F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the manual tranny provide that you can't get in pure manual mode in auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick1
Good day ladies and gents.
Brand new today to this forum.
What great news that the F Type will now be getting a proper (manual) transmission.
I currently drive an 05 Porsche Boxster manual trans bought new so it will be 10 years next year.
Still looks and drives like new.
Really love the car but I was never a fan of convertibles, but I bought it after a test drive because I loved the way it handled, sounded, and made me feel as one with the car.
I would have bought a Cayman hardtop but they didn't exist at the time.
I think the F-type coupe is one of the best looking cars on the planet.
Last night I didn't get to bed until 3am because I was watching Youtube videos on the F-type after I read that they will be offering a manual.
They did an amazing job on the exhaust note, love the growl and the pops and burbles when you let off the gas and downshift.
I was set on getting the new generation Porsche 911, but I personally think the F-type looks so much more exotic than the dated 911.
Never driven an F-type but that will change soon.
I am interested in the base F-type or maybe the S, but not the monster R.
I've read the "S" is the sweetspot of the group.
Any comments on that?
How does the F-type drive?
I've driven Corvettes, Porsches, BMW's had an NSX, just wonder how it handles compared to other sports cars.
cheers

This F-Type - like the NSX in my opinion (which I have owned two) - is VERY special indeed. All it took for me was 1 look and 2 test drives to flat-out convince me (not that I needed any convincing whatsoever) that this F-Type was head and shoulders above anything else out there. FOR ME and NOT strictly from any performance stand-point (surely not based on any numbers) but from the heart! I couldn't sleep some nights thinking about it - after driving the coupe - and dreamt about the F-Type more nights than I can remember. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration but not by much.

Jaguar got everything right (OK, maybe not everything) and I got hooked on the V6S which has more options than I had originally intended but my dealer provided me with an offer I couldn't refuse. And didn't. And not looking back no matter what's to follow. (i.e. AWD, etc.).

The following users liked this post:
F-TypeRookie (11-24-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS2015
That's really good to hear. Don't get me wrong, I love my car even though its only a 328 xdrive with a manual. But lately BMW's designs haven't really done much for me. They're nice and all, but they're starting to seem a bit boring to be honest. I want something that's special, at least to me. I went and looked at the F-types yesterday and although I didn't drive one (snow and ice all over the place) I walked away wanting more. They had an Italian Racing Red Coupe R that I sat in that was still in delivery mode so only the driver's door would open and it felt awesome just to sit in it. Mine would be a summer only car but I'll use it for road trips in the summer so when I go back to look at it again I'm going to take my luggage to make sure it'll fit in the boot. How has the reliability been with the F-types? Anything big to watch out for? Any options that are a must? Also what's the age demographic like on it? I'm kind of young and I worry a little that driving a Jag would age me slightly?
Man, Im 19 and am hustling and bustling to get this car acquired. Probably be 20 when I get it with the shipping time and just how well business is. Jag's still have a small "old man" name to them, but the second someone sees and F-Type, asks what the **** is that? and they learn its a Jag.... coolness level to the moon lol.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
As a recovering BMW-holic who has consumed way too many of them, if you do go with the F-Type, I think you'll be amazed. In some sense, the F-Type has a "personality" that harkens back to things similar to what started the BMW-buzz in the car world many years ago, and definitely the Jaguar E-Type before that. To me, today's BMW's have become devoid of that special character and uniqueness.
+2

People ask me all the time why I stopped buying BMWs. I tell them that I haven't changed, but BMW have, for the worse! The last F30 3 series I test drove felt like an Impala: an extremely capable Impala to be sure, but big, cushy and numb with an off-balance engine (it happened to be the 4 cylinder turbo). The only two seater left in the range is the Z4 and that's more XK than F.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by undfeatable
Man, Im 19 and am hustling and bustling to get this car acquired. Probably be 20 when I get it with the shipping time and just how well business is. Jag's still have a small "old man" name to them, but the second someone sees and F-Type, asks what the **** is that? and they learn its a Jag.... coolness level to the moon lol.
Good to hear. I'm 25, but I'll probably be 27 or 28 by the time I actualy get it. I take a really long time to decide though and have other commitments and priorities that need to come first. This whole being a grown-up thing kind of sucks sometimes lol.

I went to go look at it again today. Love those gigantic exhaust tips on the S. The leather headliner was pretty awesome too and the panoramic roof only added to that. This is a very special car. The more I look at it and sit in it, the more I wish it wasn't winter and freezing friggin cold out there so I could actually drive one.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The zf8 automatic 8 speed is so good even after driving manuals for over 35 years.....my next sports car will have an automatic transmission...

I understand the reasons why so many prefer manual transmission feel but the performance loss makes the decision easy for me to make....

The locking converters of the zf8 and gms latest 8L90 make any gear but first most often a locked convertor affair.....offering that "connected feel" so many feel only a manual could offer in years past.

Jaguar is on a tear to force success in the marketplace.....with the engineering feat of AWD and now a manual transmission....for the f type....

Old 11-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsC6
The zf8 automatic 8 speed is so good even after driving manuals for over 35 years.....my next sports car will have an automatic transmission...

I understand the reasons why so many prefer manual transmission feel but the performance loss makes the decision easy for me to make....

The locking converters of the zf8 and gms latest 8L90 make any gear but first most often a locked convertor affair.....offering that "connected feel" so many feel only a manual could offer in years past.

Jaguar is on a tear to force success in the marketplace.....with the engineering feat of AWD and now a manual transmission....for the f type....
I can't find fault with anything you say above, and even though I didn't have a choice at the time, I'm very happy with the ZF auto. I am/was/am a "manual die-hard." With the incredible new auto trannies, it's now a bit of coin flip for me.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I can't find fault with anything you say above, and even though I didn't have a choice at the time, I'm very happy with the ZF auto. I am/was/am a "manual die-hard." With the incredible new auto trannies, it's now a bit of coin flip for me.
As "engaging" as a good stick is, damned if the shifts on the F-Type - and I'm using the paddle shifters 99% of the time - aren't smooth as silk! (My advice for anyone thinking of a manual F-Type is to also test drive the automatic; it might surprise if not shock you how good it is. Then..you could always buy the stick).

Last edited by RickyJay52; 11-28-2014 at 06:47 AM.