Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a piece of ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What a piece of ....

Hi all,

Let me start off by saying I'm pretty pissed off with this car. This is not my first rodeo and also I've been in the automotive industry for 16 years until last year, at one point I even had my own shop. I have a ME degree and the car thing was purely out of love and passion, but the brain had some valid points. Better opportunity emerges so I move on. Also I'm 33, not really sure if that's relevant but anyway...

Got the car June 16th, 2016 R galicier white, alcantara or whatever jag calls it and black leather with light stitching, carbon roof, carbon brakes, every damn option, msrp was ~125k.
From the first second there was a rattle in the drivers door speaker, ok one thing, I could live with that, will get it fixed or figure something out myself. Then I can't pump gas because the pump shuts off every thirty cents so you can imagine how long it takes to fill up and I need to get gas everyday or other day, very annoying but again known issue and I've seen it with other cars also, I'll live, whatever. Then the carbon ceramic start to feel a bit "greasy" when warm, hard to describe, a kind of dead region in the middle of travel, brakes still there if you burry your foot in it but not carbon ceramic behavior. Again I thought to myself there's no way they'll be able to replicate this issue at the dealer and will tell me to **** off so I decided I'd deal with it later myself. Then the check engine light goes on and then off which turns out to be a slow responding O2 sensor.
Now this is the best part! Again this issue was there from day one. There is a little rattle that sounded like it came from the windshield vents or around that area. I drive the car for three weeks and thought this is very irritating and for sure they'll hear this and should be an fix.
So I take it into service, get a call a few days later wi the service manager telling me they think they have isolated the noise and that they think it's coming from a seam in the aluminum structure where a few pieces meet and that they need to remove the windshield and send it over to their JLR approved body shop for rebounding and riveting. I'm not very pleased to hear this, but what can I do at this point, so I say fine, make sure it's perfect or we'll have problems. Get a call a week later (now two weeks) and the service manager tells me that they have replaced the O2 sensor, they think they addressed the rattle and as for the brakes they feel normal to them, basically what I thought, **** off. They installed a new windshield since they cracked the original while trying to pull it out. THE BEST part they reinstalled the windshield and the noise is back. So they'll need to revisit the area to see why, also the service manager is going on vacation for a week and he'll contact me once he's back.
So I get a call from him yesterday (now three weeks) telling me that once again they have found the issue and the dash needs to be pulled out, at this point I was furious. Anyone with experience knows that dashed are one of the few things that will never go in like the way they were installed at the factory, it's unnecessary molestation of a vehicle.
So I drove the car for three weeks and the dealer has had it for three weeks and one day. Oh also I had them change the oil before delivery because the car had a few miles and had sat in the showroom for a couple of months, they overfilled it by two liters, but that's another story.
So far this is by far the worst experience I've had with a high end luxury brand. Jaguar has some very serious quality control issues that they need to address immediately if they plan to survive in the marketplace. I'm so over this car...

Sorry for the essay/rant, but this is very frustrating and I wanted to vent. So now nearly a month of them having the car and me paying for it, with no real guess as to when I would get it back.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I feel your pain. I had a number of cars over the years, including some that won CR top reliability scores that were problematic. It is always hit or miss.

I am sure someone, somewhere is still driving the world most reliable AMC Gremlin with everything original from new.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-11-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Ive owned my F for two months with 14K on it and not a single issue. Prior I have a SC 2112 XJ (same engine) for two years and not a single issue.

I wouldn't give up on Jag just yet but perhaps you can swap into another vehicle...No?

Compare the Glacier white you have with Polaris (far more popular) if you can live with a warmer white, there will be tons of options for you. Glacier not so much.

Tell them you have lost confidence in that particular car. They will either do something fantastic for you in terms of money, or they should get you into another car.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I would look into lemon laws. Agree 100% on removing the dash - it will never be like factory after that.

Start documenting everything, who you talk to, use email instead of phone, etc. Get a paper trail going if you have not already. The dealer will not be financially motivated because sadly the $125k MSRP resale is already surely <$100k.

Email daily - call daily - the squeaky wheel gets the greasing.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:20 PM

I blew a fuse after the oil thing and have been on their ***, one on the first things the service manager said yesterday was that we was aware that the car has been with them for 21 consecutive days and that he was somewhat aware in what direction it was going (lemon). He also said that he notified cooperate and had opened an inquiry with them last week.
Honestly after the dash bullshit I was super pissed and over it and just wanted to get off the phone as my blood pressure kept rising with every passing second, so i got off the phone with them. Originally I had notified the shop foreman that if they pull the dash i would not pick up the car, but yesterday I got so over it that I said do whatever you want. I think I'll have to wait until they finish and then look for an attorney.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

Curious...your location says LA...which store?

Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Mpowerr - I really wish you all the best and can relate, have had similar experiences.

If I were a Kardashian and the bumper feel off my car who cares, but I actually have to work for a living. Very frustrating, but so far it seems like the dealer is trying.

Good luck to you.

Mpowerr (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Curious...your location says LA...which store?
let me get it back and I'll PM you.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
I blew a fuse after the oil thing and have been on their ***, one on the first things the service manager said yesterday was that we was aware that the car has been with them for 21 consecutive days and that he was somewhat aware in what direction it was going (lemon). He also said that he notified cooperate and had opened an inquiry with them last week.
Honestly after the dash bullshit I was super pissed and over it and just wanted to get off the phone as my blood pressure kept rising with every passing second, so i got off the phone with them. Originally I had notified the shop foreman that if they pull the dash i would not pick up the car, but yesterday I got so over it that I said do whatever you want. I think I'll have to wait until they finish and then look for an attorney.
Don't sweat it mpower. You've got no financial investment, and certainly no emotional investment. The truth of the matter is if get out of that car at 125, you could get into a similar car with a few test miles on it for 90k. Take that 35k and bank it. Paying msrp for a jag is reason enough for u to run away

Old 08-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I agree with Burt. Lemon Law

[QUOTE=Burt Gummer;1513001]I would look into lemon laws. Agree 100% on removing the dash - it will never be like factory after that.

Start documenting everything, who you talk to, use email instead of phone, etc. Get a paper trail going if you have not already. The dealer will not be financially motivated because sadly the $125k MSRP resale is already surely

Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I believe lemon law in CA is 30 days in the shop in the first year. I don't think you'll have any problem as it doesn't appear they'll have it sorted out completely in the next 9 days. Enjoy your next new car.

Mpowerr (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
I believe lemon law in CA is 30 days in the shop in the first year. I don't think you'll have any problem as it doesn't appear they'll have it sorted out completely in the next 9 days. Enjoy your next new car.
Tberg thx so much for this. Great to know! Something I will etch into my subconscious moving forward.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 AM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
Hi all,

Let me start off by saying I'm pretty pissed off with this car. This is not my first rodeo and also I've been in the automotive industry for 16 years until last year, at one point I even had my own shop. I have a ME degree and the car thing was purely out of love and passion, but the brain had some valid points. Better opportunity emerges so I move on. Also I'm 33, not really sure if that's relevant but anyway...

Got the car June 16th, 2016 R galicier white, alcantara or whatever jag calls it and black leather with light stitching, carbon roof, carbon brakes, every damn option, msrp was ~125k.
From the first second there was a rattle in the drivers door speaker, ok one thing, I could live with that, will get it fixed or figure something out myself. Then I can't pump gas because the pump shuts off every thirty cents so you can imagine how long it takes to fill up and I need to get gas everyday or other day, very annoying but again known issue and I've seen it with other cars also, I'll live, whatever. Then the carbon ceramic start to feel a bit "greasy" when warm, hard to describe, a kind of dead region in the middle of travel, brakes still there if you burry your foot in it but not carbon ceramic behavior. Again I thought to myself there's no way they'll be able to replicate this issue at the dealer and will tell me to **** off so I decided I'd deal with it later myself. Then the check engine light goes on and then off which turns out to be a slow responding O2 sensor.
Now this is the best part! Again this issue was there from day one. There is a little rattle that sounded like it came from the windshield vents or around that area. I drive the car for three weeks and thought this is very irritating and for sure they'll hear this and should be an fix.
So I take it into service, get a call a few days later wi the service manager telling me they think they have isolated the noise and that they think it's coming from a seam in the aluminum structure where a few pieces meet and that they need to remove the windshield and send it over to their JLR approved body shop for rebounding and riveting. I'm not very pleased to hear this, but what can I do at this point, so I say fine, make sure it's perfect or we'll have problems. Get a call a week later (now two weeks) and the service manager tells me that they have replaced the O2 sensor, they think they addressed the rattle and as for the brakes they feel normal to them, basically what I thought, **** off. They installed a new windshield since they cracked the original while trying to pull it out. THE BEST part they reinstalled the windshield and the noise is back. So they'll need to revisit the area to see why, also the service manager is going on vacation for a week and he'll contact me once he's back.
So I get a call from him yesterday (now three weeks) telling me that once again they have found the issue and the dash needs to be pulled out, at this point I was furious. Anyone with experience knows that dashed are one of the few things that will never go in like the way they were installed at the factory, it's unnecessary molestation of a vehicle.
So I drove the car for three weeks and the dealer has had it for three weeks and one day. Oh also I had them change the oil before delivery because the car had a few miles and had sat in the showroom for a couple of months, they overfilled it by two liters, but that's another story.
So far this is by far the worst experience I've had with a high end luxury brand. Jaguar has some very serious quality control issues that they need to address immediately if they plan to survive in the marketplace. I'm so over this car...

Sorry for the essay/rant, but this is very frustrating and I wanted to vent. So now nearly a month of them having the car and me paying for it, with no real guess as to when I would get it back.
Sorry to hear - I can relate... The dashboard issue sounds awfully similar to mine. Check out the videos in my sig and see if you have the same issue.
They "fixed" mine by taking apart the dash. The issue was gone for a while, but some of it started coming back again these past few days...

Mpowerr (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

reading your post makes me happy i spent half as much as you with a fraction of total "problems"

Old 08-10-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
I believe you are right, now. What I don't know is if I'll be able to make them pay attorney fees or if that's coming out of my pocket. I'll have to look into finding a lawyers and investigating this. It frustrates me even further because it takes a lot of time out of the day which I don't really have to deal with this... It's a shame I really liked this car, don't care much for it anymore.
Also still no call or update from the dealer as to where their progress is...

Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by pistol
Sorry to hear - I can relate... The dashboard issue sounds awfully similar to mine. Check out the videos in my sig and see if you have the same issue.
They "fixed" mine by taking apart the dash. The issue was gone for a while, but some of it started coming back again these past few days...
How long did it take for it to come back?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Very sorry to hear that you are having these problems. Look at what this Porsche 911 owner went through- maybe you need to start putting up some youtube vids like he did :

Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP - sorry you got a bad one and I hope they either fix yours or replace with a more reliable vehicle.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Well, I just watched the video on the Porsche.. wow, that is a total mess.

I hope your Jaguar comes back good as new so you can enjoy the car as I'm sure you intended when you decided to buy it. My experience with now 4 Jaguars has been really good ... it seems you ended up with one that has a number of problems and perhaps made worse if the dealer is not up to it.
Lawrence

Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Attorney Fees

Under the California Lemon Law, the Manufacturer will pay the attorney fees. The car is presumed to be a lemon if it is with the dealer for 30 days within the first 18 months or 18,000 miles. The days do not have to be consecutive or even for the same issue.

You can contact Jaguar directly as well, they take about 30 days to make a decision after looking at the case details, although in my experience the CRC reps are incredibly inefficient and mostly a waste of time.

Quick Reply: What a piece of ....