice more carefully.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Really?, Really? . . . . a noise-maker system that looks like it was designed by Rube Goldberg. This is just another ridiculous example of the massive unnecessary pork. As much as I like the base V6 F-Type, that kinda crap just makes me nuts, and I could LOVE a completely stripped-down version a la Lotus.

Recently, I looked long and hard at a race-prepped E-Type "lightweight" and was only mildly surprised to see that it had a massive power-to-weight advantage over the F-Type R.

E-Type "lightweight": 2200 lbs. @ 375HP = 5.86 lbs/HP
F-Type R: 3900 lbs. @ 550 HP = 7.09 lbs/HP
This is why I'm now officially done with new cars. From here it's advancing old cars to new technology. Having to spend money on something I only have to re-engineer to un-stupid is absurd. And the nanny mechanisms, backups for backups on backups and all the weird emissions garbage? Can't do it anymore.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Perhaps we shouldn't focus on the 5 pound noise amplification system and rather the 200 lbs worth of seats in the car. That's where a difference can be made. But this car was never intended to be light weight and an all out performer, so anyone who is upset about the weight probably should have considered their car choice more carefully.
Yes, big things like the seats are obvious, but all the little things are also important. The "engine sound enhancement system" is symbolic of hundreds of design decisions adding additional pork.

I analyze every aspect of every car decision. I knew full well what I was getting when I bought, and I bought what I did specifically because I didn't want the bloated version with the big engine and a whole bunch of optional junk. Nonetheless, after weighing the pros and cons, I still wanted an F-Type, even though the "stripped" version was overweight and gave me junk I didn't want.

However, that doesn't change the direction I'd like to see JLR take. This is a car forum, and expressing what one would like to see is what people do in car forums. Other manufacturers are working hard on losing weight and on offering both luxury and performance-oriented versions.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-07-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Which "performance brakes?" The "high performance" or the "super performance?"
I'm referring to the "super performance" brakes on the 2016 R, as those are what I've got.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
This is why I'm now officially done with new cars. From here it's advancing old cars to new technology. Having to spend money on something I only have to re-engineer to un-stupid is absurd. And the nanny mechanisms, backups for backups on backups and all the weird emissions garbage? Can't do it anymore.
+1. That's what I've been doing over the past several years. Have a modern V8 in my 40 year old LandCruiser with twice the fuel economy and close to 3 times the power, plus a two speed splitter to double the OEM 8 gear ratios. The 26 year old GMC K1500 was pretty much perfect except for a cam and tune to increase the power 50%. The Mini needed bigger SC, airbox, brakes, sway bars and intercooler, a pulley,short shifter,modified by-pass valve, shock tower strut, lowered suspension and free flow exhaust. The F-type is anomalous among my vehicles in requiring things to be removed: clutch delay valve, speed limiter, torque management nannies, fake noise generator. At least on my 2016, I don't have to remove the ECO battery.

This snort box on the back end of the F-Type engine has got to go. What a major disappointment in the designers. It's probably most of the cause of the drone at 70mph on the MT cars. If I want to hear the exhaust note, I'll roll down the window when it is removed.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-07-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Other manufacturers are working hard on losing weight and on offering both luxury and performance-oriented versions.
There is a very good reason Ford is working hard to mass produce carbon fiber and using Aluminum on the trucks which will eventually migrate to the cars as well.

They have no choice if they want to meet the ever increasing emission standards.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
This snort box on the back end of the F-Type engine has got to go. What a major disappointment in the designers. It's probably most of the cause of the drone at 70mph on the MT cars. If I want to hear the exhaust note, I'll roll down the window when it is removed.
Agreed. If I want fake noises, I'll play a video game. "Symposer" indeed. Let's put the emphasis on "poser." Sadly, the main reason I can afford this car is that I work far too many hours. That leaves too few for modification. With my previous car I'd replaced all the dampers (struts/shocks) and pulled the nose to upgrade all the intake ducts and the intercooler, all before the first oil change. Time is my most valuable commodity right now.

Back to the Fake Noise Thing: Disabling should be straightforward, I expect that its responsible for the change in tone in the mid to upper 3K range which I previously attributed to the active exhaust. Not sure how much it all weighs: The pieces are smaller than I expected. Still, removal will clear some space. It looks like two blanking panels and a way to block the vacuum line are all that's necessary.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Agreed. If I want fake noises, I'll play a video game.
You guys keep saying "fake engine noises" but there is nothing fake about them. Unlike other companies, which are pumping fake engine noises through the stereo speakers, this system has no speakers at all and is just designed to direct more engine noise into the cabin. It's a very simple, and low cost system from a design perspective, compared to integrating fake exhaust into the radio. Also the whole thing weighs like two pounds. I really think you guys would be disappointed if you removed it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Foosh (02-08-2016), PolkNole (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, perhaps I was overly harsh on the sound-enhancer, but ever increasing vehicle weight is a hot-button for me.

On the one hand, it's a bit of a non-sequitur to me to engineer and build an aluminum body and chassis and end up with a car that weighs this much. Of course, you could also say, it would really have been a pig had they not . . .

Despite the weight, I'm still very pleased with the car after 2 years and have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon. I just fantasize a bit about how good it could be after a 400 lb. diet. Drop that amount of weight off my option-less base '14 V6, bump the HP to 400, and you have basically the same power-to-weight ratio as the current 2 ton R.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: weight reductions