F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car is most comparable to the F-type?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I'm surprised no one has said the Corvette Stingray yet. Similar performance, size and features. The interiors are actually pretty close as they both take a 1 + 1 approach and even have matching center grab handles.

Otherwise, the V8 Vantage in any configuration would be my pick.
I have no data to support it, but I dont think u get too much cross shopping between corvettes and f-types. factors include: american vs european/british, brand prestige, blue collar vs white collar. it's the same reason I don't think vettes are crossed shopped with porsches. but pure speculation from my part, no hard data to support it....

The following users liked this post:
obriendob (04-09-2015)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I disagree. I think Porsche, Corvette (having grown rapidly in prestige since the C6), and now F-Type are increasingly cross-shopped. I definitely did with the F-Type and new Stingray being the top two.

On the Corvette Forum, there are a significant number of people saying the same thing.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

on forums, I probably agree with you that these cars are crossed shopped. but forum members are car enthusiasts. My bet is for the general public, you're either a vette guy or a porsche guy or a "I want something different (Jag, AM, Maserati)" guy. Just like the forum demographic is mostly male, but I think quite a few females are buying F-Types, especially the convertibles.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 933 Likes on 611 Posts

With the F-type slated to arrive in many flavors, from a 4 cylinder to the V8 AWD R it will compete in a wide spectrum of the market. If the flagship V8 AWD R (and, say AWD R-S GT) achieve some outstanding performance stats to compete with other top performance cars such as the Nissan GT-R and Porsche turbo S the whole variants of F-Types will also be more sought after for the prestige that will follow. I sure hope Jaguar produces a killer V8 AWD R-S GT.

Last edited by DGL; 11-07-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm surprised no one has said the Corvette Stingray yet. Similar performance, size and features. The interiors are actually pretty close as they both take a 1 + 1 approach and even have matching center grab handles.

Actually, I did think about the Corvette. The fact that the F type R had another 100 horses sold me, but I can't swear I wouldn't have bought a 2015 ZO6 if it was available instead.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

And then you would have had 100 more horses than the R, for good or bad, probably the latter.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I cross-shopped the M4, Vette, Cayman and 911 with the F-Type when I was looking at a new car to replace my Boxster. My wife hated the Vette (just cause it was a Vette), the M4 I didn't really look at much, and the 911 and Cayman were close, but just didn't give you a kick in the pants like the R. If something hadn't had worked out at the dealership at the last minute, I would have taken my money and A) bought a 911 or Cayman GTS off the lot if I could get a great deal or, B) buy a Vette and saved $30k.

I'll just say I'm happy where I ended up, but it is always nice to have options.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I looked at the new Corvette, the Cayman, and the AM Vantage V8 before getting my V6-S. All are excellent cars. The AM seemed a bit long in the tooth in styling and tech, the Vette didn't have the build quality, and the Cayman didn't excite me. The Jag had it all.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Between the "Good To Be Bad" commercials (which Jaguar politically correctly but/and foolishly dropped the villains campaign!) and a couple of test drives - not to mention the Jeremy Clarkson F-Type "test drive" of the convert (and numerous other reviews) - in my opinion there was NO competition as I instantly had a crush which culminated in my F-Type V6S. Cheaper than an affair...

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it - Oscar Wilde.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-09-2014 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:15 AM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I have no data to support it, but I dont think u get too much cross shopping between corvettes and f-types. factors include: american vs european/british, brand prestige, blue collar vs white collar. it's the same reason I don't think vettes are crossed shopped with porsches. but pure speculation from my part, no hard data to support it....
Well I for one cross shopped it. Hell, had I not ordered the R coupe a week prior to the Z06 price being announce, I probably would have gone with it. Incredible performance for the dollar. I'll add that I cross shopped the 911, Cayman, Vantage, Evora S as well.

Edit: I'll add that I didn't go with the Stingray also because I was really turned off by the dealerships. The fact that almost a year later and 37,000 cars produced, they were still having a "market adjustment" tacked on really irked me. The car is great, but it is not unique or in short supply. So no way was I paying over MSRP or even just MSRP. The F-type won out on all fronts for me. Price, looks, performance, limited.

Last edited by LynxFX; 11-09-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I cross shopped the stingray, sl amg, Mas gt, even a used ferrari cali.

Didn't even think about 911. Too many of them around here.

The 'vette and the Mas were way too tight in the interior... I didn't fit.

The sl didn't have the character of the f-type.

I still love the ferarri.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I shopped the C63 AMG, the Cayman GTS and the F-Type, the Cayman was a let down in terms of luxury, although very nimble. The C63 was a 2014, cheaper than the Jag, had an engine growl out of this World, and the F-Type the sales man handed the demo unit to me over the weekend. Guess what I did on the following Monday?

Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

If Jaguar had a program targeting qualified buyers by giving them a demo F-Type for the weekend, they would sell a lot of cars on Mondays. One test drive at a Jaguar event hooked me. I couldn’t believe I actually wanted a Jaguar because it was never in consideration. Everything else I drove was boring in comparison (BMW, Audi, Mercedes). I think a lot of people would come to the same conclusion if they had time behind the wheel. Of course I am torn because I would hate to lose the exclusivity of this car which is kind of cool!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

Same experience here, as I was not considering an F-Type purchase. I went to the dealer because I had never seen the car in person, and I've still have not seen another on the road 5 months after taking delivery. I was pretty much convinced to go with the C7.

Test drives of both the V6 and V8 blew me away, and I was more attracted to the V6 for reasons other than price. I went back 2 days later to seal the deal.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Same experience here, as I was not considering an F-Type purchase. I went to the dealer because I had never seen the car in person, and I've still have not seen another on the road 5 months after taking delivery. I was pretty much convinced to go with the C7.

Test drives of both the V6 and V8 blew me away, and I was more attracted to the V6 for reasons other than price. I went back 2 days later to seal the deal.
To me it's remarkable how scarce they seem to be. Nearly 5 months after my first test drive, I've seen two. One convertible while on business trip in San Diego and one convertible locally.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo
To me it's remarkable how scarce they seem to be. Nearly 5 months after my first test drive, I've seen two. One convertible while on business trip in San Diego and one convertible locally.
I see convertibles fairly frequently now but it took awhile to see a coupe. Surprisingly I saw two different coupes at the same intersection a couple hours apart. I do like that they are still scarce.

This is in west LA.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

As an owner of both the F Type V8 S & SLS AMG roadster, they're quite similar cars. Both are rear wheel drive front engine, two seaters with V8's under the hood that make great sounds, both have carbon ceramic brakes and are almost identical in terms of performance. The major difference is price.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm actually going back and forth between the f type s/c v8 and the c7 z06..

I like the A8 trans in both but the lift off roof in the z06 coupe is a favorite on my c6....

The styling of the f type coupe is calling big time yet the open air f type coupe is a huge advantage for summer enjoyment...

I've got time and of course two different priorities but about the same price and it's close both being 2 seater sports cars.

Believe it or not a non launch edition red alfa 4c is a dark horse but I think it might be too small and a bit too raw not to mention slower on the track even though it's track biased...sort of a weird occurrence ...plus the roof doesn't come off and the targa showcar was a dog...

The f type v8 both in coupe and convertible form screams sensuality in sheet metal that can not be denied.....I really find it an alluring design beyond performance that might be a tenth or two quicker....on the street....as a who cares..

The German sports cars leave me cold and the upcoming Maserati ascari (sp) too far off and seemingly a bit too large and more GT than sports car....

Last edited by JBsC6; 11-26-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsC6
I'm actually going back and forth between the f type s/c v8 and the c7 z06..

I like the A8 trans in both but the lift off roof in the z06 coupe is a favorite on my c6....

The styling of the f type coupe is calling big time yet the open air f type coupe is a huge advantage for summer enjoyment...

I've got time and of course two different priorities but about the same price and it's close both being 2 seater sports cars.

Believe it or not a non launch edition red alfa 4c is a dark horse but I think it might be too small and a bit too raw not to mention slower on the track even though it's track biased...sort of a weird occurrence ...plus the roof doesn't come off and the targa showcar was a dog...

The f type v8 both in coupe and convertible form screams sensuality in sheet metal that can not be denied.....I really find it an alluring design beyond performance that might be a tenth or two quicker....on the street....as a who cares..

The German sports cars leave me cold and the upcoming Maserati ascari (sp) too far off and seemingly a bit too large and more GT than sports car....

2015 Corvette Z06: GTR Beware! The High Performance Bargain Benchmark is Back! - Ignition Ep. 119 - YouTube
JB'sc6,

I think where the F Type is going to serve you better is when you just want to cruise around town and be mild and not wild. The Z06 (and I'm of course speculating here since I haven't driven this Z06) might be too much car for when you want that civilian ride and character. If you're looking for a 80/20 track beast, the Z06 is probably the car for you but as you may or may not know the F Type is not a hardcore sportscar like the Vette but more of a GT. That blend that a GT offers in my mind gives you more car for your money. Either way though, you will be getting an awesome car. Just an observation.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, if the new Z06 maintains a similar character as the last generation, which I owned and loved, it's great daily driving car other than the very large tires had a scary tendency to hydroplane badly in heavy rain. If you drove it very conservatively, the gas mileage was also in the mid-20's on the highway (turning 1500 rpm in 6th). If you have the discipline to control your right foot, there are zero street driving issues--same with the R.

One significant difference between the C7 and C6 versions was that the latter was ONLY available as a manual. The A8 in the C7 Z06 appears to be about the same as the ZF unit in the F-Type. Also, the new Z06 LT4 engine will also run 4, 6, or 8-cylinders depending upon power demand, and according to an interview with the Corvette Chief Engineer, it's designed to be equally capable as a daily driver, which can taken straight to the track.

The more I think about it, I think it is likely to be the major competition to the F-Type Rs in the U.S. On the track, the Z06 has no real competition (I don't count the ultra exotics as street cars and start at 2X the price) in the U.S. The price point to the Rs is about identical.

Quick Reply: What car is most comparable to the F-type?