F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What body changes have there been to the F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default What body changes have there been to the F-Type?

I don't pay close enough attention to each model year, but I have lazily noted a few body styles or changes to the F-Type, YoY.

But I'm not paying that close attention, and what are factory alterations vs additional body modification options that are out there?

Is it just the trim below the door? What nose or rear changes have their been? Sorry if this exists in one easy to find place.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Project 7 and the SVR aside, the only visible changes appear to be the side skirts.

Cambo can probably advise on changes in part numbers to visually similar panels indicating updates.

The facelift that's just out would therefore appear to be the main change.

Hopefully the bonnet is closer to being the correct shape on the new models too.

Last edited by F-typical; 03-13-2017 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Spellunk
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (03-15-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

For AWD, the hoods vents had to be moved outwards a bit. Not sure when the body-colored rear valance became an option, don't think it was originally available. AWD side skirts are wider than non-AWD, I think, unless that's a model-year thing.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

On the AWD R model, I know the bonnet vents are moved outward and further down to accommodate the extra engine height caused by the forward part of the AWD system. They are also body colour except for the mesh. I learned that here on this forum. The bump in the bonnet appears wider as well.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

man, if I had the time... I am so lazy with so many ideas. I would love to see a list of every make and model of every luxury car by price. I don't think that exists, but I get relatively confused with Lexus, Merc, Audi, and Infinity producing so many new models to reach into sub $40K markets....

But I would love a visual representation of these main F-Type model changes.... I am not sure if I even noticed the major nose changes. LOL My attention to detail must suck.

I guess the only major change I noted was the skirts. No offense, but I don't think I like them.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
man, if I had the time... I am so lazy with so many ideas. I would love to see a list of every make and model of every luxury car by price. I don't think that exists, but I get relatively confused with Lexus, Merc, Audi, and Infinity producing so many new models to reach into sub $40K markets....

But I would love a visual representation of these main F-Type model changes.... I am not sure if I even noticed the major nose changes. LOL My attention to detail must suck.

I guess the only major change I noted was the skirts. No offense, but I don't think I like them.
I think many members feel the same way about the color matched side skirts and rear diffuser. Def made the car look a lot fatter for no reason

Old 03-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't pay close enough attention to each model year, but I have lazily noted a few body styles or changes to the F-Type, YoY.

But I'm not paying that close attention, and what are factory alterations vs additional body modification options that are out there?

Is it just the trim below the door? What nose or rear changes have their been? Sorry if this exists in one easy to find place.
Don't forget about the loss of a 'gill'...

Pre-MY2018:

Post MY2018:

Uncle Fishbits (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Not sure you can do the list by make without comparing them with their respective options for apples to apples.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-15-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Uncle Fishbits (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

As almost every design before it, you start with a near perfect car - the first F-Type.

You can't keep making the same looking car as everyone is wanting to be acknowledged for having the latest thing and outdoing the Joneses.

So you have to add something here, something there - make it look like this year's model vs last years.

Add HP. Better tech. But that isn't enough.

Keep adding stuff over time where the car hardly resembles its clean, original design.

MotorTrend summed it up best in 2016. 'Its only been a year and already they are F-ing with the looks of the car.'

Old 03-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

A couple observations;

- 1) there have been zero changes to the unibody that I'm aware of since inception

- 2) the only metal (aluminum) part that changed was the hood on the AWD models (engine sits higher necessitating the change) and the fenders on the SVR.

- 3) The AWD sills are wider (are the narrow ones still available on the V6 models?)

- 4) SVR fenders and nose are unique as is the P7 nose. All others got the same one until 2018 which now has the "updated nose" for non-SVR models with different ones for the V8 vs V6.

- 5) Body colored sills/splitter were always available as an option (my 2014 has them). Body colored diffuser was a change.

For the most part I think Jaguar has avoided drastic changes that completely mess up the design though I think the original is as pleasing as anything. Worst nose is the new V8 one IMO.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 03-16-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amr42
Don't forget about the loss of a 'gill'..

DAMMIT NOW I HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER OPINION ABOUT SOMETHING

Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Not sure you can do the list by make without comparing them with their respective options for apples to apples.
Exactly, this. Base MSRP would be so misrepresentative, especially when you get into the tuned or special models in BMW and Merc, or the difference between my base at 65K, and out the door 90K. LOL I hadn't thought of how high CA tax/license is.

I saw a weird Porsche the other day... pic below... EDIT: 50th anniversary edition. Pretty sure that wouldn't make the list.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

No sunroof after MY2015!
Early coupes (first 2 years) had sunroof or glass top. Any 100% hard tops exist?

Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
No sunroof after MY2015!
Early coupes (first 2 years) had sunroof or glass top. Any 100% hard tops exist?
Never had a sunroof, and they always had the glass roof. 100% hard tops were available early on, then not for a year or two and now, I believe, available again on the base model again..

Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

My coupe was built in August 2014. It has an aluminium roof.

The glass roof was the only Option at the time, but while it looked good and did make for a lighter interior, specifying the lighter coloured headlining had the same effect (inside the car at least) and was an order of magnitude less expensive.

Noting that the roof panel isn't structural, and that aluminium is noted for being light, the option to have a Carbonfibre panel always struck me as a marketing-led feature.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

So is the solid roof or is it the glass roof that comes standard on the base?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think up to MY 2016 the solid roof was standard and the panoramic (glass) roof was an option (approx $1,500), then from MY 2017 onwards the pano roof became standard and the solid roof became a no-cost option.

Edit/update.
Looking at the latest US F-Type info (shows as MY2017) here: http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-type/index.html,
it seems the solid roof is standard on the base coupe and the pano roof is standard on the Premium, S and R, per this blurb:
PANORAMIC GLASS ROOF
Introducing even more natural light and airiness to the interior, a full width panoramic roof is standard on all F-TYPE Premium, S and R Coupe models. For increased seclusion, should it be required, the roof features a manually sliding "black-out" blind.
Dunno about MY2016 though, let alone MY2018.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

No sunroof after MY2015!
Early coupes (first 2 years) had sunroof or glass top.
I quote and correct myself: I think the first 2 years of couples had a small glass panel in the all-aluminum roof as an option (not an opening "sun roof"). I'm pretty sure I test drove a 2015 coupe in August 2015 which had the small glass panel in the roof. I had driven the all-glass roof and that's the one I wanted.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I quote and correct myself: I think the first 2 years of couples had a small glass panel in the all-aluminum roof as an option (not an opening "sun roof"). I'm pretty sure I test drove a 2015 coupe in August 2015 which had the small glass panel in the roof. I had driven the all-glass roof and that's the one I wanted.
As far as I know the coupe has only had one and the same type of glass roof, no matter which year and make - and it is exactly the same glass roof as also the 18 model has as an option.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
As far as I know the coupe has only had one and the same type of glass roof, no matter which year and make - and it is exactly the same glass roof as also the 18 model has as an option.
Yep, there is and has been only one ever "glass panel" on the coupe, AKA the panoramic roof, there has never been a "small" panel.