Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

West LA Mechanic Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile West LA Mechanic Needed

Hi All,

I just purchased my 2019 F-Type R and wanted to scout some good, preferably honest, mechanics out near West LA. If anyone has any suggestions, would you please share?

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-28-2023, 10:48 AM
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm in the Pico / Fairfax area and I couldn't find anything close by that I felt comfortable with. I noticed an Orange county Jaguar club was having a meet up, so I went and asked the OC club owners for recommendations ..... every one of the members I spoke to told me to go to JP European in Huntington Beach. It's a 40 min. drive, but worth it. These guys were the only service garage that I could find with a 5 star Google and 5 star Yelp rating that specialize in Jaguars --- I called and spoke with Marc and made an appointment to have the metal coolant pipes installed. They performed the job perfectly, and were almost half the price that my local Jag dealer quoted. I can't recommend them enough and will be taking my FTR to them for all services in the future.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:47 AM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillweed
I'm in the Pico / Fairfax area and I couldn't find anything close by that I felt comfortable with. I noticed an Orange county Jaguar club was having a meet up, so I went and asked the OC club owners for recommendations ..... every one of the members I spoke to told me to go to JP European in Huntington Beach. It's a 40 min. drive, but worth it. These guys were the only service garage that I could find with a 5 star Google and 5 star Yelp rating that specialize in Jaguars --- I called and spoke with Marc and made an appointment to have the metal coolant pipes installed. They performed the job perfectly, and were almost half the price that my local Jag dealer quoted. I can't recommend them enough and will be taking my FTR to them for all services in the future.
I am looking for an independent in the LA area, as well. What did they charge you for changing out the pipes? Thanks!

Old 11-28-2023, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

My 2010 XKR 5.0L is just passing its 210,000th mile this week. It and all of my other cars (including my wife's and kids' cars) have been maintained by an independent mechanic in the San Fernando Valley at Sako's Automotive on Parthenia Street in Northridge. Sako also does body and paint work at his shop, and I've been using him for over 20 years including maintaing my X100 XKR and my De Tomaso Pantera. He knows what he's doing and does the research to take care of problems. I give him an awful lot of work, so if anyone wants a personal introduction, I would be happy to meet you over there and make the contact.

Old 11-28-2023, 03:53 PM

Synthesis -- I sent you a PM

Old 12-03-2023, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I think the HB one will be the closest to me too. I'll take it there for my next service. If i find anything closer to West LA I'll post here

Old 12-03-2023, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by OMGaNINJA
Hi All,

I just purchased my 2019 F-Type R and wanted to scout some good, preferably honest, mechanics out near West LA. If anyone has any suggestions, would you please share?

Thank you in advance!
I meant to mention that I had spoken to the owner of Mitchell's British Automotive in Culver City when I was looking into lowering my car and he seemed really nice and quite knowledgeable [and experienced]. He wasn't interested so I found somebody closer to home [east end of LA county]. I know he takes care of a lot of E types and his reviews are excellent, as well. You might want to check him out.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mina Gallery is in LA, they just did a pulley and intake on my R.

Old 12-06-2023, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by synthesis
I meant to mention that I had spoken to the owner of Mitchell's British Automotive in Culver City when I was looking into lowering my car and he seemed really nice and quite knowledgeable [and experienced]. He wasn't interested so I found somebody closer to home [east end of LA county]. I know he takes care of a lot of E types and his reviews are excellent, as well. You might want to check him out.
This was one of the businesses that had reviews that made me nervous (there's one in particular about an attorney, a video camera, and Mitchell's refusing to release the car because of a difference of opinion on brake condition that comes to mind - and it wasn't an isolated complaint like this). If you use them, could you please post your experience? Thanks.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dillweed
This was one of the businesses that had reviews that made me nervous (there's one in particular about an attorney, a video camera, and Mitchell's refusing to release the car because of a difference of opinion on brake condition that comes to mind - and it wasn't an isolated complaint like this). If you use them, could you please post your experience? Thanks.
I'll think I'll be trying JP's Auto in HB in January. I'll let you know how that goes.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:12 PM

Hi all, so i went to IMPORT MOTORWORX- WEST LA to get my headlights adjusted. (they were mis aligned and the computer was not using any Auto Features) and they did a great job for a reasonable price I think. It came out to about $160. and from my research that's on the lower end for this kind of fix.

Anyway, I'm planning to go to them to have my oil changed, but wanted to know if anyone has had any experience doing an oil change at Carmax (Its where I bought the car). How much it was and what oil was used?

Old 02-25-2024, 05:09 AM

I dunno if I'd trust Carmax to do an oil change on my FT-R. These cars do not use the usual 20/50 oil and there's lots to go wrong if it isn't done right using JLR spec oil. Why not do it yourself? It's sooooooo easy .... here's a thread with a video demonstrating how easy it is to do, and includes a link to buy your Mighty Vac and oil kits. If I remember correctly, my oil kit was around 140.00/shipped, and the MightyVac tool was around 100 bucks (240.00 total). I'd bet the dealer in SoCal charges at least 240.00 anyway (I think it's more like 350.00) --- so, for an initial 240 investment, you'd have changed your oil and filter 1x and gained the MightyVac tool to perform all your future oil changes for just the cost of the oil kit (140.00). AND you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that it was done correctly!
BTW. the MightyVac used in the video below is a type that requires an air-line .... I use the MightyVac model that has a hand-pump built into it, eliminating the need for an air-line, so don't let that scare you.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...hanges-269840/

Last edited by Dillweed; 02-25-2024 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:01 AM

I'm with you, in that I don't trust Carmax which partially why I asked to see if anyone had any experiences. I didn't realize it was an easy oil change. I don't have a private garage which makes it a little complicated, but i'll look into it.

Thanks for the reply