F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a piece of ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ftypeLEMON
This is the same thing that happened to me - they kept apologizing and saying they were going to fix the problem. It was only after I hired a lawyer that they tried to rectify the situation. Well, it was too late.

My lawyer advised that generally manufacturers will do nothing until a lawyer is hired because nothing will happen on the consumer end without one. In other words, if they keep ignoring and apologizing, the customer may withdraw their complaint or simply give up.
So when Jaguar USA gave you money to buy back your lemon car, how much did the lawyer take? Did you get the full purchase price or a depreciated value? If the lawyer doesn't get more than the purchase price, you end up loosing out financially, right?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think automatic escalation to lawyers, as advised by lawyers, is self-serving advice by lawyers. Sure, sometimes you have no choice...

Old 08-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Ok I was trying not to bash the dealer as I thought they tried, but now I know they really don't give two *****, so I will. A day after picking it it up the rattle in the drivers door slowly came back and there is also a very faint new rattle in the door that's caused by road vibration, I think it may be the latch release cable that's not properly fastened in its clip or something like that. Also the rattle behind the passenger seat is still there as before.
Now the kicker, when they were doing the rebonding and riveting the seams to fix the main click/rattle by the windshield they had to send the car back back and forth to a body shop, I very clearly expressed to the service manager that I only really trust one body shop in la that I've had prior dealings with and fully trust their work and attention to detail. He confidently assured me that this body was top notch and was the only one approved by corporate and was certified for the structural bonding, I was hesitant but had no choice.
So the next morning after picking up the car I noticed that the Carbon roof looked a bit hazy, upon closer inspection I found that there is oversray all over the carbon roof and random parts of the car, very clear if looking up close and feels gritty rough to the touch, there's even marks where they had put tape down to hold the windshield down while the adhesive was curing that once pelled clearly show the overspray. Texted the service manager on Thursday with pictures to express my extreme disappointment of the situation, he said he was sorry and that that was indeed disappointing and that he was out of the office and was going to call Friday to discuss fixing it, Friday comes and goes and nothing, no call, no text, nothing. After having my car for a months and clearly showing no care or regard or attention to detail for someone else's property, after personally assuring and promising that he will personally overlook my car due to their previous **** up, he expects me to bring it back... I asked in my Thursday text that they send out a mobile detailer to fix the issue and he tells me that I have to bring it in.
Their previous **** up that I mentioned above was right after delivering the car. When I got the car, it had a some miles on it, so they offered to do an oil change and did it prior to me taking delivery. After driving the car for a few days I noticed that Everytime I was at WOT I could smell oil, thought they may have spilled a few drops, not a huge deal, then while filling up I noticed that the tips appeared to be a bit wet and have too much soot/black crap over it, so I wipe it off with a paper towel at the gas station and sure enough a bit wet/moist, smelled it and sure enough smells like oil. Right away I checked oil level and it said overfilled. Drove to a friends shop and put it on the rack and drained oil until the level read at max. I had drained 2 liters of oil. Needless to say I blew a ****ing fuse and contacted my sales guy and said I needed to know the name of the brain dead tech that worked on my car, wouldn't give it to me, a couple of days later I was contacted by the service manager and they profusely apologized and said that that had never happened before and asked what they can do to make it right, blah blah, and asked if I could please not send a letter to corporate as I was intending to. I had calmed a bit and thought, hey mistakes happen sometimes , and as long as it would not happen again I guess we can move on. I was told that if I gave them another chance he would personally watch over my car and guaranteed that no mishaps like that would happen again as they pride themselves if flawless work , blah blah. Now this.
The dealer in question is Hornburg Los Angeles service on Wilcox.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not a all Bashing...bashing would be to take a hammer to the front window of the building. Something I am sure you considered.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Mpowerr,
Sorry to hear of your plight. I personally would be seeking a Lemon Law buyout at this point. I think you have been more than patient and should expect them to make it right with a refund (or new replacement). The damage that they have incurred (on a new car, no less) might or might not be fully reparable. PM sent.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-20-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Dumb question but what are the real ramifications of an oil overfill. Is this a dangerous situation or more just correctable incompetance.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Dumb question but what are the real ramifications of an oil overfill. Is this a dangerous situation or more just correctable incompetance.
An overfill by substantial proportions can destroy an engine. An overfill of 2 liters might not do anything.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

If that's the case why would the oil reserviour be so big that one could put enough in to cause engine damage? Wouldn't a smaller tank solve the potential for catastrophic failure?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MalibuFtype
So when Jaguar USA gave you money to buy back your lemon car, how much did the lawyer take? Did you get the full purchase price or a depreciated value? If the lawyer doesn't get more than the purchase price, you end up loosing out financially, right?
When Jaguar lawyers offer a buyback, they are also agreeing to pay for all lawyer fees. The consumer doesn't pay a single dime to the lawyer in this process. They (Jaguar) states how much they are willing to buyback the vehicle for, which is generally the purchase price paid, but YMMV.

Once my PM feature is activated I'll talk to you. Does anyone know how to get the inbox activated?

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Once my PM feature is activated I'll talk to you. Does anyone know how to get the inbox activated?

Thanks.
You have to reach a minimum amount of posts. Ten I think.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
If that's the case why would the oil reserviour be so big that one could put enough in to cause engine damage? Wouldn't a smaller tank solve the potential for catastrophic failure?
The oil pan is sized to hold the amount that the designers required for proper lubrication and cooling. There's likely a bit of extra room at the top of it for some overfill. Greater overfills lifts the level into the crankcase where it can get hit by the crankshaft and connecting rods which causes additional friction and churns the oil. This can cause all manner of issues.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When Jaguar lawyers offer a buyback, they are also agreeing to pay for all lawyer fees. The consumer doesn't pay a single dime to the lawyer in this process. They (Jaguar) states how much they are willing to buyback the vehicle for, which is generally the purchase price paid, but YMMV.

Thanks.
You might want to advise Mpowerr since he's potentially seeking a lemon law settlement. I have had no issues with my car.