F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What areas need to be protected?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default What areas need to be protected?

Hey guys and you too Monet, I am trying to figure out what areas to cover with either 3M Pro or Xpel Ultimate. I think Complete Hood and Complete Front Fenders as well as Partial Rear Wheel Impact Area are certsinly needed. Don't think covering the headlights or rockers are necessary and I figure the Front Bumper is elastic enough to take it.

Opinions?

Complete Headlights - $xxx
Partial Hood & Fender - $xxx
Complete Hood - $xxx
Complete Front Fenders - $xxx
Front Bumper - $xxx
Complete Rockers - $xxx
Partial Rear Wheel Impact Area - $xxx

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
Hey guys and you too Monet, I am trying to figure out what areas to cover with either 3M Pro or Xpel Ultimate. I think Complete Hood and Complete Front Fenders as well as Partial Rear Wheel Impact Area are certsinly needed. Don't think covering the headlights or rockers are necessary and I figure the Front Bumper is elastic enough to take it.

Opinions?

Complete Hood - $xxx
Front Bumper - $xxx
Complete Rockers - $xxx

Thanks!
Actually the front bumper (nose) is the #1 area impact area. While it may be flexible, with it uncovered, you'll end up with black spots all over it from all the chipped paint revealing the black moulded plastic material underneath. If you have a black or very dark car, it won't be as noticeable.

On my white car, it was a must.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Hey guys and you too Monet, I am trying to figure out what areas to cover with either 3M Pro or Xpel Ultimate. I think Complete Hood and Complete Front Fenders as well as Partial Rear Wheel Impact Area are certsinly needed. Don't think covering the headlights or rockers are necessary and I figure the Front Bumper is elastic enough to take it. Opinions? Complete Headlights - $xxx Partial Hood & Fender - $xxx Complete Hood - $xxx Complete Front Fenders - $xxx Front Bumper - $xxx Complete Rockers - $xxx Partial Rear Wheel Impact Area - $xxx Thanks!
I think your list is good.

I have done the following:
Complete hood
Front bumper (including front spoiler, etc.)
Complete front fenders
Rocker panels
Headlights
Door mirrors
Area behind rear wheel (not necessary I think because there is a small mudguard)
Rear spoiler

If you can put up with the seam you should also do the A Pillars.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Opinions?

Complete Hood - $xxx
Front Bumper - $xxx
Complete Rockers - $xxx

Thanks!

My installer recommended all what you had listed with eXpel Ultimate. I was quoted $1900.00. I received a discount since I've used him in the past for 2 other cars.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 355rockit
My installer recommended all what you had listed with eXpel Ultimate. I was quoted $1900.00. I received a discount since I've used him in the past for 2 other cars.
Sounds about right.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do the hood

I had the nose and mirrors done on my F/R before the car was delivered. Took a 2000 mile trip, got some rock chips on hood, now having hood done after the fact. Did not have the hood done on my 2007 Corvette and never had a problem, but I highly recommend getting the hood done on the F!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by changingup
I had the nose and mirrors done on my F/R before the car was delivered. Took a 2000 mile trip, got some rock chips on hood, now having hood done after the fact. Did not have the hood done on my 2007 Corvette and never had a problem, but I highly recommend getting the hood done on the F!
Yes, the hood for sure! But don't think headlights or rockers.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

If one is going to the trouble and expense of having Paint Protection Film applied... if you don't PPF the rockers, you will definitely regret saving the few bills.

Similar to StealthPilot, I have done the following:
Full Hood
Full Front Bumper (including Front Spoiler and Beauty Ring around grill)
Headlights
Complete Front Fenders
Door mirrors
Side Rocker Panels
Rear Lower Rockers Panels (behind rear tires), and
Rear Spoiler

Second to the front nose/bumper of the car, the second highest impact area is the rocker panel right in front of the rear wheel well. This area takes a lot of abuse from debris kicked up by your front tires. The stock F-Type has a patch of PPF here, but its not large enough to cover the impact zone.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

I did;

Full Hood
Front Bumper (Foosh is right, even though his car is white and mine is Stratus Grey)
Full Fenders
Door Mirrors
Headlights (I would if I was you)
Rocker Panels

Good luck!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-03-2015 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (04-04-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM

The Xpel clear-bar was installed on my car yesterday. The installer did a 1 piece for the hood. Template for the F-Type for Xpel was 3 pieces. He said it was tough to do it with 1 piece, but came out great. Next week I will take it back for touch-ups (minor bubbles and any trimming if needed). So far very few bubbles given the entire front end, rocker panels and behind tires were done. Also mirrors and lights were done as well. The 'R' had a full detail inside and out the day before.

Xpel makes sill protector as well that can be bought on Amazon for $15.00. I may apply these to the sills and the lip of the trunk opening.

Attached Thumbnails What areas need to be protected?-img_20150409_152048.jpg   What areas need to be protected?-img_20150409_152324.jpg  
Old 04-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

The hood is a little tricky to do in one piece. My installer had to do it twice, and he's very experienced. Definitely do the headlights though. A must, IMO.

Last edited by deltagroup; 04-10-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Once I get my new F, I intend to get the PPF film thing done.
Not too sure which way to go yet; expel, suntec, nanofusion etc. I was quoted at the end of last year around £3,500 ($5,200) to do the whole car!

My old F picked up 'gravel rash' on the headlight, bonnet, boot lid, spoiler and on the rear inner lip of the wheel arch. I don't 'tailgate'; Our roads down South are all twisty country roads, some with grass growing down the middle and not as well kept as some of the roads I have driven on in the US.

Considering the cost of the car and the fact that the panels are Aluminium I feel it's a false economy, that is if you can afford it, to go for a complete cover.
Murphy's law states that the part of the car you don't have covered will attract a rash!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

I've already told me dealer that I want the entire front end protected (and the windows tinted) before I take delivery. Using XPel Ultimate I was told it'll take 2 days and I was quoted $2300. Bumper, Hood (1 piece) Fenders, and lights. Everything is to be rolled too, so no edges in view.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Dis the dealer say anything about doing thenclear bra right away? From what ive been told you want to wait 30-45 days prior to doing any film protection as the paint needs to outgas. Though i guess if your car has been sitting at port for a few weeks this should be a non issue.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Was this done from a virgin roll or from templates. If from templates, I believe they are a bit shy i.e they don't go round the endues of the panel. I would be interested to see where the film stops and the paint starts.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
Was this done from a virgin roll or from templates. If from templates, I believe they are a bit shy i.e they don't go round the endues of the panel. I would be interested to see where the film stops and the paint starts.
For mine, the hood was done with a 'virgin roll' to do a 1 piece and for the rockers, headlights, mirrors, front bumper, behind wheel areas were templates.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Using my masterful skills in MS Paint, it seems like the most common areas people are doing are what I circled in red. Has anyone done the areas I circled in green or any other spots?

Attached Thumbnails What areas need to be protected?-004.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JarodL
Using my masterful skills in MS Paint, it seems like the most common areas people are doing are what I circled in red. Has anyone done the areas I circled in green or any other spots?
I had the rear area circled in green on the pic done. The installer said most people don't do that area since there are rock deflectors behind the rear wheels. I insisted and had it done.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JarodL
I added a 2" strip across and straddling the trunk lid edge.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I would think the rear wing might be worth doing, since it pops up and is subjected to oncoming air and therefore possible debris.

Quick Reply: What areas need to be protected?