Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well darn it

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'd guess they connected an OBD reader to check for codes and triggered the famous "won't go to sleep" situation. As sov211 says, disconnect the battery for half a minute to clear that, then fully charge the battery. CTEK is the most frequently recommended here. I have two: one for lithium (motorcycle) and one for lead/acid (car). The latter has an AGM setting.

After that, drive and enjoy.
This, right here. Do this soon and you will likely not have a problem again. I've had F-Types for 5 years and have not had a trickle charger on them at all. I do not drive much because I work from home and it's not uncommon for my car to sit for weeks when I travel. The only time I have even had a battery issue was when it came back from service and they didn't disconnect the ODBII devise correctly.

Old 04-27-2023, 12:40 PM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
A beautiful car indeed! When the car has a message stating that the battery is low, it is to be believed. But the reasons for a low charge in the battery are varied. One of the most common is quite simple: using the car infrequently, using it for very short trips, and worse, combining these two. The battery will never reach full charge and the result will be terrifying symptoms: multiple warning lights (for any system) , problems with lock and unlocking, the convertible roof not functioning properly….in 99.99% of cases the issue is in the battery or its connections, NOT in the car itself.

Look at the centre console area of your car. Towards the top you will see the red triangle of the 4-way flasher unit. This red triangle also serves to tell you that the electronics of the car have not gone to sleep and that the modules are therefore consuming battery energy. Lock your car. Look at that triangle. It will glow red for about 10-15 minutes and then will go out. This is NORMAL. If after 20 minutes or so the triangle is still lit, you have a battery drain. NOT NORMAL. One quite common cause of this is that a tech has plugged in an OBDII reader and has failed to shut it down before unplugging it. Easily cured by simply disconnecting the battery leads for 30 seconds; this resets all systems.

So, how to avoid a low battery? Start with a new, correct battery which is fully charged, repeat, fully charged. Buy a CTEK battery maintainer, not a “trickle charger”. Connect the CTEK unit permanently (instructions in several threads here). When the car is not in use, connect the CTEK unit to the wall outlet. It will check the battery, desulphate the battery and safely and gently recharge it and KEEP it charged. The CTEK unit can be left operating for months and months, in fact, permanently, without any danger of overcharging the battery.

The result? 100% of the time you have a fully charged battery and no issues with the 4,300,027 electronic modules in this car.
Yup What he said, all spectacular information. OH WAIT the most important part of the battery replacement is when you remove it, lay a thick towel over the boot latch, you do not want the boot/trunk to shut without a battery in the car.

Last edited by SS4PK; 04-27-2023 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJS (04-28-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 08:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Shouldn’t worry, we have an XE 250 PSI and that has done that a few times. We have never had a flat battery though.