F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What F-Type Products would you like to see (Exhaust, Cats, Headers, Tuning etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts
Default What F-Type Products would you like to see (Exhaust, Cats, Headers, Tuning etc.)

Hi Everyone,

We're a new sponsor here, have posted a little in the XK, XF & XJ boards but not in the F-Type so far.

Our company is pretty well known in the Aston Community over on this site's sister board 6speedonline, but we've been making Jag exhausts since early 2008.

I always think the best part of these boards as a sponsor is getting to communicate directly with your potential customer base and as a potential customer, getting your voice heard and getting the products you want.

So, that said... what products would you be interested in seeing for the F-Type? I'm assuming things like exhaust, high flow cats and so on, but would be interested in your thoughts on specifics.

For example - full cat back exhaust? Just the rear boxes? Do you want valves or do you want noise all the time?

Lowering Springs?

Please chime in, I would love to hear some suggestions

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I'd certainly be interested in understanding whether there's any opportunity to further enhance the exhaust. The V8S sound awesome stock, but if there's any room for further improvement i'd be interested. Another thing, and I'm not sure if this in your area, but the car would really benefit from a couple of minor software tweaks - one touch top lowering/raising, the ability to open/close the top with the remote, and an ability to start the car without the loud initial full-on bark if required.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart@VelocityAP (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I would love to be able to lower my car an inch or two.

I second the one touch/remote top option. That'd be nice.

Ventilated seats!!!!! LOL gets hot in south Florida 12 months out I the year.

Stuart@VelocityAP (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by swajames
I'd certainly be interested in understanding whether there's any opportunity to further enhance the exhaust. The V8S sound awesome stock, but if there's any room for further improvement i'd be interested. Another thing, and I'm not sure if this in your area, but the car would really benefit from a couple of minor software tweaks - one touch top lowering/raising, the ability to open/close the top with the remote, and an ability to start the car without the loud initial full-on bark if required.
On the exhaust side there's always something that can be done. If it is just enhancing the volume a little bit, or someone wants a full-on aggressive setup. Probably a set of rear mufflers is a good start, especially if we go with a valvetronic setup you can have a more aggressive 'open' side because you always have the option of 'stealth mode' on the quiet side.

Software is something we can do for the F-Type, but chassis stuff like the top controls are not within that realm. I would need to get an original file and get our guys to take a look at it, but valve opening/closing is usually a fairly easy location to find and change, so setting up the valves to open at lower RPM ought to be feasible.

Does the car open the valves on cold start?

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I would love to be able to lower my car an inch or two.

I second the one touch/remote top option. That'd be nice.

Ventilated seats!!!!! LOL gets hot in south Florida 12 months out I the year.
I lived in South Florida I know what you mean!!!

Lowering Spring is definitely do-able. I have a company I'm working with on an Aston Lowering Spring that do really advanced progressive springs. Allows you to keep a firm spring rate for cornering, but the initial travel is nice and soft for all those potholes on 95.

I would need an original Front & Rear spring to work from, and a 'product tester' but it should be possible to make something that does the trick.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM

I think if there was a way to allow the adjustment of ride clearance to be done electronically...you would have a lot of people signing up check books in hand.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Sponsor

I think if there was a way to allow the adjustment of ride clearance to be done electronically...you would have a lot of people signing up check books in hand.
Does it have conventional or magnetorheological dampers?

That's a great suggestion. I'm going to talk to my spring supplier about the feasibility of that. My guess is that it would require a lot of plumbing into the hydraulics. That would probably be a very expensive retrofit.

What sort of price point would you expect to pay for that?

Are you looking for full-on raise/lower capabilities or is it a front clearance issue (ie - you just want to lift the front to get in and out of tight parking lots and over speed bumps?)

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Does the car open the valves on cold start?
Stuart, to answer your question, it does. One of the features with the car is that the active exhaust valves/flaps are open for the cold start so you get a very loud roar upon firing her up. It's absolutely awesome most of the time, just not so helpful when you want to make a stealthy getaway early in the morning without troubling the neighbors... A software toggle to allow a quiet start for the time you need it would be most welcome.

Stuart@VelocityAP (05-22-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Engine tuning, supercharger pulley, suspension lowering.

I see no reason to touch the exhaust unless its just to make it louder. If you change the sound at all I wouldn't buy the product. The F-type sounds amazing as it is.

Some custom wheels to maximize tire size would be of interest, but thats probably not cost effective.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

^ +1

Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 PM

There are a ton of cars that sound great out of the factory that are improved by an aftermarket exhaust. Not saying the F Type isn't great as is, but if someone can offer something that makes a difference there's no harm in taking a listen.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm new here, in fact this is my first post.

What I would like to see is complete tuning packages with given HP/TQ numbers.

Example would be a 650 HP package that came with all necessary parts and tune.

I have found it very difficult to find tuners and mods for the F-Type and am somewhat disappointed with the support vendors are giving this car.

Hopefully your company can fill the need for us mod bugs!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

Does it have conventional or magnetorheological dampers?

That's a great suggestion. I'm going to talk to my spring supplier about the feasibility of that. My guess is that it would require a lot of plumbing into the hydraulics. That would probably be a very expensive retrofit.

What sort of price point would you expect to pay for that?

Are you looking for full-on raise/lower capabilities or is it a front clearance issue (ie - you just want to lift the front to get in and out of tight parking lots and over speed bumps?)

You lost me at *very LOL

I think I speak for most when I say I didn't buy this car to have to update it like I did my very first Mustang.

I'll reiterate a spring kit would be nice for sure and that whoever said a tuner kit that had relatively specific HP gains associated it, would be nice.

From a previous post, flashing your ECU and then having it flashed away during a software update, doesn't sound like fun, especially if you don't live near the shop. A permanent, or 'reflashable' ECU upgrade would definitely be nice.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Sponsor

Stuart, to answer your question, it does. One of the features with the car is that the active exhaust valves/flaps are open for the cold start so you get a very loud roar upon firing her up. It's absolutely awesome most of the time, just not so helpful when you want to make a stealthy getaway early in the morning without troubling the neighbors... A software toggle to allow a quiet start for the time you need it would be most welcome.
So the change you're looking for here is to have the valves stay shut on startup, rather than open more often?

That could probably be accomplished by software, but in terms of practicality, even though you can flash back & forth between different files, I would recommend going with a different solution. It isn't something I would put together as a VelocityAP product because the majority of the cost is installation. Find a good shop that does electronics - like high end stereo and entertainment systems in cars that knows how do do high quality OEM looking installations.

They should be able to fit a nice looking toggle switch somewhere in the cockpit, and run some wires. That way you can have a toggle switch to open/close the valves quickly and override the system. That will probably be more cost effective and a better solution than flashing the ECU back & forth.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Engine tuning, supercharger pulley, suspension lowering.

I see no reason to touch the exhaust unless its just to make it louder. If you change the sound at all I wouldn't buy the product. The F-type sounds amazing as it is.

Some custom wheels to maximize tire size would be of interest, but thats probably not cost effective.
For the 3.0L, we're going to need to do a little homework as I'm not sure what charger they are using so we will probably need to engineer a new pulley.

The 5.0L Supercharged is the same as in the XF, XJ, XK so the pulley & tuning capabilities we have for those vehicles are transfer-able to the F-Type 5.0L

If anyone is interested in stepping up, PM me or email and we can discuss. Velocity is willing to contribute towards dyno costs under appropriate conditions.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ftype-R
I'm new here, in fact this is my first post.

What I would like to see is complete tuning packages with given HP/TQ numbers.

Example would be a 650 HP package that came with all necessary parts and tune.

I have found it very difficult to find tuners and mods for the F-Type and am somewhat disappointed with the support vendors are giving this car.

Hopefully your company can fill the need for us mod bugs!
Welcome to the board (says me who just joined last week )

I would love to have a complete tuning package available for the F-Type. At present we can offer ECU Tuning and Pulley for the 5.0L cars. I agree that we need to start building a body of dyno results for this package on the 5.0L cars. My attitude towards dynos is that the best scenario is to have a variety of results from a variety of independent dynos and then you can stick a pin in the middle. For example, I have found on the V8 Vantage that customers have fitted 200 cell catalysts, done their own dynos and the results have ranged from 12-13BHP on the low end, to 20BHP on the high end. When someone asks me what to expect, I can tell them that is the range of results we've seen, and that the median seems to be around 15-16BHP.

The reason I take this approach is that given all the variables with dyno testing, most of which are out of our control or even unknown, to quote super-exact figures like XX.XX BHP seems impossibly precise, and actual results will vary for most people. So the more results we get out there, the more we can say "These are the low & high outliers, this is the most common range."

So what will the 5.0L Engine do? We've always expected around 45-50BHP from pulley + tune. Although having said that, I did have a customer in California with an XKR who had pulley, tune, and a custom exhaust + high flow cats. He took the car to the dyno and ran 605BHP, however had not done an 'after' dyno so we don't quite know what the total gains were there.

Suffice it to say, there is HP on the table and it is very noticeable. Not "Oh yeah, I think there's a little more power here", you know straight away that the output is dramatically improved.

For the exhaust side of things, high flow catalysts are a no-brainer. It's not rocket science, switching to a motorsport style high-quality catalyst is going to bring more power.

I am also speaking with the owner of an XKR about making a long-tube header/catalyst combination part. One of the interesting things I have been told about forced induction engines is that a proper long-tube header with merge collector etc. (like the Aston one in my Avatar) can sometimes decrease boost, but allow the car to make more power. More power with less boost = less stress on the engine so that could be interesting as well.

So what I need right now is someone who is willing to step up and send us their OEM Exhaust + Catalysts. We would probably need a couple of weeks turnaround to be on the safe side and then we would send back and we can test-fit and sign off. At that point we should have a Pulley + Tune + Cats + Exhaust package that sits somewhere in the $3500-4000 range, and which should be making substantial increases.

If anyone is game for lending us their Exhaust/Cats please let me know. We typically offer people a 50% discount on the final product in exchange for doing this, so for argument's sake in this case we would effectively be paying you $1200-1500 for 2 weeks loan of your OEM parts.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

You lost me at *very LOL

I think I speak for most when I say I didn't buy this car to have to update it like I did my very first Mustang.

I'll reiterate a spring kit would be nice for sure and that whoever said a tuner kit that had relatively specific HP gains associated it, would be nice.

From a previous post, flashing your ECU and then having it flashed away during a software update, doesn't sound like fun, especially if you don't live near the shop. A permanent, or 'reflashable' ECU upgrade would definitely be nice.
I hear you. It is always the old 80/20 rule with this stuff. Integrating a variable ride height package on a car that doesn't have it is a major, major undertaking. Although, I appreciate the suggestion and even if it is something beyond our current capabilities I still like to hear about it.

Springs I can do, and if there's a market there we should get this one going. I will look into sourcing some OEM springs to work from and perhaps we can put together a group buy with a discount for early adopters.

Re: the ECU and software updates. That's not something you should need to worry about. Because our Android-based system includes the tuning cable which you keep, if your tune gets wiped in an update we can always get the tuned settings back on the PCM:

Jaguar/Land Rover ECU Tuning Supercharger Pulley Power

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Another thing, and I'm not sure if this in your area, but the car would really benefit from a couple of minor software tweaks - one touch top lowering/raising, the ability to open/close the top with the remote, and an ability to start the car without the loud initial full-on bark if required.
Stuart, I do not mean to hijack your thread and will stop with just this one comment, but this area is certainly within my realm and I plan to do these enhancements in the future.

If anyone wants to discuss these, please start another thread or contact me directly.

-Steve
TheJagWrangler - Home - About Us

Old 05-22-2014, 01:28 PM

I hear you. It is always the old 80/20 rule with this stuff. Integrating a variable ride height package on a car that doesn't have it is a major, major undertaking. Although, I appreciate the suggestion and even if it is something beyond our current capabilities I still like to hear about it.

Springs I can do, and if there's a market there we should get this one going. I will look into sourcing some OEM springs to work from and perhaps we can put together a group buy with a discount for early adopters.

Re: the ECU and software updates. That's not something you should need to worry about. Because our Android-based system includes the tuning cable which you keep, if your tune gets wiped in an update we can always get the tuned settings back on the PCM:

Jaguar/Land Rover ECU Tuning Supercharger Pulley Power
How much is the tune? Is it something you can email us and mail the cable and we do it ourselves? Because that'd be something I would want to do.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Sponsor

How much is the tune? Is it something you can email us and mail the cable and we do it ourselves? Because that'd be something I would want to do.
With the Pulley it is $995 + Shipping. If you want just the tune it is $845 + Shipping. Both include the cable, which you keep and yes you do it yourself.

The cable works with Android tablets & smartphones, so you install the app, read the file off the car and input your info. It uploads the file to our database and notifies our ECU Tuning team. They write the performance settings to your individual file and then upload the modified version. The app notifies you when it is ready and you can then write the performance file to the car.

Bear in mind, the performance improvements aren't going to be as noticeable if you just do the tune, as compared to the combination of the two.

www.velocityap.com

drgek (05-27-2014)

Quick Reply: What F-Type Products would you like to see (Exhaust, Cats, Headers, Tuning etc.)