F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 08:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Weird Engine Noise

I've read around the forums for similar issues and am unsure as to what the problem could be. I was hoping to get a little more direction as to if it could be the SC coupler / torsion isolator, nose bearings, or maybe the timing chain? Does the SC need to come off in order to work on the timing chain or the coupler? Sorry for the multiple attachments, just giving variation to different sounds. This is on my 2015 F-Type V6S with about 77.5k miles.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Shut Down.mov (15.26 MB, 69 views)
Start up.mov (19.85 MB, 65 views)
Idle Sound.mov (15.46 MB, 125 views)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwis
I've read around the forums for similar issues and am unsure as to what the problem could be. I was hoping to get a little more direction as to if it could be the SC coupler / torsion isolator, nose bearings, or maybe the timing chain? Does the SC need to come off in order to work on the timing chain or the coupler? Sorry for the multiple attachments, just giving variation to different sounds. This is on my 2015 F-Type V6S with about 77.5k miles.
Sounds like the dreaded coupler rattle and shut down clonk to me, although it is possible it is timing chains.
For the coupler fix/replacement the SC needs to come off as the SC snout needs to come off, although some have claimed that the snout can be removed by simply levering up the engine to access the problematic bolt on the underside of the snout.
If it is the timing chains I am fairly sure the SC doesn't need to come off to replace them BUT it's a much more expensive and difficult to do right job than the SC coupler replacement so I hope for your sake it is "just" the coupler.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Burt Gummer (05-20-2022), Cwis (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 11:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Sounds like the dreaded coupler rattle and shut down clonk to me, although it is possible it is timing chains.
For the coupler fix/replacement the SC needs to come off as the SC snout needs to come off, although some have claimed that the snout can be removed by simply levering up the engine to access the problematic bolt on the underside of the snout.
If it is the timing chains I am fairly sure the SC doesn't need to come off to replace them BUT it's a much more expensive and difficult to do right job than the SC coupler replacement so I hope for your sake it is "just" the coupler.
I may have an independent shop take a look at it eventually. Do you know if SC coupler issues or timing belts affect performance at all and is it a must fix ASAP? Dealing with a lot of maintenance from the previous owner like brakes, tires, falling headliner, and small coolant leaks

Old 05-20-2022, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwis
I may have an independent shop take a look at it eventually. Do you know if SC coupler issues or timing belts affect performance at all and is it a must fix ASAP? Dealing with a lot of maintenance from the previous owner like brakes, tires, falling headliner, and small coolant leaks
The coupler rattle doesn't effect performance at all until/unless it gets really bad and has gouged big grooves in the SC shaft, and usually you can let it go for several 1,000 miles before it needs to be replaced.
The timing chain rattle is a different story and needs to be fixed pronto.
The rattle is caused by a worn chain where this wear causes the chain to become loose and flop about a little, especially where the tensioner has maxed out.
Once it gets too loose it can skip one or more teeth on the cam sprocket.
One tooth not real bad, just a bit out of time and it runs like a hairy dog.
Two or more skipped teeth and it's far enough out of time for valves to say hello to pistons and your engine is toast.

The following users liked this post:
Cwis (05-22-2022)