F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else is like the F type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I thought about the viper but then found out that I don't fit in it. The roof is too low and I'm not out of the norm tall. Not quite 6'3" with it mostly in my torso.

I would put the Evora S as a good competitor to the V6S.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:12 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Ive been thinking about what car I really own here. I was a Porsche guy for years and this car does not handle as well but is a hoot in many other capacities.

I was thinking that its actually quite similar to the sl63 at a considerably lower price point and with subtly better cornering. The sl seemed much heavier and ponderous on track. Both share a quieter gt-ish feel around town (never had that feel in the Carrera) but nothing comes close to the aural appeal of the ftype. Im also abig fan of torque. I was mixing it up a bit with an s4 this am and when we reached a light the driver put down his window and said "nice- that cars got a lot of *****"
Here is a great option. It's a priced bit higher, but has a proper manual 6 speed, amazing sound track and as for looks, well it wins hands down.

I'm ordering 2016 in October.

2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT: The Jalopnik Review

Old 07-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
Here is a great option. It's a priced bit higher, but has a proper manual 6 speed, amazing sound track and as for looks, well it wins hands down.

It depends on what you're interested in. The Vantage V8 GT is nice, but it doesn't really compete in the same class as the FTR, in my opinion. The Vantage is more of a GT car where the F-Type is more of a sports car. Honestly I prefer the look of the F-Type as well. But then again everyone has their own preferences.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Merlin
It depends on what you're interested in. The Vantage V8 GT is nice, but it doesn't really compete in the same class as the FTR, in my opinion. The Vantage is more of a GT car where the F-Type is more of a sports car. Honestly I prefer the look of the F-Type as well. But then again everyone has their own preferences.
That's were we disagree. I've researched them a lot, and the only thing the FTR has over the V8 GT is brute power, and I know that makes up for a lot of sins. If they were more evenly matched the GT would shine over the R. Aston has over the years refined the chassis, steering and handling and created a basically bullet proof care. The exhaust note of the Vantage is pure and not artificially enhanced like the R. Don't get me wrong I love the sounds of the a Jaguar.
I'm not a track guy, so none of this matters. This for me will be a pampered garage queen. Taken out on weekends and special occasion.

I love the FTR and really wanted to get on, and still might.

I know looks are subjective and both cars are beautiful. But as for the Aston, it'd a timeless design that looks as beautiful and modern as any car out there. And better. Yu

Old 07-19-2015, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

The V8 GT is priced about the same as a FTR. The V12 is another story. I looked at the V8 GT briefly before the FTR. The AM badge is definitely a different class than Jaguar. But the Vantage is a very old platform. The V8 GT is AM's last attempt to make some money of the 10+ year old platform. You can't go wrong with either, but it comes down to do you want something newer or do you want an AM. Now, the Vanquish....that's the car to have!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Been a while since I've seen this video. Frankly, don't even remember how much Chris Harris ranked them.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:40 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

That's were we disagree. I've researched them a lot, and the only thing the FTR has over the V8 GT is brute power, and I know that makes up for a lot of sins. If they were more evenly matched the GT would shine over the R. Aston has over the years refined the chassis, steering and handling and created a basically bullet proof care. The exhaust note of the Vantage is pure and not artificially enhanced like the R. Don't get me wrong I love the sounds of the a Jaguar.
I'm not a track guy, so none of this matters. This for me will be a pampered garage queen. Taken out on weekends and special occasion.

I love the FTR and really wanted to get on, and still might.

I know looks are subjective and both cars are beautiful. But as for the Aston, it'd a timeless design that looks as beautiful and modern as any car out there. And better. Yu
I've done a lot of research as well, though I was focused mainly on open-top sports cars that compete directly against the 911, Boxster, and Corvette C7 Z06. Power and performance is not the only differentiator, though it is a big one. My problem with the Vantage, and why I ultimately discounted it, is that its an old platform. While nice, the interior and instrumentation looks dated, the controls are oddly placed, and it is both heavier and has less engine power than the FTR. From what I've read and seen in videos it handles well, but it isn't as rigid and has a softer ride, which to me makes it more of a GT car than a true sports car. While money isn't my top factor when selecting a new car, price wise I feel the Vantage is too expensive for what it delivers, which means you're really paying for the badge, which I don't really care about.

Maybe with a complete refresh including an all new modern interior, new instrumentation, and a higher power engine it could be the best in class, but to me the outgoing generation isn't quite there. If the F-Type didn't exist I might have considered it, mainly because the Vantage is also beautiful. But more than likely I'd have gone with a 911 Carrera 4S or Boxster GTS over the Vantage.

But that is just me. What is important to me in a car is probably not the same as what you or anyone else is looking for.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I was cross shopping the V8 vantage and it was very short on features compared to the F-Type. Starting with no keyless entry, to no keyless go, to the dated infotainment, then the engine was basically the prior generation jag engine.

What really sold me was the Aston forum. They report a lot of issues I would not expect at that price point. Like failing finishes on interior parts, persistent squeaks and rattles, oil leaks etc. The car has lots of screws to tighten which is cool if you prefer screws to clips but not cool if you can't easily reach the screws.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
I was cross shopping the V8 vantage and it was very short on features compared to the F-Type. Starting with no keyless entry, to no keyless go, to the dated infotainment, then the engine was basically the prior generation jag engine.

What really sold me was the Aston forum. They report a lot of issues I would not expect at that price point. Like failing finishes on interior parts, persistent squeaks and rattles, oil leaks etc. The car has lots of screws to tighten which is cool if you prefer screws to clips but not cool if you can't easily reach the screws.
That's news to me, and I have read a lot. Basically a bullet proof car for reliability from what I can find.

The only piece of the engine shared with the AJV8 is the block casting, everything else is Aston Martin designed. And Jaguar V8 is still the AJV8, their V6's are Ford based engines. Each Aston engine is hand assembled by one technician at Aston's factory inside the Ford engine plant in Germany. I believe Jaguars are built on an assembly line

First I have heard of having to tighten screws, silliest thing I have ever heard. I could care less about the "infotainment", but each to his own there.

The Jaguar is a beautiful car, and I like them a lot. But I don't take my car to the track, it won't be a daily driver and 0 to 60 times really don't mean a thing since I won't be drag racing high school kids at the stop lights.