Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise V8 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Noise V8 Convertible

Hello,

I have this weird squeaky / creaky noise that I can hear with the top up... Any ideas what this could be. Dealership said they never heard anything like this. Car is brand new. It is not always present. I move the seats forward and it didn't help. Please help. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Old 10-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

It sounds like a bad window seal somewhere. I discovered without realising I had a problem that my windshield seal from the factory was not perfect. Had the window replace last May due to a stone chip the spidered the windshield. During the removal discovered that the gasket bead was not joined at the bottom centre of the windshield allowing an air gap. New one was done correctly and the interior got noticeably quieter.

Not sure if that is the problem you have but you definitely sound like you have a air leak somewhere

The following users liked this post:
belgiansteve (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

There's a thread about bad seals on the coupe hatch. Don't recall what sound that causes. And WhiteTardis recently pointed out that if the windshield is installed a bit too high, that can create extra noise.

The following users liked this post:
belgiansteve (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
It sounds like a bad window seal somewhere. I discovered without realising I had a problem that my windshield seal from the factory was not perfect. Had the window replace last May due to a stone chip the spidered the windshield. During the removal discovered that the gasket bead was not joined at the bottom centre of the windshield allowing an air gap. New one was done correctly and the interior got noticeably quieter.

Not sure if that is the problem you have but you definitely sound like you have a air leak somewhere
Good evening,

Thanks for your response. Incorrectly fitted windshield will make a creaky / squeaky noise like in my video? The noise is not always present. Sometimes it dissapears for a while then reappears again, etc... The car is brand new that's really annoying i should have test drove it with the top up. My fault for not doing that.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
There's a thread about bad seals on the coupe hatch. Don't recall what sound that causes. And WhiteTardis recently pointed out that if the windshield is installed a bit too high, that can create extra noise.
Where do I find these threads? How can I check if the windshield is properly mounted?

Old 10-30-2016, 09:19 PM

Also wanted to point out that the wind noise on the video is from me moving the phone too and the phone being near a/c vent... Even with ac off and center console down i have the same sqeaky sound sinilar tonthis video i found on youtube

Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a bad resistor in your flux capacitor. One a serious note, I did not hear anything in the first few videos (wearing headphones) but I did hear the dashboard rattle noise and that would drive me bat$hit crazy. Hope you get it fixed.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Oops, it was xdave not WhiteTardis who talked about the windshield installation...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...normal-171533/

Also, read this thread for seal issues...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-speed-164735/

Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Yep, I had a similar issue with a brand new vert.

Try https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pfleg.../dp/B007TNOQDI

Worked for me...marvellous stuff. I'm sure in the US you would have a similar product. Worth a try as it's cheap and useful, even if it doesn't solve your particular issue.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:33 PM

Well, I dropped off the car at the dealership this morning and the service manager went on a test drive with me and heard the noise within two or three minutes.. Of course the noise was non existent the first mile I drove with him then we heard it many times. They are going to start dismantling the front of the cabin to see where it's coming from. Hoping for a quick resolution. Driving the brand new XF at the moment. Decent car.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
Yep, I had a similar issue with a brand new vert.

Try https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pfleg.../dp/B007TNOQDI

Worked for me...marvellous stuff. I'm sure in the US you would have a similar product. Worth a try as it's cheap and useful, even if it doesn't solve your particular issue.
You rubbed this all over the outside seals of the doors? Thanks. I'll look into that if they cannot fix it but honestly i hope they can find a solution because it is driving me nuts and I only had the car for a few days. Sucks to be separated from it already after I paid so much money.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer
Sounds like a bad resistor in your flux capacitor. One a serious note, I did not hear anything in the first few videos (wearing headphones) but I did hear the dashboard rattle noise and that would drive me bat$hit crazy. Hope you get it fixed.
You couldn't hear it??? On the last video part 3 you can hear it as soon as you play the video. It is a squeaky creaky noise almost like something is loose and hitting plastic or something. The red dashboard video is not from my car...