F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What coolant? (Orange needed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What coolant? (Orange needed)

My wife drives a 2019 RR Velar, and since I'm not part of any RR forum I'd figure you guys would be smart enough to guide me in the right direction. (Plus you know...JLR).

Her car is on occasion displaying low coolant so I want to top it off. She's a few thousand miles from the next oil change so trying to avoid the dealer hassle now.

The car calls for orange 50/50 XLC coolant. I'm finding some pink stuff, and green stuff that is supposed to be compatible, but the car definitely has orange in it.

Any recommendations on where I could buy the proper orange coolant? Autozone wasn't helpful as they "looked it up" and sold her the green stuff.

Appreciate any help.

Last edited by 2015Coupe; 12-22-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

The "which coolant" debate is nearly as long, frequent and confusing as the never ending "which oil" debate!
Anyway, as far as I can figure out any long-life pink orange or red coolant will be perfectly good and it doesn't have to be the brew recommended by JLR.
Per my Owner Handbook the specified coolant is:
"50% mixture of water and antifreeze, specification WSS M97B44 (coloured orange) Extended Life Coolant."

Conversely many maybe even most green coolants are no good and should not be used in our engines, although to confuse things there are now some green coolants which are OK!
See this page for example: https://www.liveabout.com/antifreeze...r-green-262558
I have only ever used local Aussie brands Penrite and Nulon long life "pink" coolant in all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type V6) and never had a single cooling system problem. Both say on the back of the bottle "meets Ford WSS M97B44".
Bottom line - if it says on the bottle "meets Ford WSS M97B44" then it's good to go regardless of the colour or brand.

The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The "which coolant" debate is nearly as long, frequent and confusing as the never ending "which oil" debate!
Anyway, as far as I can figure out any long-life pink orange or red coolant will be perfectly good and it doesn't have to be the brew recommended by JLR.
Per my Owner Handbook the specified coolant is:
"50% mixture of water and antifreeze, specification WSS M97B44 (coloured orange) Extended Life Coolant."

Conversely many maybe even most green coolants are no good and should not be used in our engines, although to confuse things there are now some green coolants which are OK!
See this page for example: https://www.liveabout.com/antifreeze...r-green-262558
I have only ever used local Aussie brands Penrite and Nulon long life "pink" coolant in all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type V6) and never had a single cooling system problem. Both say on the back of the bottle "meets Ford WSS M97B44".
Bottom line - if it says on the bottle "meets Ford WSS M97B44" then it's good to go regardless of the colour or brand.
Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate all of the info.

I guess my only concern at this point is getting some orange colored coolant to top it off a little until her next service. If I put the green stuff (even the new "good" green stuff) in there, then it'll look funny to the dealer with the orange and green. I'd like to avoid any warranty questions as we all know the reliability of RR's isn't that great and I need that warranty in tact. lol

Old 12-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate all of the info.

I guess my only concern at this point is getting some orange colored coolant to top it off a little until her next service. If I put the green stuff (even the new "good" green stuff) in there, then it'll look funny to the dealer with the orange and green. I'd like to avoid any warranty questions as we all know the reliability of RR's isn't that great and I need that warranty in tact. lol
Can you or the missus take the bottle of green stuff back to Autozone and swap it for a bottle of the red/pink/orange stuff?
It doesn't really matter if it is red or pink or orange, the JLR dealership service department is not going to spot any minor colour change from topping up with a bit of something that is not the exact same colour as the factory fill, as it will very quickly completely mix in with the existing coolant.
Also remember to dilute it with distilled water, either 50/50 or 33/67 (see the instructions on the bottle), you can buy a big bottle of distilled water at the same auto parts store.
If you / the missus has already opened the bottle of green stuff and used some then just put it down to experience!
If all else fails you can top up with straight distilled water until you can get some red/pink/orange stuff.

Edit - forgot to add - the most important thing is to find out why it is displaying the "low coolant" message.
You could have a slow coolant leak somewhere which could suddenly turn into a major gusher - a small split in a coolant line could tear wide open - and if this happens and you don't shut down the engine immediately it's goodnight nurse!

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-22-2019 at 06:40 PM.
2015Coupe (12-24-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 10:56 PM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

If the tank is just a little low add water ! It’s a 50/50 mix and a 51/49 isn’t gonna hurt. But get it checked JLR vehicles love coolant leaks. Trust me I know.

2015Coupe (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015Coupe
Her car is on occasion displaying low coolant so I want to top it off. She's a few thousand miles from the next oil change so trying to avoid the dealer hassle now.
I think your approach to this issue is wrong. Low coolant is a serious issue because you are not certain where it went. Do you have a leak? Are you burning coolant due to a gasket leak? Also "a few thousand miles from the next oil change" is a poor rationale to avoid servicing the car - you are trying to save around 20$ in additional oil change costs on $75,000 asset.

My recommendation is to take it to the dealer to diagnose your cooling system (they will pressure test it to eliminate the chance of leaks) and change engine oil early at the same time.

Keep in mind that overheating your engine as a result of low coolant will likely cause irreversible engine damage and the dealer might not honor warranty if it can be shown that you were negligent and kept driving days and weeks after "low coolant" warning first appeared.

2015Coupe (12-24-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
... JLR vehicles love coolant leaks. Trust me I know.
Of the four Jags I've owned only one has suffered a coolant leak - my 2001 XK8 split its expansion tank at the seams, a known weakness. My 2004 XKR did burst an oil pipe, but that's another story.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Of the four Jags I've owned only one has suffered a coolant leak - my 2001 XK8 split its expansion tank at the seams, a known weakness. My 2004 XKR did burst an oil pipe, but that's another story.
my 10’XKR had water pump failure twice, lower cooling hose once, expansion tank hose once. My F-type has had a coolant leak already once and I smell coolant again from time to time but it could be residual from last leak as the engine cover liner had been soaked, I removed the cover now to see if the smell returns

Old 12-23-2019, 03:56 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
my 10’XKR had water pump failure twice, lower cooling hose once, expansion tank hose once.
Ah, I forgot, my 2010 XKR needed a new water pump, too. But that's a (bloody expensive!) Ford part.
No failed hoses, though.

2015Coupe (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Can you or the missus take the bottle of green stuff back to Autozone and swap it for a bottle of the red/pink/orange stuff?
It doesn't really matter if it is red or pink or orange, the JLR dealership service department is not going to spot any minor colour change from topping up with a bit of something that is not the exact same colour as the factory fill, as it will very quickly completely mix in with the existing coolant.
Also remember to dilute it with distilled water, either 50/50 or 33/67 (see the instructions on the bottle), you can buy a big bottle of distilled water at the same auto parts store.
If you / the missus has already opened the bottle of green stuff and used some then just put it down to experience!
If all else fails you can top up with straight distilled water until you can get some red/pink/orange stuff.

Edit - forgot to add - the most important thing is to find out why it is displaying the "low coolant" message.
You could have a slow coolant leak somewhere which could suddenly turn into a major gusher - a small split in a coolant line could tear wide open - and if this happens and you don't shut down the engine immediately it's goodnight nurse!
Yeah, that's the plan. Just to top off with some orange. I see my F150 uses orange too, so shouldn't be too hard to get at AutoZone.

And I'll have her mention in the issue at the next service.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I think your approach to this issue is wrong. Low coolant is a serious issue because you are not certain where it went. Do you have a leak? Are you burning coolant due to a gasket leak? Also "a few thousand miles from the next oil change" is a poor rationale to avoid servicing the car - you are trying to save around 20$ in additional oil change costs on $75,000 asset.

My recommendation is to take it to the dealer to diagnose your cooling system (they will pressure test it to eliminate the chance of leaks) and change engine oil early at the same time.

Keep in mind that overheating your engine as a result of low coolant will likely cause irreversible engine damage and the dealer might not honor warranty if it can be shown that you were negligent and kept driving days and weeks after "low coolant" warning first appeared.
Understood.

It's a lease, was kind of a dealer demo, there was a couple thousand miles on it and the dealer did an oil change when we got it. They were still able to "sell" it as a lease though.

So anyway, we haven't had a first oil change yet (since we've owned it), and the car is reading about 2k miles until the next oil change (the RR goes off of mile to service, not % of oil life left). The coolant level looks ok in the tank actually. So it's either a bad sensor, or possibly as the coolant comes in and out of the expansion tank it goes low. Now it's not always low, just sometimes pops up. But she's stated she been watching the temps and it's never moving, so temp seems to be OK. My guess it's just slightly low and sometimes kicks on then. Why though, I don't know. Never seen any obvious signs of a leak. Not blowing smoke or anything serious.