F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight reductions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Unfortunately this is the modern world we live in. Add any sort of luxury to a vehicle and the thing will weigh tons, literally. And you are unfortunately a vast minority in what you look for in a car. Older models are probably your only option, modified to modern performance standards.

On a side note, I highly consider you look at the Fiat 124. Aside from maybe not looking the best that car is damn good. And I say that as an enthusiast, not as someone who works for the company.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Unfortunately this is the modern world we live in. Add any sort of luxury to a vehicle and the thing will weigh tons, literally. And you are unfortunately a vast minority in what you look for in a car. Older models are probably your only option, modified to modern performance standards.

On a side note, I highly consider you look at the Fiat 124. Aside from maybe not looking the best that car is damn good. And I say that as an enthusiast, not as someone who works for the company.
I think there is a market for lightweight sports cars w/ healthy power-to-weight ratios between 6 to 8 lbs/HP. As I said, the ideal specs for me would be a 3200 lb. car with a blown V6 developing at least 400HP or a bit better. I don't see that as unattainable. GM developed and produced the C6 Z06 from 2006-2013, which weighed 3200 lbs. and had 505HP. Of course, the C7 version has gained about 400 lbs. A true 911 competitor from JLR would really capture some attention, but that will require losing a lot of weight.

I have no interest in a car like the Fiat 124. It's just a Miata w/ different sheet metal, and it's heavier to boot. While light, the power-to-weight ratio is anemic compared to the base F-Type, and the Miata is better looking. I do agree that the Miata is an impressive handling car, but it's too underpowered to be of interest to me.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-08-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Nice looking car. The Fiat website doesn't say if it's FWD/RWD? Nice that a 6-speed is available.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Nice looking car. The Fiat website doesn't say if it's FWD/RWD? Nice that a 6-speed is available.
RWD, the platform is shared w/ the Miata.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think there is a market for lightweight sports cars w/ healthy power-to-weight ratios between 6 to 8 lbs/HP. As I said, the ideal specs for me would be a 3200 lb. car with a blown V6 developing at least 400HP or a bit better. I don't see that as unattainable. GM developed and produced the C6 Z06 from 2006-2013, which weighed 3200 lbs. and had 505HP. Of course, the C7 version has gained about 400 lbs. A true 911 competitor from JLR would really capture some attention, but that will require losing a lot of weight.
See but if Chevy can't even do it anymore, with the most popular high end sports coupe out there, how is jaguar ever going to be able to? They can't afford to put nearly as much R&D into a vehicle as Chevy can, they just don't have the volume. Increasingly strict emissions, fuel economy and safety standards have backed OEMs into a corner as far as what they can do.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

See but if Chevy can't even do it anymore, with the most popular high end sports coupe out there, how is jaguar ever going to be able to? They can't afford to put nearly as much R&D into a vehicle as Chevy can, they just don't have the volume. Increasingly strict emissions, fuel economy and safety standards have backed OEMs into a corner as far as what they can do.
GM can easily still do it, but it fell into the same familiar pattern by adding tech and luxury to the C7. Of course, they were badgered to do so by the customers and critics who always complained about the "cheapness" of the interior. Thus, you're right to suggest that customer preferences are driving extra fat, and judging by the preferences expressed by members of this forum, a large percentage wants even more luxury/fat. You're right that regulations are also adding fat.

You say that I'm a minority, but that minority may be sizable enough to move a lot of cars. It was you who pointed me to the new Fiat 124 and the new Mazda Miata, which lost significant weight. Those cars achieved astonishingly light weights (~ 2500 lbs. ) while complying with current mandates, and the Miata has always enjoyed strong customer demand.

Just add some higher-end models with serious power, even if that means giving up some of the weight savings (plenty of cushion to spare), and the customer base will grow. Certainly FCA knows where to find some amazingly powerful engines.

That customer base is out there, but not necessarily a large presence on this forum.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Just add some higher-end models with serious power, even if that means giving up some of the weight savings (plenty of cushion to spare), and the customer base will grow. Certainly FCA knows where to find some amazingly powerful engines.

That customer base is out there, but not necessarily a large presence on this forum.
Keep in mind the physical chassis has to be more robust to hold 400 horsepower vs 180. And then you've gotta have beefier brakes and suspension and bigger wheels and tires to hold that power... The weight adds up fast. I'm just saying it's not as easy as it sounds. Especially for a low production manufacturer. Hell, even supercars can't accomplish that feat.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

As I said, the ideal specs for me would be a 3200 lb. car with a blown V6 developing at least 400HP or a bit better.
Foosh, we are already pretty close with the F-Type V6. We have the power with a good tune. Now we just need to shed 300 lbs. A change in seats, wheels, battery and brakes could get us more than half way there.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What about the glass roof? That thing has to weigh a bunch.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Foosh, we are already pretty close with the F-Type V6. We have the power with a good tune. Now we just need to shed 300 lbs. A change in seats, wheels, battery and brakes could get us more than half way there.
Agreed. I think it would be possible to get at least half way there.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
+1. The CF roof option has got to be much lighter. Unfortunately, the panoramic roof was the only way I could opt for the coupe over the vert.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
+1. The CF roof option has got to be much lighter. Unfortunately, the panoramic roof was the only way I could opt for the coupe over the vert.
I did not want the glass roof, but had no choice. Other than CF, that is, and the extra cost was silly for something I wanted body color anyway.

I knew I was getting a car that was more GT than Sports, but they did force more luxury on me than I wanted. I too may have been overly harsh on the Symposer system, but it's another thing I didn't want and had no choice. Could I trade it and the glass roof for some opposed piston calipers, please?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind the physical chassis has to be more robust to hold 400 horsepower vs 180. And then you've gotta have beefier brakes and suspension and bigger wheels and tires to hold that power... The weight adds up fast. I'm just saying it's not as easy as it sounds. Especially for a low production manufacturer. Hell, even supercars can't accomplish that feat.
They have about 700 lbs. to play with. I know it's not easy, but it can be done.

What do you mean supercars can't accomplish that feat? As I said my target is 3200 lbs, and Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari all hit that target with a hell of a lot more power.

As Lance said, it would be pretty simple to come close to that target just by taking things off the base F-Type, and going w/ lightweight seats and wheels. 400HP is also easy w/ the V6. People would pay a premium for an F-Type "lightweight." I would.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-08-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:01 AM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Can't tell. They don't specify the offsets.
The offsets can be customised to your own specifications, at least that's what the seller says!

Would it be a worthwhile upgrade for performance? I have a feeling that the rims, which are truly worth it, are the forged ones which sell for 5k+. That's based of absolutely nothing except my feeling that 1k wheels that improve performance are too good to be true!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ss23
The offsets can be customised to your own specifications, at least that's what the seller says!

Would it be a worthwhile upgrade for performance? I have a feeling that the rims, which are truly worth it, are the forged ones which sell for 5k+. That's based of absolutely nothing except my feeling that 1k wheels that improve performance are too good to be true!
Yes, your feelings are on target. It's highly unlikely that wheels in that price range are going to provide any performance benefit. They are, no doubt, cast, which is a much cheaper manufacturing process, and they tend be denser, hence much heavier. You're also correct that forged wheels are the strongest, lightest, and by far the most expensive.

The link below nicely explains the differences:

Wheel Tech Information - Wheel Construction

Last edited by Foosh; 02-09-2016 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ss23 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm venturing into removing the noise feedback system ony 2010 XKR, I'll be posting a thread in the next few days in the X150 forum if anyone is interested. Looks as if almost all the Jag 5.0 S/C engines got this setup. Waste of money, room, materials, etc IMO.

MagnumPI (02-11-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
I'm venturing into removing the noise feedback system ony 2010 XKR, I'll be posting a thread in the next few days in the X150 forum if anyone is interested. Looks as if almost all the Jag 5.0 S/C engines got this setup. Waste of money, room, materials, etc IMO.
I just disabled mine this morning to see what difference it made. With the active exhaust in its quiet setting, the car still gets louder at around 3500 rpm under heavy load. I can still hear the exhaust open up, but the sound doesn't increase as much, and it's clearly coming from outside. Previously it would resonate through the cabin in a way that I found mildly annoying. We'll see how I feel about it after a few days, but so far, I'm happier without the Symposer "enhancement."

To disable it, I removed the plastic elbow on top and separated it from the hose that goes to the firewall. Into the hose side of the elbow I stuffed in a plug of rolled up ensolite. The plug is about 3cm long.

MagnumPI (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

One huge weight reduction that could be had with either the F-Type or the XKR is the factory air box. The sound symposer system only yields about 2-3lbs est. But I think more than that could be shaved with a custom air intake.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigdhenderson
One huge weight reduction that could be had with either the F-Type or the XKR is the factory air box. The sound symposer system only yields about 2-3lbs est. But I think more than that could be shaved with a custom air intake.
I'd hardly call a lightweight airbox "major". I still think the community should be focusing on wheels, exhaust components and most importantly seats if looking for serious weight reduction.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Simplified HVAC, ditch the high-cost stereo, retrofit the aluminium roof panel, fit a set of Sparco bucket seats, fit lighter brakes/smaller wheels, remove the power tailgate...

I think 300lb would be easy to find on some of the V8 models.

Quick Reply: weight reductions