F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are most of you doing on oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

10k miles or 1 year. Whatever comes first.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Docmalone
I am set in my ways and have typically never gone over 5K miles before an oil change but if I am being too **** I can try to stretch it.
You are being too ****, but that's understandable. An alarming amount of people so used to the habits of old, that they do not accept technology advances and adapt with them. The follow statement probably won't change your mind, and that's okay, in the end it probably wont affect you much either way.

All things considered, the only people doing any type of R&D regarding your oil change interval is the OEM producing your car. The manufacturer is the only credible source to take advice from, because they are the ones directly affected via warranty issues. If the interval is too long, they are going to pay for it.

Now its not going to hurt for you to change the oil more often than recommended. Its going to cost you more, but sometimes piece of mind is worth it. The thing you have to keep in mind is that if you do it wrong (under-fill the engine, start the engine dry, or use some crazy gear oil) and the dealer attributes a failure to that, you're going to be paying for a new engine. Its the risk you take. Honestly, this risk is probably higher than the risk of something happening post warranty because of a 10k mile change interval. It's that safe these days.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

While under warranty, I take mine to the dealer when the car tells me to. That way it's recorded so there will be no questions in the event of a failure.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Number 1. Maybe insulting a moderator is a bad idea?
I am neither a moderator nor am I insulted. I take such things similar to being called a poopy-head.

Number 2. Both of your examples have absolutely nothing to do with oil change intervals.
Exactly.

Now who's the poopy head?

The following users liked this post:
SinF (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
I am neither a moderator nor am I insulted. I take such things similar to being called a poopy-head.
I'm sorry; coordinator

Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 PM

I'm sorry; coordinator
Make it poopy head coordinator and we've got a deal.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

All things considered, the only people doing any type of R&D regarding your oil change interval is the OEM producing your car. The manufacturer is the only credible source to take advice from, because they are the ones directly affected via warranty issues. If the interval is too long, they are going to pay for it.
The manufacturer is only interested in the durability of the engine
up to the point the warranty ends.

There are also influences that stand outside the realm of pure engineering.
For example, if the manufacturer includes oil changes in the purchase, they
have a financial interest in including less oil changes. Now, if they determine
that pushing an oil change interval to 15,000 miles results in 1 blown engine
in 10,000 but they save 10,000 oil changes at $100 per oil change, then
it is a viable financial consideration.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that if you do it wrong (under-fill the engine, start the engine dry, or use some crazy gear oil)
The only difference is now I do oil changes without a hoist
and without getting paid. Seems to me I'm still going to get
it done right.

SinF (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
The manufacturer is only interested in the durability of the engine up to the point the warranty ends.

if the manufacturer includes oil changes in the purchase, they have a financial interest in including less oil changes.
+1

Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
While under warranty, I take mine to the dealer when the car tells me to. That way it's recorded so there will be no questions in the event of a failure.
+1

That's the smart thing to do.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

See pages 9 & 10 in the link below for great illustrations of the difference between port and direct injection engines. On the same pages is a good discussion of the issue.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/association...rt-FINAL-1.pdf

Old 07-27-2016, 11:31 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
There is plenty evidence (e.g. premature chain failure issues, carbon build-up due to direct injection), you simply chose to ignore it. I can understand why - if I had S-type I'd probably run it until engine ceased. Why bother changing oil in it at all?
Number 1. Maybe insulting a moderator is a bad idea?

Number 2. Both of your examples have absolutely nothing to do with oil change intervals.
Originally Posted by Mikey
I'm a moderator and I'm not insulted either but now I'm feeling a little inferior should I splash out on an F Type to make my life complete?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Apparently, as Jaguar states below, irrespective of how many times we have our oil changed it's very important that we don't miss the complimentary one .......

Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance Coverage for all 2016 and newer Jaguar models covers factory recommended scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. A Service Interval Indicator appears every 16,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever occurs first, to tell you when necessary vehicle maintenance needs to be scheduled. In order to receive scheduled vehicle maintenance, you must bring your vehicle to an authorized Jaguar retailer within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the scheduled maintenance interval. Customers who do not bring their vehicle to a retailer within the required time for scheduled maintenance may not receive the missed interval service.

Some owners may wish to have their engine oil changed more frequently than required, should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions. These extra services may be performed on a customer pay basis and the Service Interval Indicator will not be reset.

The Passport to Service’s Maintenance Schedule Table describes the service and maintenance to be performed on your vehicle. Jaguar may publish updates to your Retailer for any changes to the maintenance schedules published in the Passport to Service. Wear and tear items (e.g., brake pads and windshield wiper blades) are excluded.

Having your vehicle serviced and maintained at the specified interval is critical to maintaining its long term durability. Failure to do this may invalidate the warranty under certain circumstances.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
The manufacturer is only interested in the durability of the engine
up to the point the warranty ends.
That is 100% not true. My company for example tests every vehicle to 150k miles for durability and if something fails in testing, it is fixed. If every engine failed immediately after the warranty period ended, sales would take a huge hit. We have a 150k minimum working life expectation for our engines and develop them to that standard.

Oil change intervals are not affected by cost to the dealership for free services. If the company deems it too expensive they lower or eliminate the amount of free services. Work for an OEM in the quality field before you start making assumptions based on how they work.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

That is 100% not true. My company for example tests every vehicle to 150k miles for durability and if something fails in testing, it is fixed.
I am an engineer in a different field, and I feel that automotive engineers don't get edge case testing. When you test, these 150k miles are somewhere in a controlled clean environment with simulated moderate loads, or at best prolonged but continuous road testing on empty roads in a good weather. This is not how/why engines fail.

For example, BMW and nikasil engine blocks. Boggles my mind that nobody tested these engines with high-sulfur fuel. What a fail. To make it worse, no recall so owners end flipping the bill for this fiasco. Another fiasco is Subaru engines and cold weather induced head gasket failure. Nobody bothered to test repeated cold starts in sub-freezing weather. I have plenty more examples like that. None of these engines made it to 150K without serious intervention.

What automotive engineers should do is put in old fluids, crank up heat to 40C, and feed it smog-filled air and contaminated fuel. They should also test repeated cold weather starts. Until such testing are industry-wide practice I won't take manufacturer's assurances on longevity seriously.

Work for an OEM in the quality field before you start making assumptions based on how they work.
Quality doesn't make decisions, suits and bean counters do. Can you tell me that you never, not once, was overruled on potential reliability issue due to costs?

Last edited by SinF; 07-28-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I am an engineer in a different field, and I feel that automotive engineers don't get edge case testing. When you test, these 150k miles are somewhere in a controlled clean environment with simulated moderate loads, or at best prolonged but continuous road testing on empty roads in a good weather. This is not how/why engines fail.

For example, BMW and nikasil engine blocks. Boggles my mind that nobody tested these engines with high-sulfur fuel. What a fail. To make it worse, no recall so owners end flipping the bill for this fiasco. Another fiasco is Subaru engines and cold weather induced head gasket failure. Nobody bothered to test repeated cold starts in sub-freezing weather. I have plenty more examples like that. None of these engines made it to 150K without serious intervention.

What automotive engineers should do is put in old fluids, crank up heat to 40C, and feed it smog-filled air and contaminated fuel. They should also test repeated cold weather starts. Until such testing are industry-wide practice I won't take manufacturer's assurances on longevity seriously.

Quality doesn't make decisions, suits and bean counters do. Can you tell me that you never, not once, was overruled on potential reliability issue due to costs?
Our 150k mile tests are on public roads, driven by random drivers on various routes, and cycle between hot/humid, hot/dry, altitude/temperate, and extreme cold at different facilities across the country. You're making assumptions again. I can't speak for every OEM out there, but from my experience this kind of thing is industry standard.

I don't know the BMW reference but the Subaru example is over 20 years old. Things have changed in testing.

Quality absolutely makes decisions just like every other group. Everything is a compromise, however when it comes to oil change intervals engineering sets the mileage and there is nothing the bean counters can do about it.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I'm sorry; coordinator
Sooo..Mikey...what the hell is a coordinator?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Is software engineering really engineering? I thought that was euphemism for computer programming. (Where are my meds!) lol

fine print: no need to argue this point...it really is engineering.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-28-2016 at 09:18 AM.
SinF (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Sooo..Mikey...what the hell is a coordinator?
The title of Regional Coordinator is granted when a given member can repeatedly demonstrate sufficient coordination to get a full glass of beer somewhere in the region of his mouth without spilling.

The benefits of the job include a single-use key for the executive washroom at HQ if we're ever in town and the right to observe the corporate jet from a reasonable distance. The pay is great too. I've negotiated a rate where I only pay half what the other guys do. Don't tell them.

Unhingd (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 AM

. Work for an OEM in the quality field before you start making assumptions based on how they work.
I was going to say you've forgotten to address the other two factors- OEMs only hire the stupid engineers, the ones that couldn't design their way out of a paper bag. This is part of the hiring process.

The other factor was that the bean counters are the ones that actually run the company, but I see our friend has already jumped on that one.

You comments about what actually goes on (speaking as someone with 30+ years in the engine OEM business) are spot on.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

the Subaru example is over 20 years old.
Here is Subaru example from 2012-2014 - new 2.0L boxer engines had serious oil consumption issues (again, no recall, supposedly 1L/1000km is 'normal') because flaw in the scraper ring design. Nobody tested these engines with the old engine oil and it only starts burning noticeable amount of engine oil after 2K or so. With 10K oil change interval (also new to Subaru) it takes multiple top-ups to not run dry between oil changes. They probably tested with the fresh oil using old change interval and never seen this issue.

I am offering Beer Bet that new Imprezas coming out later this year (or early next year?) with DI engine will have intake sludge problems. Boxer engine configuration makes it more likely, and Subaru is yet to produce trouble-free engine in the last decade or so.

Last edited by SinF; 07-28-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: What are most of you doing on oil changes?