Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I wish the F-Type had....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
What I don't like?
The transmission slams into park when I open the door to see better while parking. <--- That sucks! The paddles should be aluminum. The chromed plastic seat adjust buttons are starting to flake in places I can't even touch. The hood panel gaps above the front wheels are inconsistent. The rear speakers are mostly MIA. I would like a setting to keep the center vent up when the car shuts off to minimize wear. The driver screen needs to be 50% brighter in direct sun. The spoiler should have a stay-down mode for straight line performance. The rubberized interior coatings should be revised.

And my only two significant wishes - first, for a soft top material that didn't fray in symetrical patterns where the structure is rubbing, though it seems cosmetic so far. Wish two is mostly due to my preference for RWD, Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires as standard equipment.

Overall, 10 out of 10.
This is a very good list..... I have the same issue with the automatic stopping. I live on a heavily wooded lot and often open my door to pick up small branches that have fallen or other debris and the car slams into Park. Irritating. I also agree it would be nice if the spoiler stayed down on the highway.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

What some people are referring to as Emergency Brake Assist doesn't exist on mine as far as I know. What does exist as per the build sheet is AEB (Automatic Emergency Braking) which as I understand it is the autonomous activation of brakes based on information received from the forward facing camera. I've never tested the efficacy of the feature, and don't want to, but that's my understanding.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I suppose individuals who buy Jaguars will never be classified as "value customers," but I was just blown away by the fact that the new C8 Corvette and the base 4 cylinder F-Type cost about the same, and to get a 200 mph Jaguar you have to go to the SVR at 125K. That a lot to ignore. Maybe there just isn't a place for smallish manufacturers anymore. Sad. But the economics seem inescapable.

The following 2 users liked this post by Suaro:
Burt Gummer (11-20-2019), David Meier (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
However, I am constantly annoyed that there is no garage opener. Even today on a top F, JLR charges $260 for an item that should be standard equipment.

Remember it's not a USA specific car, those opener things are not commonly used in the vast majority of other markets so making it optional sounds sensible. I guess for the US market it might have been sensible to include it as either base or one of the basic options packages but it doesn't sound like it's worth losing sleep over to me

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I don't like?
....The paddles should be aluminum. The chromed plastic seat adjust buttons are starting to flake in places I can't even touch. The hood panel gaps above the front wheels are inconsistent. The rear speakers are mostly MIA. I would like a setting to keep the center vent up when the car shuts off to minimize wear. The driver screen needs to be 50% brighter in direct sun. The spoiler should have a stay-down mode for straight line performance. The rubberized interior coatings should be revised.
Completely agreed on the paddles, spoiler-down option, and the center vent.

Also...a rear backup camera that has a better resolution than a potato.

All of these I can live with. 11/10 would recommend.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I suppose individuals who buy Jaguars will never be classified as "value customers," but I was just blown away by the fact that the new C8 Corvette and the base 4 cylinder F-Type cost about the same, and to get a 200 mph Jaguar you have to go to the SVR at 125K. That a lot to ignore. Maybe there just isn't a place for smallish manufacturers anymore. Sad. But the economics seem inescapable.
You can't compare GM to Jag. But if you want to, the C7 is a more favorable matchup for GM. A C8 Stingray can pop $100K for light performance and reportedly terrible handling.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

I have an early <10,000 '14 F, and was amazed at the lack of equipment when I got it CPO, but over time I have come to appreciate in some strange way the lack of equipment. There is a sort of elemental purity in the car that reminds me of my college day cars of long ago. I especially feel that way when I can't figure out how half the equipment on the new Benz works. However, I am constantly annoyed that there is no garage opener. Even today on a top F, JLR charges $260 for an item that should be standard equipment.

I have a 04 V70R in the garage that is better equipped. Complete with active chassis.
You can have my opener - I use a visor clip on since I never could get the included one to work on my Corvette. Turns out that GM changed the opener so it wouldn't work with a Lift Master system.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:06 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You can't compare GM to Jag. But if you want to, the C7 is a more favorable matchup for GM. A C8 Stingray can pop $100K for light performance and reportedly terrible handling.
I think the excessive understeer was only mentioned in one review and, obviously, that was a pre-production car. I've had one C3, two C5's and two C6's, and I'll wait for the real car before I form an opinion. I can understand a mild push to make the car safer for the average driver, but even that can be eliminated with a track setting. Up to now, I've never seen an ill-handling modern Corvette. The Chevy engineer/drivers don't seem to think it's a problem.

BTW, a nice, reasonably equipped street C8 can be had for 75 to 80K, at least in 2020.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

With the cool way the car starts up with a roar, a remote start in an auto transmission car seemed like a given.

MidLifeinTN (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by O'Dell
I think the excessive understeer was only mentioned in one review and, obviously, that was a pre-production car. I've had one C3, two C5's and two C6's, and I'll wait for the real car before I form an opinion. I can understand a mild push to make the car safer for the average driver, but even that can be eliminated with a track setting. Up to now, I've never seen an ill-handling modern Corvette. The Chevy engineer/drivers don't seem to think it's a problem.

BTW, a nice, reasonably equipped street C8 can be had for 75 to 80K, at least in 2020.
Other Vettes are terrific handling cars but they where 50/50 cars. It's hard to get rid of what RT called "infuriating understeer" with a 60/40 foundation. Matt Farah's driving video also had screeching understeer around every turn and a few hairy moments. Astute watchers noticed one hairpin was edited completely out.

I agree the C8 has been a marketing success but that is using marketing to gauge marketing, and the car has never been tested by a real person so its too early to say if its any good. So far it looks to have serious issues, especially when your pro drivers are getting into major wrecks. There have been GM engineers who have leaked concerns that the C8 isn't working.

Personally, I see no point in going backwards in performance per dollar, but we are talking about the selfie generation and driving is less important than the infotainment system so what do I know?

Last edited by RacerX; 11-21-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by O'Dell
You can have my opener - I use a visor clip on since I never could get the included one to work on my Corvette. Turns out that GM changed the opener so it wouldn't work with a Lift Master system.
My 2014 has a garage door opener built-into the bottom of the mirror. Not so overseas?

Old 11-21-2019, 08:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
With the cool way the car starts up with a roar, a remote start in an auto transmission car seemed like a given.
This X 1000. Most $20-25K cars have this as a low-cost option, but you can't get it on an F-Type? Also, we need dynamic display of vehicle stats like battery voltage (especially with the many battery-related issues), oil pressure/level & tire pressure (i.e., while car is running). The idea of only viewing these in accessory mode is ridiculous.

Chawumba (11-24-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeinTN
This X 1000. Most $20-25K cars have this as a low-cost option, but you can't get it on an F-Type?
Did the early cars not have this? I've been using it via the Remote app with my MY18 for some time now.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Did the early cars not have this? I've been using it via the Remote app with my MY18 for some time now.
I forgot that later MY's had this available through the app - I know that some newer cars have this as an option through an app, but many more have this feature available as a button on the fob.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

My 2014 has a garage door opener built-into the bottom of the mirror. Not so overseas?
In the US, its an option @ $260 currently. From a UK post, I understand it is an option there also. If that is accurate, I expect it is always an option. But the importing subsidiary, JLRUSA in our case makes the call. It could be standard equipment in the US if JLRUSA wanted it to be. I know with other brands the regions have standardized equipment.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeinTN
I forgot that later MY's had this available through the app - I know that some newer cars have this as an option through an app, but many more have this feature available as a button on the fob.
In the Jaguar app you have to type your PIN to activate the remote start - a bit of extra security, I guess. And another benefit is you don't have to be within fob range of the car.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

A coat hanger hook.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
A coat hanger hook.
In the vert behind the seat is a semi rigid bumper "coat hanger" like appendage which makes a great coat hanger especially if you use a wire hanger. I transport shirts and sport coats all the time.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
A coat hanger hook.
The coupe has two of them, one behind each seat.
Well at least it does for every model up to 2019, not sure about the later models with the different thinner/lighter seats.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 302 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The coupe has two of them, one behind each seat.
Well at least it does for every model up to 2019, not sure about the later models with the different thinner/lighter seats.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Quick Reply: What I wish the F-Type had....