F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What areas need to be protected?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I would think the rear wing might be worth doing, since it pops up and is subjected to oncoming air and therefore possible debris.
And that is exactly why I covered the edge of the spoiler/trunk lid. I could have covered the entire wing, but didn't think it necessary.

In my first month of ownership, on separate occasions, I found two small chips had struck the top of the spoiler (both hits straddling the edge). I wrote off the first chip as a random, get-over-it hit. After the second hit though, I reckoned the air stream was handily directing debris like a laser into the top of the spoiler while in deployment mode. Figured I could either cover the edge or stay undeployed. I chose the former.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Once I get my new F, I intend to get the PPF film thing done.
Not too sure which way to go yet; expel, suntec, nanofusion etc. I was quoted at the end of last year around £3,500 ($5,200) to do the whole car!

My old F picked up 'gravel rash' on the headlight, bonnet, boot lid, spoiler and on the rear inner lip of the wheel arch. I don't 'tailgate'; Our roads down South are all twisty country roads, some with grass growing down the middle and not as well kept as some of the roads I have driven on in the US.

Considering the cost of the car and the fact that the panels are Aluminium I feel it's a false economy, that is if you can afford it, to go for a complete cover.
Murphy's law states that the part of the car you don't have covered will attract a rash!
Re sprays cost less than that. Just a thought.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Re sprays cost less than that. Just a thought.

I also battled with the cost of a pretty thorough clear bra, versus the cost of a respray. In the end I figured I'd cover the front end and protect it since even after a respray, I'd probably get more chips and be right back in the same boat. The protection should give me a little piece of mind and keep the car looking good for quite some time to come.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

The whole cost compared with respray is the wrong way of looking at it.

With the clear bra your car looks pristine all the time because it won't chip.

The only way to replicate that without a clearbra is to respray every time you get a chip.

If you do anything short of that then you are driving around with a chipped paint finish which means your car looks less good.

So the comparison is foolish in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

''Re sprays cost less than that. Just a thought.''

I think you may underestimate the cost of spraying aluminium, plus the cost of removing any small 'dings' that may be absorbed by the PPF.

Tryin to match IRR would be a pig to say the least.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

On a related protective note, my protective film guy just redid one of my headlamps. The top edge had lifted, so he put down a new protective film (3M Pro this time).

As he was removing the 9-month old film from the F-Type's headlamp, he commented, "Now that came off a little too easily." I asked him what he meant. He said that the film came off the headlamp as if the film's glue had not adhered properly. I asked him if he had ever encountered such lifting before (peeling off easily with no adhesive residue left behind), to which he replied, "Yeah, when I cover the headlamps of new Porsches at the dealership. Your headlamp has a similar feel." (I agree that the Jag's headlamps have a very smooth feel to them.)

He asked me whether the F-Type mighty have some sort of coating on its headlamps (similar to the hydrophobic coating he knows Porsche uses). I said I didn't know. He finished up applying the new film by fashioning a small radius at the very tip of the headlamp film and cautioned that I might want to wash the headlamp starting from the bottom or side of each lamp and working towards the top. (I already do that.)

Any of you familiar with the issue? Any lifting issues re covering your Jag's headlamps? For those with film on a Porsche, any lifting issues?