F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this Forum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 08:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is this Forum?

I am a new owner of a 2014 F-type V8S, White with red. This seems to be the most active forum for these cars. Am I correct?

Old 10-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the place I've certainly learned the most regarding the F type. I've not yet joined the club, but am actively looking. Lots of very helpful members here.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
This is the place I've certainly learned the most regarding the F type. I've not yet joined the club, but am actively looking. Lots of very helpful members here.
+1 very knowledgeable and helpful group of enthusiasts, loads of great information 👍

Old 10-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I found this place while looking for a solution to disable the Eco Stop/Start. Since then I had gotten a lot of valuable information about the car that was not available anywhere else.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

There are a couple other F-Type forums, but they’re ghost towns by comparison to this one.

The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (10-29-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
There are a couple other F-Type forums, but they’re ghost towns by comparison to this one.

The title of this thread—What Is This Forum?—is one of the best I’ve ever read, and remains one of the great existential questions of our time. A wealth of information—thanks to this Forum I recently bought those little Jaguar-embossed rubber “circles” which go into and over the (scratched) silver cup holders—along with plenty of trivial matters.

And Unhingd: I happen to be partial to “Ghosts”.

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
ferrral (10-26-2020), Lani Kai (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Slochap
I am a new owner of a 2014 F-type V8S, White with red. This seems to be the most active forum for these cars. Am I correct?

I have one of those, and you will love the site for info. Lots of resources from searchable threads to questions of forum members. There are some very knowledgeable F type owners in here.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

This is the best forum I've ever been on.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:31 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

You will learn everything you need to know about your car here. And a lot you don't need to know. Great group of guys on here and just wait until you discover links to their drop boxes. Probably the most helpful folks on the entire internet.

scm (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 07:33 AM

Thanks to all for responding. I am enjoying this forum, many great pieces of advice so far!

Old 10-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Welcome. How is the car?? Enjoying driving it? All runs well?

Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Welcome to the used luxury car ownership. In my experience all cars start having mechanical issues right around 8 year mark, so keep that in mind as you are moving forward. You will be maintaining a formerly $100K+ car and need to budget for that. As F-type shares a lot of mechanics with earlier Jaguar XKR, even early F-types benefit from 'mid cycle' mechanical updates and are considered reliable. However, there are few common themes and re-occurring flaws that you will have to deal with.

Cooling system and plastic hoses - unfortunately a number of plastic coolant pipes in the engine bay were made from plastic that becomes brittle with age. Some of these pipes are in the engine valley, requiring removal of supercharger to replace. Parts were updated around 2017, but your early F-type does not have them installed from factory. This can fail two ways - sudden failure where you dump all coolant and overheat the engine or slow leak. This mode of failure made more dangerous in-dash engine temperature indicator being a running average. So by the time you see dash warning about overheating engine it have been happening for a few minutes. Treat anything related to cooling system as an engine-ceasing emergency. While this might be an overkill, I ask my garage to pressure test cooling system every year prior to storing it for the winter.

Engine oil and sludge. AJ133 engine in F-type uses direct injection. This means they are prone to building up sludge if oil is neglected. Fortunately, frequent oil changes using spec oil shown to largely mitigate this issue. Additionally, AJ133 doesn't have low oil pressure sensor, this means you can run the car out of oil and not know it. All of this means that you have to be religious about changing oil and monitoring oil level.

Injectors. AJ133 engine in F-type uses direct injection. This system has two stage pumps and high-pressure injectors. Injector failures are unfortunately known to happen where whole rail has to be replaces, but can be mitigated with regular use of PEA-containing injector cleaning. I recommend doing this annually.

Last issue, battery and charging. You have two batteries - start and stop and the main battery. When you plug anything into OBD port control module is known to get glitched and not completely power the car down, this in turn runs the main battery flat. To fix this, you need to disconnect the battery to reset it. This is huge inconvenience, can lock you out of the car and so on. My suggestions: a) know emergency unlock procedure (with mechanical key in the fob) b) avoid using OBD readers and so on. You can visually tell that the car did not fully power down if emergency triangle stays illuminated 10 minutes after you locked the car.

Also have to be said. If your car is still on Pzero tires - these are the worst tires in the industry. Upgrade to MP4S and transform how your car handles.

The following 6 users liked this post by SinF:
Fast Lane (10-30-2020), FLRRS (10-30-2020), madmax1911 (10-29-2020), mecheng1 (10-29-2020), More.Cylinders (12-29-2020), Suaro (10-30-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Excellent owner overview SinF. Obviously there are other possible issues but you covered the most frequent ones. Maintenance is key to these cars and they cannot be treated with disregard.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Welcome to the used luxury car ownership. In my experience all cars start having mechanical issues right around 8 year mark, so keep that in mind as you are moving forward. You will be maintaining a formerly $100K+ car and need to budget for that. As F-type shares a lot of mechanics with earlier Jaguar XKR, even early F-types benefit from 'mid cycle' mechanical updates and are considered reliable. However, there are few common themes and re-occurring flaws that you will have to deal with.

Cooling system and plastic hoses - unfortunately a number of plastic coolant pipes in the engine bay were made from plastic that becomes brittle with age. Some of these pipes are in the engine valley, requiring removal of supercharger to replace. Parts were updated around 2017, but your early F-type does not have them installed from factory. This can fail two ways - sudden failure where you dump all coolant and overheat the engine or slow leak. This mode of failure made more dangerous in-dash engine temperature indicator being a running average. So by the time you see dash warning about overheating engine it have been happening for a few minutes. Treat anything related to cooling system as an engine-ceasing emergency. While this might be an overkill, I ask my garage to pressure test cooling system every year prior to storing it for the winter.

Engine oil and sludge. AJ133 engine in F-type uses direct injection. This means they are prone to building up sludge if oil is neglected. Fortunately, frequent oil changes using spec oil shown to largely mitigate this issue. Additionally, AJ133 doesn't have low oil pressure sensor, this means you can run the car out of oil and not know it. All of this means that you have to be religious about changing oil and monitoring oil level.

Injectors. AJ133 engine in F-type uses direct injection. This system has two stage pumps and high-pressure injectors. Injector failures are unfortunately known to happen where whole rail has to be replaces, but can be mitigated with regular use of PEA-containing injector cleaning. I recommend doing this annually.

Last issue, battery and charging. You have two batteries - start and stop and the main battery. When you plug anything into OBD port control module is known to get glitched and not completely power the car down, this in turn runs the main battery flat. To fix this, you need to disconnect the battery to reset it. This is huge inconvenience, can lock you out of the car and so on. My suggestions: a) know emergency unlock procedure (with mechanical key in the fob) b) avoid using OBD readers and so on. You can visually tell that the car did not fully power down if emergency triangle stays illuminated 10 minutes after you locked the car.

Also have to be said. If your car is still on Pzero tires - these are the worst tires in the industry. Upgrade to MP4S and transform how your car handles.
Can we make this a sticky! Great info for us newbies that would normally take some time to find during a forum search. Thank you SinF!!!

Old 10-29-2020, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 579 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
Can we make this a sticky! Great info for us newbies that would normally take some time to find during a forum search.
You mean, like this one?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...issues-105493/

Old 10-29-2020, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slochap
Nice to know there's another F-Type in the area. As I'm from Cambria, I hope to see you on the road at sometime.

FYI: Even tho I purchased my F-Type from Santa Barbara dealership back in Dec 2013, I take it to Monterey as they seem to have a better service dept.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:24 AM

this is a car forum? i thought it was the new designer drugs forum. they say f-type gives a high unlike anything else. it has no crash or come down, and it always leaves you feeling great. the injector users say it hits with such force that heroin and fentanyl are nothing compare to the rush of the f-type. Personally, I like to snort it.

But, I've yet to find the forum that discuses synthesizing F-type and its analogs Dynamic, S, SVR, R etc. everyone is always talking about how great it is or how to fix bad batches. I hear that it won't wreck your teeth but that you will develop premature face aging from it's ability to push you through gravity.

I'm a true addict. I'm a daily f-type user. I lied, I do as much f-type as i can everyday,. I hope it won't cause any long term damage to my brain cells but the drug is so new there aren't any scientific papers published on its effects. I know one effect, from snorting it: i have a huge hole in my septum. when i breathe it sounds like the R's exhaust rattle as you downshift into a curve. It's time for another f-type hit.

Happy F-typing and have a safe trip.

Mbourne (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 05:39 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Lane
...I hope it won't cause any long term damage to my brain cells...
Too late!

Fast Lane (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 05:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Lane
... they say f-type gives a high unlike anything else. it has no crash or come down ...
Sadly, some breakers' yards can attest that in the right (wrong?) hands it's all too easy to crash.

Fast Lane (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is good to know! Which cup holder inserts do you recommend?

Quick Reply: What is this Forum?