F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to my touch screen?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 09:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What happened to my touch screen?!

Hi. I have a 2021 F-Type. When I parked my car last night the touch screen was working great. When I started it this morning, the screen was dead… completely dark. Has anybody else had touch screen problems? I’m still very much on warranty, but would appreciate any insight on what might have gone wrong… or if there are any settings/ quick fixes I might be able to try before taking it to my dealer?

Old 06-20-2021, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradski
Hi. I have a 2021 F-Type. When I parked my car last night the touch screen was working great. When I started it this morning, the screen was dead… completely dark. Has anybody else had touch screen problems? I’m still very much on warranty, but would appreciate any insight on what might have gone wrong… or if there are any settings/ quick fixes I might be able to try before taking it to my dealer?
Apart from the "same old, same old" about checking/charging battery which is kind of like the universal "reboot" to solve computer problems, I have nothing to add.
But also owning a 2021, I would appreciate it if you would keep us up to date with developments.
My problem relates to Siri and Waze working and able to navigate but not talking directions.
It is definitely a car-specific problem not a settings/I-phone issue, but earliest dealer can look is mid July (from about a month ago)
Best of luck.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:28 AM
Default Same problem

Just drive my 2021 F-Tpye to the gym. The touch screen is working again 🙃. However, I also have the problem of have no voice navigation when using Apple Car Play. The voice nav works fine using the car’s built-in nav, but not using Apple Car Play. I haven’t contacted my dealer about this ongoing problem yet.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:32 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Just drive my 2021 F-Tpye to the gym. The touch screen is working again 🙃. However, I also have the problem of have no voice navigation when using Apple Car Play. The voice nav works fine using the car’s built-in nav, but not using Apple Car Play. I haven’t contacted my dealer about this ongoing problem yet.
No personal experience of this but the volume levels are specific to each function (audio, park sensors, nav, etc.) so maybe CarPlay has a discrete level - have you tried turning the wick up while CarPlay is talking?

Old 06-20-2021, 12:22 PM

I have tried turning up the volume when Car Play should be vocalizing with no result. It’s interesting though because the voice nav worked for a long time with either the car or Car Play, then just stopped one day. Makes me think it is some kind of setting, but I haven’t been able to find one.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Your experience sounds very similar to my own.
When I first began using CarPlay and Waze (on CarPlay) both nav systems would give verbal step by step directions.
Then both stopped.
Niether my I-phone nor my wife's I-phone would work for verbal directions.
Both would initiate navigation using "Hey Siri", but then navigation was only provided by the map and on screen directions.

In contrast, both I-phones worked just fine for CarPlay verbal navigation in our Audi A7, and both phones worked fine in our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

We took the Jag to the dealer and sat with their tech expert. She was unable to make the system work with our phones or with hers, but her phone did operate verbal Carplay navigation on the dealer's demo F-Type.

Conclusion is something funky with our Jag (and likely yours).
Mine is booked in for a "repair" on July 6 - about 6 weeks after we made reservation!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, we also read about changing the colume while navigatiing - total rubbish!!

Old 06-20-2021, 10:46 PM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
No personal experience of this but the volume levels are specific to each function (audio, park sensors, nav, etc.) so maybe CarPlay has a discrete level - have you tried turning the wick up while CarPlay is talking?
I have tried turning up the volume when Car Play should be vocalizing with no result. It’s interesting though because the voice nav worked for a long time with either the car or Car Play, then just stopped one day. Makes me think it is some kind of setting, but I haven’t been able to find one.
Have you determine wether it is carplay base issue or app based issue.
meaning - carplay issue all sound is gone regardless of which app you are using,meanig no sound from spotify or waze or applemap or google maps

or app based -- no nav sound from googlemaps but sound from other apps is ok eg spotify, pandora etc.

If app based you do have to keep trying to adjust the volume up when the app is announcing navigation instructions. This is actually not easy to do as the timing window is quite small and you need some lucky timing.
Keep just putting in new destinations and start routing. may have to do it up to 10 times from past experience before you get lucky.
Or try deleting the app and reinstalling. Haven't needed to do this so not sure if it will work but it may reset the volume back to the default level.
This hidden volume setting is remembered by the phone on behalf of the app so hopefully it is reset with reinstall but not sure.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 AM
Received 108 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine did this twice, during the first 6 months I had it, once after not driving the car for a week or so, the other after it had done a couple of very short journeys and starting again the next day. The problem has not cropped up once since I fitted a battery maintainer (CTEK in my case).

Old 06-21-2021, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

My problem isnot battery related (full charge on CTEK) or volume related. I can see the volume for CarPlay is on max.
Waiting for JLR techs to sort in July.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:20 AM
Received 163 Likes on 104 Posts

The other shitty thing about this issue is there are multiple places where the chain of nav announcement sounds can get stuffed up making it very difficult to troubleshoot. All have to be turn on/ turned up. Sound volume settings in the app itself, the phone and finally CarPlay. The apps will tell you if you dive into their settling options, the phone unfortunately is the crazy adjusting the volume when nav announcement is happening caper. There is no visual setting that you can check or look up! The phone and app settings often will mysteriously change and stop working despite no one changing the settlings. Also within the apps themselves experiment with swapping between the select output of announcements ie:default output(wired if connected with cable or wifi if on wireless CarPlay ) Vs Bluetooth output. I think you can still select Bluetooth even if using a wired connection but stand to be corrected.
I have changed to nav announcements over Bluetooth and not had a problem since. You have to set this individually for each nav app you use. Having multiple nav apps running in the background eg google maps on display with both announcements from google maps and Waze happening is probably the best ever. Spotify etc remains on wifi

Last edited by Borbor; 06-21-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member

I am just hoping that JLR can sort this.
If so, I will try to get an intelligent response from them as to what they did, and post it here

Old 06-21-2021, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

I had the black screen in my wife's Range Rover (same basic setup). It took turning the car off and letting it go to 'sleep' to bring the screen back. Happened one time in three years.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:42 PM
Default Outcome of your July 6 dealer appointment?

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Apart from the "same old, same old" about checking/charging battery which is kind of like the universal "reboot" to solve computer problems, I have nothing to add.
But also owning a 2021, I would appreciate it if you would keep us up to date with developments.
My problem relates to Siri and Waze working and able to navigate but not talking directions.
It is definitely a car-specific problem not hihiwa settings/I-phone issue, but earliest dealer can look is mid July (from about a month ago)
Best of luck.

Hi! Just following up to see if your dealer was able to solve the issue of CarPlay not “verbalizing” turn by turn directions? I have yet to solve the same problem in my 2021.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Bradski:
Typical BS!!
Apparently, the last JLR automatic internet software update had a bug that stopped Carplay and Waze working properly.
My dealer told me this after waiting 6 weeks for an appointment and driving 40 miles.
Supposedly there is a fix coming with the next (unscheduled) software update.

Old 07-11-2021, 05:05 PM
Default Thank you!

I’ll pass the word on to my dealer…. And patiently wait 🙃

Old 07-11-2021, 05:33 PM
Default Thank you!

Sorry it was such a hassle to get an answer! I’ll pass the word on to my dealer…. And patiently wait 🙃! Thank you again!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

The patch to fix the Carplay/Waze audio issue is currently expected in August and will be available as an OTA update.

The following users liked this post:
Bradski (07-12-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I have also lost audio via CarPlay. Music plays from the phone just fine. No turn by turn nav announcements or hazard alerts from Waze. No alert sound when someone texts me. No siri sounds. Music is apparently the only thing that comes through.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

There's a work around (of sorts) for the lost Waze audio. Use the "Mode" button on the steering wheel to change the source over to CarPlay. The bad news is, that cuts off the ICTP audio. You can have either, but not both.

Quick Reply: What happened to my touch screen?!